Boost recording devices

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 pm PostPost subject: Boost recording devices
AK
Site Admin

any suggestions?

It could be as simple as an analogue boost gauge (decent range) and a 1way valve...

Looking for workable solutions to give to KMSC/SLS to consider
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:38 am PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

I use an app on my phone that then saves it to a csv file but might be too low tech for you Laughing

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

Something like the below this?

http://www.pci-instruments.com/product/304_pressure-gauge-fitted-with-min-_-max-drag-pointer.html

Not sure about the cost, but a boost gauge with a 1- way valve would also be a good solution. As long as the valve and the gauge are not accessible from the the drivers seat.

Also make sure that the valve is line up correctly and doesn't have a certain pressure locked in at the gauge.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:40 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Is it for monitoring whilst on track or for checking post session?

I would have thought a laptop, with various ECU/Datalogger software/cables with it in the Scrutineering bay would be simple enough to manage and quickly review boost levels? Most of the Turbo cars would run such devices I would have thought.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

HummuH wrote:

I would have thought a laptop, with various ECU/Datalogger software/cables with it in the Scrutineering bay would be simple enough to manage and quickly review boost levels? Most of the Turbo cars would run such devices I would have thought.

Wouldn't lifting the bonnet and checking a boost gauge be a lot quicker than hooking up a laptop and reviewing ECU data?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:46 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

crayons wrote:
HummuH wrote:

Wouldn't lifting the bonnet and checking a boost gauge be a lot quicker than hooking up a laptop and reviewing ECU data?

Probably, but would that not require every competitor that runs FI to fit a compatible tap for the boost monitor/gauge?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Also worth adding, data would be very hard to manipulate and also allows for retrospective review, after the event so to speak.

You could quite easily have someone lift the bonnet and re-set a gauge like that between track exit and scrutineering for example.

It's also unlikely that every car would be monitored I'd imagine, just a random select few and those who are being "challenged" I guess.

I don't see how any sort of mechanical solution is really viable tbh. Fuel dry breaks etc are more straight-forward for testing, trying to come up with a boost monitoring solution that needs to be applied to all cars is simply not viable unless I'm missing something obvious.

I for one wouldn't make modifications, which will likely require some fabrication just to prove I'm not cheating. I can hand over my data in 30 seconds which will tell whomever what they need to know in a s much detail as they want.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:20 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

not all folk run ECUs that can log... thats the issue.

My thinking would be a mandatory (when asked to run) gauge secured in engine bay with a peak tell. Can T off a vac line easy enough... driver cant fiddle with it

Costlier options exist of course.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

AK wrote:
not all folk run ECUs that can log... thats the issue.

My thinking would be a mandatory (when asked to run) gauge secured in engine bay with a peak tell. Can T off a vac line easy enough... driver cant fiddle with it

Costlier options exist of course.

It would need to be a calibrated gauge, it would need to be unaffected by ambient temperatures, there would have to be a specified place for it to be fitted (tap port) in each car. It would need to be referenced against the measured boost when the power runs were carried out.

Of course, that's presuming that boost is the means of manipulating power. What about ignition timing, valve timing, turbo vane settings (more torque), fuel quality, AFR? Are we going to specify the tyre pressures for the dyno runs? What about the weight of oil and temperatures in the transmission during the tests vs on the track? What about the exhaust or induction system?

I'm not accusing anybody of manipulating power figures, but there's so many potential variables, especially with forced induction cars with programmable ECUs.

Look how long it took F1 to catch teams running launch control and traction control, even with the resources available to the FIA.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:11 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yes, of course Renny... but lets focus on the things we can look into. I'd hazzard a guess that most folk would opt for a simple boost change if they were in fact 'cheating'. This may simply act as a deterant. All turbo cars will have a place for fitment - just a few differences in hose size i'd imagine. Calibrate - yes...

traction/launch/anti-lag/ABS are all fine in SLS arent they?

I'd like to think I could do a 51s lap with max power for B class, traction control and ABS Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:36 pm PostPost subject:
Natthapon
established user

I'm sure the MLR did this in there sprint series to check randomly be worth asking on the MLR.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic