top

Harness in road class

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm PostPost subject: Harness in road class
Wull
user


Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 266
Location: Killin

Reply with quote

Because itís not mandatory in the road class for harnesses to be fitted does it matter how theyíre fitted if you choose to do so?

Iíve seen people securing lap belts by drilling 2 holes and then using the correct hardware to mount them.

My plan on the Impreza was to use the existing mount for the std seatbelt lap belt, and the frame for the bucket seat has a mount inboard where the seatbelt clip would be mounted if used.

For the shoulder straps I plan on using the rear seatbelt mounts but with a harness bar to give the correct angle for the straps. I may use the harness bar to wrap them like on my Evo but I have read that the harness bar is purely to give the correct angle and not to wrap them. Whether thatís true or not Iím not sure.
_________________
ND spec'd Evo 8
Impreza bug sti track car
Wagon SL ppp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user


Joined: 28 Aug 2013
Posts: 229
Location: Edinburgh

Reply with quote

I'm hoping no. I have doubled up on existing mounts on floor and existing rear belt mounts. Mine is cheap 3 point but my standard belt is still functioning for daily driving. My angle is marginal but I don't want to mess up car with harness bar and decided against half cage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user


Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 266
Location: Killin

Reply with quote

arm10 wrote:
I'm hoping no. I have doubled up on existing mounts on floor and existing rear belt mounts. Mine is cheap 3 point but my standard belt is still functioning for daily driving. My angle is marginal but I don't want to mess up car with harness bar and decided against half cage


I'm kind of guessing so, the fact they're not required and can be out of date as well, same with the seat. That was Gordon that told me that iirc.
_________________
ND spec'd Evo 8
Impreza bug sti track car
Wagon SL ppp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm PostPost subject: Re: Harness in road class
scottish scrutineer
established user


Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 574

Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
Because itís not mandatory in the road class for harnesses to be fitted does it matter how theyíre fitted if you choose to do so?

Iíve seen people securing lap belts by drilling 2 holes and then using the correct hardware to mount them.

My plan on the Impreza was to use the existing mount for the std seatbelt lap belt, and the frame for the bucket seat has a mount inboard where the seatbelt clip would be mounted if used.

For the shoulder straps I plan on using the rear seatbelt mounts but with a harness bar to give the correct angle for the straps. I may use the harness bar to wrap them like on my Evo but I have read that the harness bar is purely to give the correct angle and not to wrap them. Whether thatís true or not Iím not sure.


Don't use the same mount for the harness anchor as the seats. If the seat frame/mount fails, especially as the load will be quite high, then there will be nothing holding you.

Use the correct mounting hardware plates, the factory mounts to the shell, or properly fitted harness bars.
_________________
Renny
MSA Scrutineer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am PostPost subject: Re: Harness in road class
Wull
user


Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 266
Location: Killin

Reply with quote

scottish scrutineer wrote:
Wull wrote:
Because itís not mandatory in the road class for harnesses to be fitted does it matter how theyíre fitted if you choose to do so?

Iíve seen people securing lap belts by drilling 2 holes and then using the correct hardware to mount them.

My plan on the Impreza was to use the existing mount for the std seatbelt lap belt, and the frame for the bucket seat has a mount inboard where the seatbelt clip would be mounted if used.

For the shoulder straps I plan on using the rear seatbelt mounts but with a harness bar to give the correct angle for the straps. I may use the harness bar to wrap them like on my Evo but I have read that the harness bar is purely to give the correct angle and not to wrap them. Whether thatís true or not Iím not sure.


Don't use the same mount for the harness anchor as the seats. If the seat frame/mount fails, especially as the load will be quite high, then there will be nothing holding you.

Use the correct mounting hardware plates, the factory mounts to the shell, or properly fitted harness bars.


Renny.......because the harness and bucket seat are not an actual requirement is that just an advisory or would you not allow me on track with the inboard lap belt being secured to bucket seat frame? Essentially it will be secured in the same manner as a std cars seat belt clip. The outboard lap belt will be secured to the existing mount at the bottom of the b pillar and the shoulder belts will either be secured to a harness bar or rear seats.

Thanks W
_________________
ND spec'd Evo 8
Impreza bug sti track car
Wagon SL ppp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user


Joined: 19 Jul 2013
Posts: 266
Location: Killin

Reply with quote

Reading over your reply I'm not entirely sure if you've misunderstood what I said previously.

On the buddyclub seat frame that I use in my Evo they have a threaded insert inboard that allows you to mount either the std seat belt clip or harness lap belt, in the same manner as a std car. I'm not sure if you thought that I meant using where the seat frame mounts to the body of the car.
_________________
ND spec'd Evo 8
Impreza bug sti track car
Wagon SL ppp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user


Joined: 27 Mar 2013
Posts: 574

Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
Reading over your reply I'm not entirely sure if you've misunderstood what I said previously.

On the buddyclub seat frame that I use in my Evo they have a threaded insert inboard that allows you to mount either the std seat belt clip or harness lap belt, in the same manner as a std car. I'm not sure if you thought that I meant using where the seat frame mounts to the body of the car.

I know the style of mounting to the frame you are referring to. As the minimum requirement for Standard Production Category is a 3-point harness, and there is no requirement for a 4-point harness, then as long as you meet the minimum, and what you have is not dangerous, then that would be acceptable.

However, for the sake of drilling a hole and using a suitable backplate, you could have harness mounts that are "better" as the potential load is moved away from the seat mounting.

Also, if you move from Standard roadgoing to Modified at any point in the future, you will need to have mounts that are not shared with the seat frame.
_________________
Renny
MSA Scrutineer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
 
Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic
Display posts from previous:   




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum