Rory Butcher - BTCC

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm PostPost subject: Rory Butcher - BTCC
AK
Site Admin

Good to see the news finally go public Very Happy

Good luck to him, hope the testing gets all the new build niggles out of the way and he can have a good run at the KH round at the weekend Thumbs Up

http://www.btcc.net/2017/08/07/butcher-in-at-team-shredded-wheat-racing-with-duo/

Quote:

Scotsman Rory Butcher will make his Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship debut on home soil at Knockhill this coming weekend, with the 30-year-old confirmed as part of the Team Shredded Wheat Racing with DUO line-up for the remainder of the Motorbase-run squad’s 2017 campaign.

Butcher re-joins the Motorbase fold having previously raced as part of David Bartrum’s British GT and Blancpain Endurance Cup crew in 2014 and 2015. Although new to touring cars, the Fife-based driver has extensive international sports-car experience with numerous wins and podiums to his name; and also has first-hand knowledge of the TOCA package from his time competing in the Porsche Carrera Cup where he secured 5 race wins and 19 podiums on his way to claiming 3rd in the Championship in 2013.

“As soon as we knew that we had to get the third car back out for Knockhill onwards, Rory became our natural choice for the seat;” said Team Principal David Bartrum. “Rory is a Motorbase driver through and through; he’s done a lot with us in GT racing, we know him very well and he knows Knockhill very well which was a huge plus as it’s the first test for the new car.

Following Luke Davenport’s catastrophic crash at Croft at the end of June, Motorbase were forced to complete the build of a replacement car in time for this weekend’s upcoming meeting at Knockhill in order to keep hold of all its TBLs (touring car licence). Incredibly, the sixth Ford Focus ST chassis has been completed from start to finish in just over 4 weeks and Butcher is expected to make the shakedown at Ford’s test track in Dunton, Essex on Wednesday (August 9) where the #6 machine will turn a wheel for the first time before the team makes its way North.

“Considering the size of the accident at Croft, we were hoping that TOCA would be a bit more respectful of Luke’s condition regarding the third car whilst he was still recovering in hospital and also of our position with the timescales involved;” Bartrum explained. “However, it was made very clear that there was no leeway at all in regards to losing our third licence so we had no choice. Ideally, we would have liked to have been given until Rockingham to ready the car, but luckily – thanks in no small part to Alex at DUO – we’ve managed to hit the deadline set by Alan Gow.”

“The boys in the workshop have done a monumental job to get the new car built and ready in time for this weekend. I owe a big thank you to Richard Townsend and Willie Poole for their efforts on this because without them pulling out all of the stops to get the metalwork ready for us we wouldn’t have had a chance of making Scotland.

“Antony, Jason, Tim and Tom and a friend of mine Mark Lawrenson have turned that car around in an unbelievable amount of time;” remarked Bartrum. “They got the car off the truck at 8am on Wednesday morning as bare metalwork and it was fully painted and prepped by the following evening, they then took on the build of the car and at 9am on Monday morning she was running.”

“It is an amazing achievement when you see the amount of work that goes into the build of a completely new car from scratch.”

Butcher’s debut is expected to attract a good deal of local support for the Kirkcaldy driver. As well as racing in front of his home crowd on the notoriously tricky Knockhill circuit, the weekend will also be a family affair for the Scotsman lining up on the grid against his brother-in-law and reigning BTCC Champion, Gordon Shedden.

“The car has only just been built and it’s my first time in touring cars so it’s a kind of shakedown for the car and me;” said Butcher. “I’m absolutely buzzing though! When I first started racing, I looked up to the touring cars and it was my ambition to reach the BTCC grid. Although my racing career has ended up going across to sports car racing and the GT world, switching over to the BTCC is a dream come-true. Obviously it’s got close relations to the family with Gordon [Shedden] being my brother-in-law and it’s exciting to have the chance to join him on the grid for the rest of this season.”

Team Boss David Bartrum added; “Rory will be under the spotlight at Knockhill as a local lad, coupled with the fact that we’ve got a car that will race in anger for the first time on Scottish soil. He’s had very limited testing so I hope people give him some space and don’t put him under too much pressure. Knockhill will be a glorified test for Rory and the new car and I’d like us to get a weekend under our belt and then go well from Rockingham onwards.”

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:03 pm PostPost subject:
Evo4dav
established user

Awesome news.
Hope the car performs well as we all know Rory can.
Would be great to see him do well on his debut at his local circuit. 🏁

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Great news, awesome to see another Scottish driver in BTCC. Hope the car does him justice this weekend!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Fantastic and much deserved. I hope the new car matches the talent

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 am PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

will be running some production glassfibre stickers on it, good on phil helping him get the drive.

created and powered by Extreme Motorsport

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

Phil has done so much to bring the best out of scottish talent, there cant be many drivers that have done well in national or international series without some help from him. Lovely guy too, loves his sport and not scared to open his wallet

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:14 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Great set of results and a shame that he had pole then moved to second. Bitter sweet I suppose.. 9th is better than 10th and pole would have prob had same NET result for race 3.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:52 am PostPost subject:
scotiamr2t
user

Was a good days racing although some of the driving from professional drivers was somewhat questionable at times. I know its BTCC and some rubbing is seemingly mandatory but on numerous occasions drivers seem to simply just run people off the track.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Yes. Agreed. There now seems to be an acceptance that you can go into a bend 2 or 3 abrest knowing that you can lean on a competitor to help you round or force him off?

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:29 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Questionable driving standards is hardly a new phenomenon to the BTCC!

Laughing

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

I agree but I think there could be a point has been reached where there needs to be a sea change. Motorsport is dangerous and all about pushing limits. However, most series accept there is a risk of accident whereas in BTCC it is is now expected and it is just the number and severity of damage. Surely not right?

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

I agree, however go watch any closely matched series, Cammish was run off the road in the last Porsche race with a fairly lenient grid penalty as a result. Having watched mini's at close quarters there is absolutely no way I would enter that as the contact is horrendous at times!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Yup. I would love to Race but couldn't afford the damage, emotionally as well as financially.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:13 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

foz01 wrote:
I agree, however go watch any closely matched series, Cammish was run off the road in the last Porsche race with a fairly lenient grid penalty as a result. Having watched mini's at close quarters there is absolutely no way I would enter that as the contact is horrendous at times!

it is horrendous at times - the times cars are on track. on plus side when cars aren't on track no contact Wink

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I've done 6 races now... not that bad

Race 1 - had a wee bash - my fault. No damage to other car, but my bumper and rad were dinged.
Race 2 - nothing to report
Race 3 - ripped OSF corner off, but no chassis damage. Fixed. Wasnt a crash that i'd class as an issue with driving standards. Avoidable, but its 'racing'

Race 4 - Nothing
Race 5 - Wee bumper scuff where a car came back onto the track in a bit of a hap hazzard way forcing me to either hit him or lift a touch. We had a small rub but nothing major. I still think he should have been a bit more aware when coming back on to track but.... yeh... 'racing' again and I would have no doubt done that same if it were the opposite way.
Race 6 - Nothing

Had tussles in all races, banged wing mirrors etc but not clattering side to side, so IMO its not bad at all (in the Minis).... or maybe I'm still learning and currently give too much room to others LOL
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic