Munros by MTB

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:17 pm PostPost subject: Munros by MTB
AK
Site Admin

I've done a few hills on a bike before, but tackled my first Munro by bike this weekend.

Great fun, tiring, but awesome views and downhill at the end Very Happy

Mullach Clach a Bhlair and Sgor Gaoith, from Glen Feshie.

Will post up some pics....

Any others you'd recommend on bike? I.e not a ballache to get up, and not too psychotic to go down?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:18 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-needed-to-put-the-mountains-into-mountain-biking-riding-the-munros/

Ben Chonzie - from the Comrie side

Beinna Ghlo

Ben Vorlich from Loch Earn

Ben Avon

"Hi guys

After knocking out several big mountain routes on the bike this year, the five munros in Lochnagar being my most recent on Sunday and definite favourite of the year so far, I’m looking to find out what other munros are worth riding beyond the usual classics of Ben Lomond, Carn Ban Mor, Ben Lawers, Ben Vorlich, Braeriach, MacDui, Beinn a Bhuird, Cairngorm etc.

If anyone has ridden or walked any of the following (or any others that spring to mind) that you thought might make for a good day out on the bike, can you let me know?

Ones on my radar are

Ben Chonzie from the Comrie side
Ben Wyvis
Beinn Dearg above Blair Atholl
Mount Keen (probably the most obvious one)
Beinn Ime and Narnain (from the west – the east is just a scramble)
Ben Nevis – never done it, always wondered, heard mixed reports
The Mamore range of mountains – I’ve seen a steep track head up from Kinlochleven that could make for a great descent
Bynack Mor – rode up the shoulder
The Buchaille – one of my mates walked it recently and reckons it’s a possibility. I’m not convinced but never say never
Any of the munros around Dalwhinnie
Stob Binean and Ben More – walked them, definite potential from the Balqhuider side
Ben Cruachan
Dreish and Mayar – look pretty easy off the Kilbo Path – cloud cover on Saturday knocked the summits on the head
Five sisters of Kintail – I’m sure someone mentioned this to me in passing but not sure if they were being serious or not

I’m sure that there are plenty more so keen to read your experiences particularly of stuff in the west of the country. A carry all the way to the summit isn’t a worry if there is reward of descent. It doesn’t have to be all rideable down either. Stuff like the Glas Alt descent off Lochnagar are absolutely fine by me.

On a related note, has anyone ridden from Glen Clova into Glen Esk? Any pics? Any good?

Cheers

Sanny "
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:22 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Carn na Cairn

A'Bhuidheanach Bheag

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/carn-na-caim.shtml#route-profile

They sound a bit dull, but prob better on a bike than walking
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm PostPost subject:
POAH
Science Geek

Ben chonzie isn’t worth while to do another than doing it.

Done Ben Vorlich at Koch earn in a bike. Not that easy up the top then a sanitised path. Vid on my channel.

Mayar and driesh are on my list as is the cobbler and Beinn ime.
I’ve got a list of munros that Sanny has ridden on the laptop I’ll send over tomorrow to you Adam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQraCWA2B4UThe

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:39 am PostPost subject:
POAH
Science Geek

Mt Keen - pretty easy to do. not a bad decent but not a patch on what we did. Best to do with the Fungle singletrack.

Mayar and driesh - Kebo path is having some forestry work done at moment. don't know what the diversions are.

Aonach Mor - Can get gondala up then out west to Meall Beag then nice little techy path/push to summit, take in Aonach Beag well beat path
amazing views, back Meall Beag then your choice of decent from Gondola station.

Carn a'Chlamain - ridable almost to the top. couple of descents possible. Looks quite good.

Others - Carn Ghluasaid, Glas Maol, Meall nan Ceapraichean (trail center black apparently), Schiehallion,

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 pm PostPost subject:
istoo
user

was up there this summer as well. cracking view, which way did you come down? We headed back towards the old mule track to the west via the weather station.

others;
Mt Keen - used to be the go to ride in the 90-00s but bikes eat it now. easy but a good long day from aboyne up glen tanar, and back by jungle/firmonth.

Mayar & driesh, not done for a decade, but used to have to go right down near Glen Clova to start, Kilbo path was good from memory.

Ben Wyvis - no fun, brought up on the edge of it, not a great ride, but its doable.

Ben Avon - good run

Glen Clova - goot to the south, a great descent in from the loch Muick side.

Being a'buird next door is better, start form west and arc the peaks and come down the east side and ride back

Ben Macdui - such a good run, long hike a bike, but rewardingly good descent. epic.

Lochnagar - get this right starting form loch quick and you can ride the saddles from jocks road, the B52 wing and then lochnagar and bag 4 munroes in a day. the descent is mega. very physical, very epic.

Ben Nevis - do it once to say you have done it, i guarantee you wont do it again!

lock back in time on single track form posts from 'messiah' he was great at reporting out.

Kinlochleven - again epic, well trodden routes if you check MBR or starve routes.

Dalwhinnie - looked great on OS maps never rode well. that was in the late 90's early 00's though.

Five sisters of Kintail - beautiful scenery, riding was so so but the place was great ,mountain bothy dead in the middle too.

Add to the list; are also missing;
Torridon.
Ben Volich
Beinn Eighe

I am sure there are others i am missing

Have ridden Arkle and Foinaven. a lot fo bog romping, but part of the adventure. a lot of this comes down to what your expectations are? Do you want a trail centre path or are you happy to get a bit lost, wander through bogs/ streams to tick one off?

its all over the web now, but we had an unwritten rule about not publishing routes / rides. but strava has undone a lot of that. It still amazes me how few mountain bikers actually go mountain biking. I don't mind the odd trail centre, but the Scottish wilderness really has some amazing rides.

central to all of the above was my old riding pal Brian 'messiah' goldsworthy. he was a regular on singletrack world and if you look through the archives logged a lot of these routes and guided a ton of folks. He is no longer with us sadly. I do at least one big hill ride a year in memory with our riding group.

Great to see you enjoying it Adam for what it really is. brilliant.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:09 pm PostPost subject:
POAH
Science Geek

istoo wrote:
was up there this summer as well. cracking view, which way did you come down? We headed back towards the old mule track to the west via the weather station.

headed back down the way we came and took a right to head back down the stalkers path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQraCWA2B4U

istoo wrote:

its all over the web now, but we had an unwritten rule about not publishing routes / rides. but strava has undone a lot of that. It still amazes me how few mountain bikers actually go mountain biking. I don't mind the odd trail centre, but the Scottish wilderness really has some amazing rides.

I hate that attitude that some riders have. I have got no issue sharing the rides I do.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic