J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next   Page 14 of 15

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm PostPost subject:
Matty.H
user

Is that just folded channel down the inside of the tailpipe Jack? Spot welded from the outside to add some stiffness to the tailpipe?

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

yeh sure is matty! long time no speak hope all is well!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

This should of been with the arch updates but i forgot to take photos so il just add it in now,

Rear KW 2-Way Comps, always surprised me that the bodys were just zinc plated, but im glad i put the socks on them! has defo saved them for looking alot worse than they could of been. Quick wire brush, clean out the dust seal area of all its crap, and then a spray with moly film. Wrapped back up and ready to install when the arch has dried fully!

Untitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

they cleaned up quite well!

The nitrons on the Impreza still look brand new, shows what road miles (road grime) does to cars!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Yeh, you can see the difference with the socks, where they were exposed the bottoms inch or two defo picked up more road crap.

Are the nitrons just steal bodied as well?

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

pass - spec just says corrosion resistant, high end materials etc etc

"The high-grade materials protect against corrosion whilst reducing weight. Every R3 kit is custom built, sprung and fully serviceable. Titanium hard-anodised parts are hand built to last not only the lengthiest endurance races, season after season, but also the harshest of winters."
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:48 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Been another 2 month gap between updates! sorry! work has been mega busy and days at home are few and far between just now!

Anyway Progress is being made!

First off was my switch pannel for all my aux items, heated screen, WMI, Fan override, fire system ect, decided to put them all into a much neater set up so they still have to be labled but its myuch neater than before with switches everywhere!

dash.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next was to get some bits off to the powder coaters, wanted the splitter done and the spoiler up rights as the silver wasnt working with the black wrap! Used the same guy as always John and Customised Coatings and as always they came back perfect!

wing.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr
diffu.jpg by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

A little side project for later on in the year (most likely after iv done my 2 events in july) iv decided to collect the bits for going DBW, MK2 focus ST/RS Throttle body and a MK3 Focus throttle pedal (will probably get a RS/ST one as they have a nice little metal plate on them!)
Reason for this is i get some nice features with the syvecs , better anti lag and auto blip on the way down through the box and its a slightly bigger TB as well going from 57mm standard to 66mm. Looking forward to getting it up and working! A shout out to Will at WR Tuning for supply the TB plug from a spare loom he had! saved me a load off stress!

tb2.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

tb1.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next on the list was to sort out my side exit pipe!

Im not a welder so we will clear that up right now haha! i can weld but its so so ! , when making this side exit i had group b / Nascar in my mind.... well this was my effort !
sideexits.JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

A Solid 4/10 if i dont say so my self! haha!

the cutting out of the sill and replacement metal wasnt much better if im honest!

sideexit (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So was time to take it to a real fab guy and callum haynes sorted me out!

first step was to remove all old rusty rubbish!
sideexit (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

He then fabbed up a plate and welded it in place!

And before you knew it the nascar tip was on the car Very Happy

sideexit (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

sideexit (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Still need to wrap the side skirt and fit the alloy trim to stop it melting everything when the car chucks out its 2ft flames! But like i said above time hasnt been on my side Sad

While it was up there callum also set about putting the screamer pipe back into the exhaust system, the MSA had finally caught up with them so this was the easiest way forward! The car is so quiet now on boost!

callum did an ace job removing minimal coating on the down pipe but i think im going to get it all re done as the oil leak from the turbo had made a fair mess of it as well sadly Sad

screamer (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

screamer (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

nice flow back into it

screamer (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

and still got some clearance between it and the rad!

screamer (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Last thing for callum was to design a splitter mount system for me, the whole car will be flat floored at some point but for now this spliiters main job is to hold the downforce of the front splitter and stop it trying to rip the bumper off!
splitt (1).PNG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (1).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (6).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Once that was done i got the car home for a day and started to make my front splitter, just out of plywood for just now but might change to something lighter given time and im happy it works!

splitt (3).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

splitt (2).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Also having to try a few places for the tie rods to mount, thanks to adam for the info on these!

splitt (4).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

trying to get the angles right for not cutting up the bumper any more!

splitt (5).JPG by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Will get there im sure! then i can finaly get out on the road and do some road testing as i was having a fuel cut issue but i think it was the worn fuel pump but its never been tested since so cant wait to get that done! and then once thats done its time to get a track day or 2 booked and learn how to drive a manual again! haha!

Slow Progress but working 3 weeks with 1 off is a bit of a nightmare!

Thanks!

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 am PostPost subject:
Steviej
user

Where did you get the screamer pipe parts, flanges and flexi's ? I may need to replace mine.
Thanks

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:34 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

i supplied the flanges, got them from a tial dealer in the usa, as for the pipe and flexi that was supplied by callum

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:25 am PostPost subject:
Steviej
user

Thanks

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So update!

