Impreza v4 STi TypeR - No2

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31   Page 31 of 31

Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:17 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

almost a year with no updates Fee!

I think the car is pretty much untouched anyway..

But just thought I'd leave the shopping list here.... just in case you win the lottery.

Sequential x2
Bosch M4 ABS x2
Syvecs S8 x2
Tubular subframes x2

55k should cover it
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:10 pm PostPost subject:
gavbey

jeeeses thats some shopping list man! ive mapped a couple syvecs. awsome ecus but a badger to set up from scratch Very Happy

Im just getting into aero myself. its complicated shite

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:00 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

wouldnt go as far as shopping list... wish list perhaps Laughing

Updates:

Not much...

Spanner check and some new CV boots & grease before SLS Round 6.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:45 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

Refresh the dry sump over winter
Gearbox
Loom?

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:16 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

loom for my car or yours....

I'd say mine needs it more than yours... especially after round 4/5 of SLS.

Gearbox - aye. TEG Sport for a refresh.
Dry Sump - send both pump units (both cars) away for a refresh.
Front Hubs - same upgrade of bigger bearings and newer hubs to yours - easy enough

Not much needs done with yours TBH. I think front end aero is the biggest area i want to work on... and having a ramp at home will help Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:11 pm PostPost subject:
gavbey

AK wrote:
loom for my car or yours....

I'd say mine needs it more than yours... especially after round 4/5 of SLS.

Gearbox - aye. TEG Sport for a refresh.
Dry Sump - send both pump units (both cars) away for a refresh.
Front Hubs - same upgrade of bigger bearings and newer hubs to yours - easy enough

Not much needs done with yours TBH. I think front end aero is the biggest area i want to work on... and having a ramp at home will help Very Happy

haha yeah fee. a ramp would go nice at home!!! hahha

seems like your pretty much sorted. i always find somthing needing upgraded whan im on trackdays Smile

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

ordered up some more alu to re-do the splitter mounts on this car.

Moving away from the frame used before (as it was knackered after 2 years) and hanging it like I had done on the white car. Using T profile for the base though.

Then wire tethers for extremities just inside the bumper.

Will re-locate the oil cooler to free up space for difusers in the splitter - and aim to vent arch tops
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

small update...

Changes - gearbox cradle, rear diff braced a bit more, newage bigger bearing hubs, different mounting system for splitter and I knocked up some cannards (pics below). No more power, but a little more weight (was 1240kg at Knockhill after Qualy)

On to SuperLapScotland Round 2
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 15, 2017 11:47 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

SuperLapScotland Round 2 - 14th May 2017

I spent a few days working on the car fixing a few wee issues and building the splitter. Some last minute wiring niggles appeared on Friday night after some welding! ECU was removed before welding, then replaced afterwards - on turning over the car it would immediately cut with an oil pressure trip <gulp>. I had moved the cooler, but lost maybe 200ml of oil out of it, and its after a thermo plate so couldnt be an issue. Had to be electrical. After a couple of calls to Matty at MB Garage Services and Motorsport (MB Motorsport?!) we confirmed it may just be a simple broken wire to ECU, but rather than simply remove the ECU protection for oil pressure he wanted to come out on Sat morning to have a quick once over to confirm. Home by 21:30 to pack with a car that didnt run LOL

Saturday morning - Matty came out and checked a few things out. Confirmed sensors were good, but saw the oil pres sensor voltages were not right - def a wiring issue. ECU pins looked fine, and connector terminals looked fine.... but the voltage spiked around when wiggling cable at ECU end. He sorted that (havent looked at how yet LOL) but I had oil pressure, and the ECU now knew it had oil pressure so it was happy to start the car. Fiona was also much happier that the car would run with its full complement of safety trips on the Syvecs ECU. Packed up and headed off at mid-day for Sat afternoon scrutineering at Knockhill. No issues with that as the car pretty much hasnt changed in 4 years!

Sunday morning - Arrived nice and early to a dry Knockhill. Matty and Simon from MB Motorsport were down providing support, but still had a lot of jobs to do on the car before the first session. I dont think I lack confidence but I wasnt sure how the first laps would be after so long out of this car and spending the last 4 or 5 times at the track in a FWD mini.

WARMUP - Lap 1 was straight into 55.0 so ... eh... business as usual then. Noticed that the mini Duffus entry has prob made me quicker in the Impreza, but also found I was taking some lines than worked better in Minis, but not so in Impreza. Not a spectacular lap, but a steady one. First in class, 3rd overall. Ahead of George Rigby, but think he was going round sight seeing in this session Very Happy

Fastest Lap in warmup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuf695O7po

PRACTICE - I had tried full boost early in warmup (always like to confirm things work for when they are possibly required) but had misfire issues. Matty had a check over the logs and made a few wee tweaks whilst Simon gave the car a once over and fueled it ready to go. Fee had a nap in the sun Very Happy
No great laps straight out of the pits this time as I was testing a few things with the map. The misfire was still there, but was much more pronounced like a cut, esp on full boost hairpin exit. Turned the power down, and puddled around for a while struggling to get clear track in a session with 2 red flags. Nothing spectacular with a 55.4, P1 and 3rd overall again.

Practice fastest lap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3go0ILcwA0

QUALIFYING - Some more map tweaks by Matty (the cut seemed to be caused by a spike in oil temp to 120deg (not real as the car has very good temp control!)... raised that threshold as a workaround. More ECU connector issues perhaps. Asked Matty to copy the diff settings from my old white car (had the map on the laptop luckily) to try and get the rear end more involved, and front pushing on less. Simon did a rear pad change, fueled it and swapped the wheels. Fee sorted the lunch out... or got me to go sort it for her Very Happy
I'd said i'd push on the first lap, and if it was a 54 i'd come in and wait in the pits to cover it if anyone in B beat the time. George pulled off (boost pipe issues) near the end of the session so I went out to try full boost again - it worked..... i was now able to have the option of full power if required. I was going to try and set another decent lap to try and beat John Stevenson who was a tenth or two quicker than me, but I ballsed up the entry to duffus so just aborted the lap and came in. P1, 3rd overall again. The car felt more rear biased now, so I was happier about that. Still understeery though, but didnt feel as horrible.

Qualifying fastest lap (only lap!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx6OFG5Fwgw

FINAL - Not much to do to the car.... drained all the fuel from qualy and fueled it for a couple of laps in case of any re-runs. Tweaked the pressures and suspension a bit. Simon checked the linkage to see why I was having so many gear issues but nothing loose or obvious.
Got a but worked up in the holding area as those numpties were faffing about in the paddock LOL Couldnt get my belts on, needed Fee to start cameras etc. Eventually got sorted out and got down to the pit exit just as George was leaving.... bit of unwanted stress! Tried to compose myself on out lap - I think (know) thats my main issue, I simply try too hard and push too much Very Happy
Start of the final lap.... bollocks. Missed a gear going over the line, so lost a few tenths with the lower speed up the straight. Found myself mid corners much slower than I wanted and exiting mid-track (when you have time to notice this it cant be fast!)... got to hairpin and hit the gate for 3rd and lost more time. Double bollocks. Booted it round hairpin and over the line. Dash showed a 55.3 (possibly slowest lap of the day for me) but I use a generic start/finish at midway up the straight rather than the official time. I wasnt very happy as you'll see in the vid. I thought that George would have gone quicker as he is good at one lap too (very similar driving style!). Came into pits to thumbs up, so that was a bit unexpected Very Happy 55.0 official time. P1 and 3rd overall again.

Final lap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PHnKSNBbD0

Great day with no major issues. Great banter in the paddock, and great support from Fee, Simon and Matty / MB Motorsport.

Usual thumbs up to those that helped build this car - MB Motorsport, SD Motorsport, ZEN Performance, Lateral Performance, Syvecs, Carbotech, Team Dynamics.

Round 3 / 4 next Very Happy Might even splash for some fresh tyres!

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

Good stuff, well done min!

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:19 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

SLS Round 3 & 4 Report:

A few wee changes to the car but mostly a known car and track. So knew what to expect. Didnt know what to expect from George Rigby with wider tyres and less weight Smile

Following on from Round 2, and the quest to reduce understeer we reduced the front camber and upped the rear compression a touch (in dry anyway).
The front splitter mounts were now proven, so I added some lightness and more than halved the weight. Next would be to get a thicker/lighter splitter, and lower it further, with diffuser sections infront of the wheels Very Happy
New front wings with arch top vents, and rear cut aways to help vent air out of the arch and reduce lift.
No changes to the cannards - just repairs! Still not made the moulds for them... they are the bucks!
I was struggling with gears last time out too, so some alterations were made by Simon at MB Garage services with some advice from Steven Darley. Wiring niggles and random cuts/missfires sorted by Matty at MB Garage Services with some work on the ECU pins.

Round 3 -

Warmup - As always I like to go out fast and get my head in the right place ASAP, with the format of the final a priority. First hot lap was a 55.6. Decent enough but not amazing.... sat in the pits for a wee while then went out for a second lap - 54.8. I was happy enough with that so just parked it before the session end. 2 individual hot laps with cool tyres, on the old tyres. George Rigby had gone out in Grp2 (i should have too... ) and was mid 56. I didnt know this 'till later Laughing

Practice - Nothing to report. Scrubbed new tyres. Out lap - slow lap - in lap. Prob not enough to heat them properly with hindsight. George set a new PB with a 55.0. John was nice enough to take some pics of the wool tufts on the new front aero... and some areas looked a bit turbulant - hence the penguin taped brake ducts. You dont need brake cooling for SLS!!

Bit turbulent near ducts

Qualifying - Again - I aim to do it with one lap first out of the pits to simulate the final. No point hammering the car/tyres/brakes. Lap 1 felt decent but not pushing too much. 54.8. Knew it was going to be close but sat in the pits after that 1 lap. ~5mins to go and George passed the line with a 54.6 - BUGGER! Out I go... out lap then on it. Lap felt good until the exit of McIntyres Sad I'd been playing with different gears on this corner (off the back of things I'm trying with the mini - slower in, faster out). I think i reverted back to old habits and held fourth and just slid wide (4th still has enough grunt/response to get the rear out on the exit... but it just washed wide). Held it on the power through the gravel and grass and had a crap duffus but still managed a 54.9. After this it was game over. Head gone, donkey kong driving again Very Happy

Wool tufts also looked a lot more stable now

1-0 to George Sad 54.6 to my 54.8

All 4 laps from Qualy - 1 hot lap. 3 scrappy laps after Georges lap. - https://youtu.be/RjM8AhJDxqU

The lap with the off at McIntyres - https://youtu.be/jef7ws4tm6U

Final - I dont mind the format, and seem to be the only person in the paddock that beasts the brakes....

Nice clean exit over Duffus, later on the brakes at the Hairpin using more engine braking than before, later apex and much cleaner exit. Later on the brakes and a little wiggle into clarks - by this point I knew it was a decent lap and was 0.4 up on the reference lap we use for reverse (the 53.7s lap the car did with Steven Darley back in year 1 - 2014). I made a conscious decision to try and keep it clean from here... with the later half of the lap being a bit slower than I can normaly do - but a hell of a lot cleaner. Maybe there is something in being smooth after all!

Over the line and shouted some stuff in the car. I was happy with the lap - new PB and very little drama. Now just had to wait about 90s to find out what George did. Thumbs up on pit entry - YES! Great end to the day that could have gone either way. Sadly George didnt set a representative laptime due to a fuel cockup. I'll still say it though - I should be going quicker LOL

No video sadly Sad Fee took a picture of the cage instead LOL

1-1 with George.

Round 4 -

Prep started after a beer on Sat eve...

I had a feeling the brakes were binding as the car just wasnt rolling freely in the pits, so a strip down of the pads and an inspection of the brakes showed the lower 2 pistons on both outer front caliper halfs werent moving that freely. Gave them a clean up in/out a few times. Nothing major it would seem. Bled the brakes, re-secured the inner rear NS CV boot again. Fueled... tyres changed back to old - track walk - sausages/beer/bed.

Warmup -

Again - the aim was to do 1 hot lap straight out of the pits. The lap felt good but the dash said 56.9... WTF! That wasn't to plan. The brakes werent great (lube!!!) but nothing really wrong. Did a cool lap then went again - 55.4. Good enough, so came in and then just parked it after the reds came out. Nothing special, but the car was as expected.

Practice - Raining..... Cleaned the discs with some 'borrowed' brake cleaner from John Stevenson Very Happy
I dont mind the wet, but I also knew that George doesnt mind the wet. Went out to just get a feel for the track on worn old tyres. Yup... corners still there Very Happy 60.2s lap... and repeatable. Felt ok. 0.3 in front of George.

Qualifying - I did NOT want to get beaten again. I hate it... Usual plan, out first (Paul Rankin had been a cheeky monkey and got there first!! Razz)... passed Paul after Chicane (he moved over as we discussed) then on to hot lap. Its always a bit of a trip into the unknown on an initial hot lap like this (damp and greasy track) but it is what you'll have in the final so I feel its the best way to go. First lap out of the pits = 58.4. I think thats what I would class as a new PB in these conditions. Cool lap (but very sideways at duffus... and visible oil drops on track) Into pits and had a chat with the boss. Some cars were starting to go quicker so made the decision to go again to cover George who had also dropped down into 58s just a tiny bit behind my time (he was still on track). Decent lap with a massive slide at Chicane - 58.2... it was pretty damn slippy though.

P1 again, 58.2 to George's 58.4. Yeehaa!

Vid - https://youtu.be/E8KexGdN_nA

Slide at Chicane.... lost at butchers... https://youtu.be/bBbPIxt8sNk

Final - Pissing down and thick mist.... rain light on, heated screen on, headlights on. This is what the SLS double headers are about.... same track but 2 totally different events in one weekend. Great test.

Usual 'slow' out lap and made a bit of a hash of the hairpin exit LOL tried 2nd but just didnt get the front straight enough so ended further up the road than normal, slower than normal, a gear down, later on the power and a bit worried about a massive rear out moment. Kept it composed, and clean for the most part. Little oversteer with 3rd at McIntyres, DAFT early turn in at Clarks, and stable on the brakes and on exit for hairpin. Dash said 60.2 so knew it was going to be close either way... another agonising trundle round to the pits and thumbs up again Very Happy 2 wins. Bloody hard work with George though.... just 0.3 behind again.

Vid - https://youtu.be/bDbGtBhjwlA

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

SLS Round 7 Report

Minimal changes/tinkering before the round, mainly due to me having no time Laughing Got the guys at MB Garage to do the geometry, check the map/engine (it felt flat as a pancake during last use (Round 4) and give it a quick nut/bolt check. Turns out the car was down ~70bhp on its power to weight figure due to a duff EGT sensor and the ECU adjusting the fueling/timing to counter it. Sorted. Also fitted a gucci carbon prop, GRP headlight blanks - total saving about 10kg (inc driver mods lol )

Turned up a bit late on Sat afternoon but Gordon & Renny hung around to get the car scrutineered - Thanks guys.

Sunday:

Warm Up:

Usual plan.... dominate. Set a good lap on my first lap of the day (low boost and oldest tyres) and sit in the pits and see how the session progresses. Plan was going well - first in the queue - clear track. Low boost with some button pushing to liven the straight up a little. Lap was a little scruffy but felt OK. Dash said 54.8 so was happy enough with that. Trundled round to the pits slowly letting brakes and tyres cool. Into pit and noticed a bit of smoke front the vents. Guys checked out it whilst I stayed in the car. 'Fire!' Oi Oi Oi... off with the belts and out of the car LOL. Simon put it out with a torque wrench so thankfully no damage through fire or foam/powder. Traces of oil were igniting on the exhaust manifold wrap. Was happy enough to call it quits at that point and ended up 1st in class with a 54.8. Very Happy Noticed B was quick and in general everyone was much more 'on it' than normal this early in the day!

Back in the pits and the guys got to work. Matty checking logs whilst Simon (and Andrew) investigated the source of the oil/fire. Nothing immediately obvious was found so just a general clean up and back together. Second hand held extinguisher was fitted in car just in case Laughing I wasnt too worried as the fire only flashed up once the car stopped in pits.

