Harness in road class

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:52 pm PostPost subject: Harness in road class
Wull
user

Because itís not mandatory in the road class for harnesses to be fitted does it matter how theyíre fitted if you choose to do so?

Iíve seen people securing lap belts by drilling 2 holes and then using the correct hardware to mount them.

My plan on the Impreza was to use the existing mount for the std seatbelt lap belt, and the frame for the bucket seat has a mount inboard where the seatbelt clip would be mounted if used.

For the shoulder straps I plan on using the rear seatbelt mounts but with a harness bar to give the correct angle for the straps. I may use the harness bar to wrap them like on my Evo but I have read that the harness bar is purely to give the correct angle and not to wrap them. Whether thatís true or not Iím not sure.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

I'm hoping no. I have doubled up on existing mounts on floor and existing rear belt mounts. Mine is cheap 3 point but my standard belt is still functioning for daily driving. My angle is marginal but I don't want to mess up car with harness bar and decided against half cage

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:34 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

arm10 wrote:
I'm hoping no. I have doubled up on existing mounts on floor and existing rear belt mounts. Mine is cheap 3 point but my standard belt is still functioning for daily driving. My angle is marginal but I don't want to mess up car with harness bar and decided against half cage

I'm kind of guessing so, the fact they're not required and can be out of date as well, same with the seat. That was Gordon that told me that iirc.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:50 pm PostPost subject: Re: Harness in road class
scottish scrutineer
established user

Wull wrote:
Because itís not mandatory in the road class for harnesses to be fitted does it matter how theyíre fitted if you choose to do so?

Iíve seen people securing lap belts by drilling 2 holes and then using the correct hardware to mount them.

My plan on the Impreza was to use the existing mount for the std seatbelt lap belt, and the frame for the bucket seat has a mount inboard where the seatbelt clip would be mounted if used.

For the shoulder straps I plan on using the rear seatbelt mounts but with a harness bar to give the correct angle for the straps. I may use the harness bar to wrap them like on my Evo but I have read that the harness bar is purely to give the correct angle and not to wrap them. Whether thatís true or not Iím not sure.

Don't use the same mount for the harness anchor as the seats. If the seat frame/mount fails, especially as the load will be quite high, then there will be nothing holding you.

Use the correct mounting hardware plates, the factory mounts to the shell, or properly fitted harness bars.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am PostPost subject: Re: Harness in road class
Wull
user

scottish scrutineer wrote:
Wull wrote:

Don't use the same mount for the harness anchor as the seats. If the seat frame/mount fails, especially as the load will be quite high, then there will be nothing holding you.

Use the correct mounting hardware plates, the factory mounts to the shell, or properly fitted harness bars.

Renny.......because the harness and bucket seat are not an actual requirement is that just an advisory or would you not allow me on track with the inboard lap belt being secured to bucket seat frame? Essentially it will be secured in the same manner as a std cars seat belt clip. The outboard lap belt will be secured to the existing mount at the bottom of the b pillar and the shoulder belts will either be secured to a harness bar or rear seats.

Thanks W

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Reading over your reply I'm not entirely sure if you've misunderstood what I said previously.

On the buddyclub seat frame that I use in my Evo they have a threaded insert inboard that allows you to mount either the std seat belt clip or harness lap belt, in the same manner as a std car. I'm not sure if you thought that I meant using where the seat frame mounts to the body of the car.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

Wull wrote:
Reading over your reply I'm not entirely sure if you've misunderstood what I said previously.

On the buddyclub seat frame that I use in my Evo they have a threaded insert inboard that allows you to mount either the std seat belt clip or harness lap belt, in the same manner as a std car. I'm not sure if you thought that I meant using where the seat frame mounts to the body of the car.

I know the style of mounting to the frame you are referring to. As the minimum requirement for Standard Production Category is a 3-point harness, and there is no requirement for a 4-point harness, then as long as you meet the minimum, and what you have is not dangerous, then that would be acceptable.

However, for the sake of drilling a hole and using a suitable backplate, you could have harness mounts that are "better" as the potential load is moved away from the seat mounting.

Also, if you move from Standard roadgoing to Modified at any point in the future, you will need to have mounts that are not shared with the seat frame.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic