Riding the sausage kerbs

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 pm PostPost subject: Riding the sausage kerbs
arm10
user

To all top guns out there. What is it like entering the sausage kerb at the top of the chicane? Is entry like a ramp or the worst speed bump?

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Ever walked the track?

Do it next SLS round (evening before, early morning if you check its ok).

The chicane kerb is nice and sloped to allow you to mount it from the start (start of kerb in normal direction)..... that doesnt always give the best line though.

The sides (if coming from tight on the left against the bail) are more high sided and bounce the car up
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:58 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

Brilliant Adam. Exactly what I needed to know. I thought about walking the track but I am no good at hills coming back up. However, I have been trying tight left but my natural line is slightly in so trying the kerb from that could be a plan

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:36 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

As Adam says, if you hit the kerb early, when your wheels are straight, you tend to glide over the kerb then turn when landed. If you hit the kerb late and after start of turn-in, that's when it can get brown pants time.

I believe you can carry more speed if you take the kerb and take it early.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:52 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

HummuH wrote:
As Adam says, if you hit the kerb early, when your wheels are straight, you tend to glide over the kerb then turn when landed. If you hit the kerb late and after start of turn-in, that's when it can get brown pants time.

I watched your last video which looked impressive and controlled. Thats what prompted the question.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

I think Newsham tried the Sausage Kerb at the BTCC. His car got to about here /

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:23 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

arm10 wrote:
HummuH wrote:

I watched your last video which looked impressive and controlled. Thats what prompted the question.

It can also depend on how your suspension is set up. I run the Copa quite soft, both springs, ARB's and rebound. Upside is it rides the kerbs well, downside is that it will bottom out/crash land coming through Butchers which can sometimes upset Chicane entry.

If you run a very stiff set-up (which is wrong for Knockhill imo unless on slicks) and hit the sausage kerbs, the effect can be much greater as the car almost "bounces" off them rather than absorbs them.

Chicane kerb is fine, but I would avoid all other sausage kerbs on the track, with perhaps the exception of Duffus but that's an unnecessary risk to take unless you need to pull an overtaking maneuver.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

I need to work on spring rates as suspect its too stiff for KH, unless on full slicks as already stated, already had to wind camber off the car, a full slick set up for the likes of donnington at a wet knockhill can be Shocked

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 am PostPost subject:
arm10
user

HummuH wrote:
arm10 wrote:
HummuH wrote:

It can also depend on how your suspension is set up. I run the Copa quite soft, both springs, ARB's and rebound. Upside is it rides the kerbs well, downside is that it will bottom out/crash land coming through Butchers which can sometimes upset Chicane entry.

If you run a very stiff set-up (which is wrong for Knockhill imo unless on slicks) and hit the sausage kerbs, the effect can be much greater as the car almost "bounces" off them rather than absorbs them.

Chicane kerb is fine, but I would avoid all other sausage kerbs on the track, with perhaps the exception of Duffus but that's an unnecessary risk to take unless you need to pull an overtaking maneuver.

Interesting . I used to bottom at Butchers but cured by fitting MSS springs which were developed for some VAG failings and in particular my car. It has a double spring set up using soft on top of hard. I am impressed google mss spring kits. Softer than oem on potholes etc and stops roll at speed.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 pm PostPost subject:
-Jamie-
user

Depends on your setup, The AST's on my Megane ride them extremely well, Far better than the stock setup ever did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRzRwiQS5WA

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic