KH Surface Changes - Where is quicker

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 pm PostPost subject: KH Surface Changes - Where is quicker
AK
Site Admin

Most folk will have been out on track now.

Consensus seems to be positive, or at least I haven't heard anything negative about the new surface.

Track appears to be at least 1 sec quicker now... so expect lap records to fall throughout the year.

Comparing like for like (same gearbox and decent engine power in Mini)... I made the most gains at McIntyres. A bit baffled by that (it is wider/more open on exit) as I thought it was surely the Chicane and Clarks where I'd found 1s in the Mini.

2017 PB was 63.99
2018 PB is 63.1

Made up 0.7 at McIntyres
Made up ~0.1 at Chicane
Made up 0.2s at Clarks

Lost/Made wee bits other places but above is the main bits....
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:33 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

Similar findings to you - the bulk of my gains in testing were between McIntires and the Chicane, with Clarkes looking good too. Overall gains from the track were about 0.8-0.9s (although it's tricky to separate the track from car changes)
In the races (which I haven't looked at the data for yet) there were definitely gains from the Chicane too once I'd got the balls to take it flat.
On the downside, I reckon the hairpin is about the same in the dry, but gets slipperier quicker after even a light sprinkling of rain.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

I'm looking forward to getting the Caterham out as I think the smoother surface will work well with it. From the Mini I'd say the all the braking points were better and Duffus seemed less dramatic, the chicane need more precision but also had more options for lines, and Clarks was similar . The hairpin seemed quicker to me but I suspect the entry and apex track height is higher and the camber may not suit the exit so well. I was 2 second quicker in the Mini than last year, but that's probably 50/50 me and the track.
Duratec in Detail

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Ive always been pretty unhappy with my path through McIntyres in the past - always found myself a bit untidy before the corner - on the new surface, I seem to be able to get the car much more where I want it and in a lot more settled manner.

Defo feel even more aggressive through the chicane, but didn't feel notably different through Clarks.

I'm in clined to say my entry at the top of duffus might have changed a bit too, but unsure on where i'm just trying to convince myself of that.

Knocked a good 0.8 seconds of my PB last night though - 61 second laps in the Saxo now, whod have thought it haha Smile

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

It's basically quicker at every point from Duffus entry to Clark's exit.

I knocked 0.5s off my PB on shagged tyres, dodgy brakes with a throttle lift between Chicane and Clark's.

I really like how it is now but there's already some bumps and dips appearing, quite a nasty one on inside line to hairpin right on braking point.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

How’s the bump on the main straight?

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Still there.... can see minis bump over it, but you don’t notice anything in car.

No idea how your car would be
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:40 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

I'm sure theres now a 'new' bump further up the straight nearer the start line which I'm fairly sure wasn't there before

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 pm PostPost subject:
Andy.F

Yes there is, lifts the front of my car 26mm, which on its own isn't a worry but it takes 1.3 seconds to re settle.....which is more of a concern!

Wed May 02, 2018 10:12 am PostPost subject:
dunc
established user

I've got a new car this year but it's fairly similar to my old one and would agree with the statements in this thread so far. I think the time improvement is 1 sec but also think the hairpin is a touch gripper (in the dry).

My car is low and hard and it's much nicer to drive round Knockhill now it's been changed.

Dunc.

Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am PostPost subject:
-Jamie-
user

Definitely more grip and the new "kerbs" add a good bit of extra use able width.

Bump up near the start line isn't that great though, unsettles the front end on mine

Wed May 02, 2018 12:52 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Having run the Mini and the Caterham in 2018, I suspect the gains we've seen favour cars that can take lots of kerb. Generally the surface seems more aggressive on tyres with more grip, but more sensitive to dirt too. Down Duffus is smoother and quicker and Clarks is better on the exit. I personally find the chicane harder (but that's because I can't take the kerbs) and the hairpin worse off line but potentially better if you get it right.

Red 2018, blue 2017. Not quite a back to back as the car now has a wing, but show the key areas.

Edit to add, what is strange is that the car is has a faster Vmax with the wing. Now maybe the the car is half a second slower with the wing and the track is 1 second quicker Laughing

Laughing
Duratec in Detail

Wed May 02, 2018 1:28 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

interesting - much better grip out of clarks for you, and better on the brakes. Hello aero!!!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm PostPost subject:
Andy.F

There was a fair tail wind that day David, maybe explains the Vmax?

Thu May 03, 2018 7:01 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

David Long wrote:
Edit to add, what is strange is that the car is has a faster Vmax with the wing. Now maybe the the car is half a second slower with the wing and the track is 1 second quicker Laughing

My VMax increased 7mph when I added the aero gubbins to the Westfield. OK, drag was reduced by the flat floor, which obviously did make a positive contribution, but the biggest factor was rear end grip about half way up the straight - previously I was hesitating/lifting just as I shifted from 3rd to 4th (and only barely aware of it). With less rear lift, I could confidently keep it pinned, and it made a BIG difference to the terminals.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2

View previous topic
View next topic