Been flat out with this! , only home for 5 days then away again so had to get right in about. Sadly didnt take as much photos as i would of liked because i was just trying to get through the jobs as quick as i could!.

So first off was on the way home the exhaust was making a racket! I had told Calum to solid mount it but that just meant the car now droned a hole load more! So bought some rubber mounts (anti vibration mounts) popped one of them on the exhaust and gave the tip a coat of black heat proof paint. The side skirt is still to get wrapped but thats a two man job so will hopefully get that done tomorrow ! But the side exit is now done bar the heat Shield!

e6 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Next up was this splitter!
Had initially tryed to get the stays to go through the "fog lights" but the more i played with it i realised that i just didn't have the length or height to do that. So it was going to be a case of slotting the bumper or drilling holes.

e3 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

I was offshore offcouse trying to work this all out but i decided on holes just below the "fog lights"

So you can see here the stays going though the bumper

e7 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

And where they pick up on the splitter support.

e8 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The splitter was finally mounted! massive relive and so happy how its worked out! Have gave it a lick of black epoxy even though it is its mock splitter i didnt want it soaking up water and destroying its self right away!

Slight issue was where the splitter (fibreglass bumper part) sat on the ply part was a little gap about 1cm big, i thoght that this could potentially let air in between the splitters and damage something so found out you get threaded inserts for wood ( basically wood versions of riv nuts lol!) so bought some of them and now have 5 M6's joining the 2 together!

e9 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Eagle eyes might of noticed the end plates above have a new hole in them!

e1 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

This was added to let some of the air out as it was basically creating to much down force still! (madness!) have yet to try them out but if they dont work then i might just have to make really small end plates, more in the style of the old ESCOS hockey sticks Smile

Also while on the aero side of things i thought id try these out!

e2 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Famous in the evo world but for those who dont know they are little (3D printed) vortex generators There job is to stop the air basically flowing right down the rear window and chuck it into the rear wing to then let it do its job! Will get the wool tails out and film it on the go pro see if its made any odds!

Other than that a delivery from AP racing turned up

e5 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

e4 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Forgot how big these disks are! massive! Will get them replaced and bedded in soon!

Only other thing is i had the car out for some road testing! Destroyed another gearbox Sad 3&4th now grind above 7k shifts and 5th gear is a little temperamental ! Was planning on sending the quafie box away to get a check over before putting it back in for SLS in july but i sadly dont have enough time for that, mapping and then testing again! So i am not going to be able to get it sent off before the racing starts! Fingers crossed its ok! Other than that i had a slight misfire, checked the logs and all is ok so gapped the plugs down and its went away. Might have an injector issue so going to remove them and get them cleaned and see how they come back. Other than that the car is going very well and im falling in love with it again! Animal!

e10 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Thanks Smile

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So just ticking off the little jobs now before SLS in July, Pray for the gearbox as its not happy at all! Sad

Tidied up the wiring loom (was a bit of a mess after installing the syvecs/dash/loom trim)

Still got to strip and coat/paint the inner front arches but again time is marching on and im still offshore!, hopefully get that done next week!

Got some new R888R's fitted to the rear tyres, so had a little sprinted drive out in it but im now not convinced about this new alignment set up Sad might be ok on track but i can honestly see me playing about with it track side doh!

New brake disks from AP to swap out! they were over due, some 20 odd thousand miles on them so no complaints from me as they have seen there fair share of action!

Interestingly they have changed from the cap head bolts to the little E socket bolts, Was a bit concerned as they had suppled double the ammount of washers need as i couldnt use the washer bell side like iv seen before, quick phone call and that was put to rest that it would be fine!

Outer face of the disk didnt look to bad

Inner face was looking a little worse for wear!

Gave the bells a clean up as best as i could with out damaging the coating, dont think they look to bad considering they are 6 years old!

And the last thing to do before she's ready to go is another cheeky hour on the dyno with matty at MB Motorsport on Wednesday to get the map tweaked for the gearbox ratios and then its good to go!

Anyone know what like the slots are for RA to get the car power run'd and dyno'd for sls?

Last edited by Jackstrath on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:38 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So i can never make up my mind if the focus is fighting me or my luck isn’t just what it used to be! 😂

While bedding in the brakes I noticed the pads were not facing up to the disks right, now I did give them a quick scuff with emery paper but nothing drastic and didn’t give them much attention as I was more concerned about the pins as they were looking a little interesting.

Anyway after a few more miles and using the brakes a bit more they still did not face up so it was pad out time to see what was going on.

Soon as I took the pad out it a bigger issue showed it’s face

The material had started to crack ☹️ was only going to be a matter of time before that failed so with out any more messing about I was on the phone and got a new set of pads ordered up, along with some pins, and while I was at it I got the high temp brake seal kit for the ap’s (as technically these are a road caliper)

pads (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pads (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

The pads are old, about 3 years of sitting , thats 3 winters with the damp in the air ect ect, not overly concernred but it certianly was an expense i could of done with out!.

Pins were replaced , as you can see one of the little retaining coller had failed completely !

pads (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

New seals to be fitted after the race.
pads (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So with that sorted the car was off to the dyno! Quick tweek at MB Motorsports seen the map back to what it was with the new/old quaife gearbox in!

And then!

After everything going so well with the mapping and the last-minute brake expenditure, i thought i was done! Entry in to round 4&5 of SLS and it finally felt like a big weight had been lifted! Well.... That didn’t last long!

With the car sitting for the best part of 2 and a half years i thought it was worth doing a spanner check over the whole car just to make sure nothing was going to fall off! Did the whole front end, found a few bolts that needed a wee nip up but on the whole, for running near solid engine mounts the car was fairly solid!

One thing that i can’t seem to stop is the constant little sweat a few of the AN oil lines have, iv tried new fittings ect new seals where i can but no matter how much i dick about i can’t get the oil to stop having a little sweat, iv came to accept the car just self waxoils lol, but i thought id better give it a clean off anyway and while doing so i noticed a potential show stopper (yes that’s right , less than 12 hours after i put my entry in it was potentially going to have to get cancelled!)

While cleaning the oil lines and pump i noticed a bit of play in the pump, odd i thought, maybe another loose bolt? Wrong, its never that simple! Long story short, the oil pump mounting point on the upper sump had broken/failed/fell apart.

pumpsjpg (7) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Panic set in, the External oil pump is a fairly important part of the engine!, Few words with Paul and he had sent me a fix for it, it works as he has used and tested it but i was hunting about for other places to potentially re locate the pump, and found since i don’t run the Air con pump i could use 2 of the bolt holes in the block fairly easy - So a bit of ball scratching as the bracket is billet alloy there was only 1 person that i knew could do exactly what i wanted ,and a few messages to Calum at Calum Hayes Fabrications he said bring it up and we could get our weld on! (well he could, il stick to steel lol)

Made a carboard template, Calum didn’t like that, so then remade one in sheet alloy, got a ruler out (first for everything on this car) and boom had a Template made up!

pumpsjpg (2) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pumpsjpg (1) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pumpsjpg (5) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So a little road trip to Calums, job done (on a Saturday!), Ralph the dog cuddled and i was back at mine, trial fitted (no further mods needed) and a lick of paint later it was fitted! Feels solid and its just had 60 miles on tyre scrubbing and brake bedding in thrown at it!

pumpsjpg (6) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pumpsjpg (4) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pumpsjpg (3) by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

pumpsjpg (Cool by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Can finally breath again! - Please no more surprises!

----

and theres more Sad

So With that sorted, it was time to bed in the new disks and pads, scrub in a set of wets and test the oil pump.

All was going well, about 60 miles done and then the car started to ride on a little. Would lift off and the car would hang for a second before slowing, yup awesome, throttle cable issues.....

Long story short the throttle cable is toast. RS only part that ford stopped making/selling a few years ago now.. Im going drive by wire end of this year so it really was typical this happened now, again im glad it happend before the racing rather than at it, but its still ANOTHER expence i could of done with out!

So a bit of hunting about and there was one on ebay but it was £70 posted (they were £110 new when selling) and i was only needing it for a few months, some guys on the focus RS facebook page sugested a company called speedy cables, so its off for a refurb and hopefully that is the car ready for knockhill!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:50 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So Race Weekend!

This is what iv been working up to over the last 3 years! Mad how quick time has past! Working away from home has its down sides! As im sure by the posts above youll of seen the issues running up to this weekend, Not ideal but i really was going over the car with a fine tooth pick just to make sure there was nothing going to bite me at the track!

So as you all know this first day was going to be a massive learning curve, due to work i had zero test time, seat time and track time, a new car with a new set up and a new track surface to deal with!
So everything packed and it was late morning i set off down to RA Motorsport Developments to get a power to weight cert so i could enter SLS.
IMG_6132 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Well the focus went and pulled some healthy numbers (near on exactly what i thought my bum dyno was telling me), I knew the car and me were both heavier, and not as much power as last time (at my request to keep reliability) so was hopping to enter class C as that was roughly what i could do time wise with the power i used most of the time back in 2013 SLS. Well the classes have changed, i think it happened in 2014? maybe 15', but yeh i was to far into class B now to make it work.
IMG_6134 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Got away from the dyno at 4pm ish so headed over to Knockhill as my pal was having a track night, i did plan to get out in a car or 2 just to get my head round KH again but it was a bit poor weather wise (rain) so i just consintrated on unloading the car and doing some final checks.

IMG_6161 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So Saturday came, off to the track i went.I knew i was just going to have to get the laps under my belt to try get back up to speed, I fell i got back into the swing of it fairly fast and was putting in some very respectable times considering, but i was finding it hard to be neat , keep the car balanced and get my breaking points right. Switching between high and low boost, changing tyres over from 4 year old R888's to brand new R888r's in a wider size prob wasnt helping things.

I was getting quicker with every lap, trying to make a mental note of where to brake. Good data was gained with every lap and i was starting to chip away at the time! I also had it in the back of mind to nurse the gearbox, We were racing in reverse and although i enjoy the track that way the lack of laps was ovbouse.

But i put what i had learnt into pratice, Qualifying had changed format, it used to be 2 flying laps and that was it but its now a 15 min open session, being so hot i struggled with cars temps (everything from tyres to oil to me!) but i got a suprisingly quick lap in (when you see how messy it is youll say the same) managed a 56.2 which if IIRC is about a second quicker than what i did back in 2013!

Lap of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyBv26nE89Q

Final wasnt worth talking about, made an ass of it by hiting the limiter so hard and putting the car into limp mode and having to turn the car on and off to clear the error, still managed to bag a 3rd place tho! so zero complains for the first time out in the car!

Few photos of it in action!

IMG_6138 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

37591214_2059951200689771_877231805894230016_o by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

37594873_2059951417356416_4193407648915259392_o by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Sunday Race 2 to follow!

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:08 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So! Round 5 Super Lap Scotland,
This was the "balls to the walls" day
Back to the track, i had gave the sore gearbox a fresh oil change the night before so the prep work to be done that morning was minimal.

IMG_6154 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So back to clockwise direction and set out for 1st practice. I was excited as i had done way more laps this way and that boosted confidence that i was going to go quicker! Also had my dad down and a few friends had also made the trip down to show there support!

Hans device took a bit of getting used to. Not 100% on it but i guess it beats a sore neck!

DSC_0002 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Well the confidence only lasted 4 laps, when changing up on my first hot lap of the day to find the limits the throttle cable (yes the one that had been refurbed the week before) snapped Sad ! , I honestly could off cried as soon as it happened i knew exactly what it was. I mean 4 laps in! Even the temperamental gearbox had taken more punishment!
So im at a loss, i know how hard these cables are to get and im stuck at a track in the middle of the Scottish countryside!

37661364_10160625019705273_7002102152084586496_n by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Just as i get towed into the pits i get my phone out and have a missed call from my pal Paul Daly and as fait would have it i gave him a ring back and he turned his car around, headed home and went and removed his throttle cable from HIS OWN focus RS and gave it to me to use for the rest of the day! Honestly couldn’t believe my luck!

So had counted out missing first practice and having to go balls to the wall in qualifying and then hoping i could hold it together for 1 final lap! But Paul got it to me in double time and i had it fitted just in time for practice! Just what i needed! Went out a bit flustered and again over drove the car! But what i did know that i was 100% understeering way to much.
I had to sort this, after practice was done i bumped into another focus RS owner and race mechanic master man
Andrew from Andrew Lamont Motorsport Ltd, told him how i have managed to make one of the most best handling cars of its time turn into a understeer machine and one simple tip was to raise the back end up to get it a bit more loose! So right over to the car i went and raised the rear up about 20mm to get some weight back onto the front.

Armed with the "fat tyres" and quick suspension change it was out for quailing, still on low boost to just try find my lines through the corners rather than over the curbs!
Set a 56.4 , another PB, the understeer had been reduced and the times dropped and confidence grew!

With just the final to go i put a bit more air in the rear tyres to see if i could get a little more turn in and just as id finished
doing that Duncan of Duncan Vincent Commentary came and stuck a microphone in my face and asked what the game plan was for the afternoon!, well peer pressure kicked in and i said "high boost and wing it" haha!

DSC_0042 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So final came , onto high boost for the Final, kept it smooth neat and tidy and blasted out a 55.6 lap! Over the moon! First time out in 3 years in the focus, smashed my PB of 57.01 and to be right in about with the rest of the bunch i was delighted! P2 was mine and that was the best weekend of my year so far!

37681247_2062802967071261_8052358231621632000_o by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

37911999_2112401279032298_3163890003650543616_o by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So With the awards handed out i added a 2nd place trophie to the collection.
IMG_6167 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Car all loaded and i was back up the road before sunset!
IMG_6170 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

Big thanks to everyone thats helped along the way!
The last min favours, the late nights and the constant support from everyone the likes a post or has a comment!
My main sponser Kev @ KW autos, who has yet again helped me build this car back up! And all the other names on the car! Thank you all!

On board footage of the final lap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7L491vUZgo

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next   Page 14 of 15

View previous topic
View next topic