Practice:

Still on oldest tyres but medium boost and a bit more 'driving'. Again first lap was my target so first to queue and clear track. Bosh... Lap felt awesome, was up and over chicane thinking this is it... 53s! Then i go and take my 'Mini line' into Clarks and understeer like a donkey. All 4 off into the gravel at clarks. Small lift and a bit of opposite lock and out again. Still somehow managed to do a 55.1s lap. VBOX suggests I lost 1.4s Sad (so maybe a 53.7!!!!). Back into pits as agreed for a check and 'Fire!. Doh... called it quits for practice but somehow still managed to finish P1 with George and Andy very close behind

Practice Vid - https://youtu.be/kum46zlmWSk

Back in the paddock, Simon and Matty (and Andy) got to work stripping the front off again and fabricating a guard for the manifold to stop the small amount of oil weeping from the dry-sump pulley dropping onto the manifold. It really was just about 1 drip when at idle in about 1 min! Think the heat lagging may have just been saturated. Rear CV Boot sorted, wheels/tyres changed for the slightly newer set and some lunch Very Happy

Qualifying:

Aim - First out, 1 lap, in. WIN. I got to the front early again to get a clear track. Lap felt great again but consciously braked a bit earlier than my brain was telling me (weird... i know!!) for Clarks but still ballsed it up. I still pitched the car in using my 'Mini line' and understeered again (lack of front aero possibly affecting too... but mostly just a stupid entry!). Didnt lose as much time but still had to back out and wait to get the power on. Data suggests I lost ~0.8s this time Sad. Dash said 54.2 so was happy enough with that 1 lap Very Happy
Into pits and no fire. Double result. Sat in the pits waiting for the session end. George creeped into the 54s but I was clear by about 0.7s. New PB and happy with the time despite the cock up again. (Fee says i'm just shite at Clarks)

Qualy Vid - https://youtu.be/Md6az_yxY9M

Car needed nothing for the final until the rain came on :/ I like the wet so wasnt phased by it, and spent the previous Sunday splashing round Knockhill in the Mini Very Happy Tyre pressures were adjusted and the Nitrons were backed off a bit. Power reduced for corners, full once straight Wink

Final:

Last to go out in B having qualified first. No real advantage as all the other cars hadnt completed a lap so had no idea of times to beat or likely grip levels. Usual out lap (different to most folks!) and then on it. Car was a bit squirmy at the apex on Duffus but held decent speed down into McIntyres. Little bit of rear spin at partial throttle (so applied more to get rid of that Wink ), bit tight at Butchers and more lairy that i'd have liked at Chicane exit. Clarks - Laughing here we go again. Not really sure what line I took... I'll call it a 'wet line' for lack of any clue or precision. Wide on to the slippy kerbs and this was the point that made the lap I think. Normally I'd have been a bit lighter on the throttle... but F*&% it.. hehe wiggle wiggle. Over the line with dash showing 58.8. No idea what that was worth but saw a few folk clapping on the way back round then Lisa giving the thumbs up Very Happy Yeeha! 4secs clear of the rest of B and second overall but about 0.5 off Colin in Pro. I'll take that.

Full points for the day, very little drama, 4 complete laps done and about 10l of fuel used LOL Perfect day if a little toasty at times.

Thanks to Simon & Matty from MB Garage Services for the support. Fee for telling me to go slower (that seems to be the key... i have to sit in the holding area trying to convince myself not to push too hard, then try and reign in my brain to brake earlier or apply throttle less/later to keep traction). Thanks to Andy for the help, and Lowell/Davie for filling the other side of the TS garage.

Final Vid - https://youtu.be/iB5TTa4nuzU

I have to say that the car is fantastic. So well balanced and neutral but willing to rotate on throttle when required. It sounds like a bag of spanners now (my changes from Fee's setup - all solid mounted) but its very agile and responsive.

Who helped build the car? ... SD Motorsport, Lateral Performance, ZEN Performance, MB Garage Services, Nitron, Carbotech, Team Dynamics, Part-Box, Corbeau.

Sponsors - None.... but I'd be willing to listen to serious offers if anyone wants to get involved with the car(s).
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31   Page 31 of 31

View previous topic
View next topic