Resetting coilover height - rubbing at Butchers

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:45 pm PostPost subject: Resetting coilover height - rubbing at Butchers
Cliocupracer

Getting the corner weighting reset on my Clio tmrw after tweaking a few things. The car feels pretty good at the moment although I have rubbing from the front coming into and out of Butchers before the chicane. It's the only place it rubs on clockwise direction and there's no rubbing on anti-clockwise. Do you think I should raise the front enough so that there's no rubbing whatsoever? I guess it's not great that the tyre is making contact with the underside of the arch, I've had a look underneath, there's no obvious mod I can make. I still feel in control of the car despite the rubbing, it's more off-putting than anything else hearing it each time. Interested to hear if anyone else has similar issue and whether you've tolerated it or eliminated it altogether.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Depending on how much it's catching, simply changing your tyre type can sometimes help as some are "rounder" than others.

Narrower tyres, arch rolling, thinner spacers are all potential options too before you look at stiffer springs, stiffer ARB's, ride height adjustment etc.

I had the same, on the rear, Butchers only, but only happened when I ran 235 wide rear tyres. I dropped to 205 rears with 235 fronts as I preferred that type of set up on a FWD car. Bonus was the rubbing stopped but not the reason I did it.

If you like how the car handles, I'd look at other options first before playing with ride height and spring rates.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

I had the same with my Clio 197 and have taken the wheel arch liners out which seems to have sorted it.

Are you still running them?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 pm PostPost subject:
Cliocupracer

Yup, the liners were ditched years ago, I had the corner weighting done earlier today, we've now raised her a tad at the front and adjusted the rear to compensate to optimise corner weights, will see how she goes next weekend @ SLS!

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic