SLS Round 1 2019 - TimeTable, Entry, Line Timing

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 pm PostPost subject: SLS Round 1 2019 - TimeTable, Entry, Line Timing
AK
Site Admin

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

LIVE TIMING - http://www.smart-timing.co.uk/Live%20Timing.htm
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:47 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Is there an entry list of competitors?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 am PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

Entry list at https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcvhmx2bp9js5ux/KMSC%20Entry%20List%2021_04_19.xls?dl=0

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Super Lap Scotland Round 1...

Busy day, and roasting.

Wasnt really sure what to expect with the Mini in Class G as its a few kg/hp off the upper limit (not much... but not right at the top!) and i've never really used the car for a single flying lap style of competition. Change of tactics as the straight line pace is crap.... or just get out first and try to boss it from the start (tactics in class B)?

Warmup - got to the front early.... then the car refused to start. Some attempts to bump it failed then it just decided to work. Go Go Go. No longer first on the road but made a gap and did my one flying lap. 62.9 or there about. Sat in the pits waiting 'till Adam Morrison pipped it. Back out and 1 flying lap again - 62.4. Happy enough with that, parked it. P1 in class and 28th out of 57 Very Happy

Practice - Car wouldnt start :/ Matthew Lawson on the case and narrowed it down to ECU/Immobiliser. Not sure what has failed, but chucking in the ECU/Immobiliser/key for the new build cured it. Fired up right away, but had missed the session. No drama... saves fuel, no points lost 👍🤣

Chase Qualifying - From the outset I said I wasnt really fussed where I qualified as I knew it would be at the back or towards the back... and racing the other Mini and Colin Dorward in the Swift. Not a huge issue to start about 3m further back. As it panned out I qualified P1 in class with my 1 flying lap.... but by just 0.001 from Adam Morrison 🧐 Good Good.

SLS Qualifying - This didnt quite go to plan....My first hot lap was feeling OK (bit scrappy but 62ish) but missed 3rd out of hairpin. 2nd Lap was OK so came and waited in the pits with an eye (Craig's ) on the timing. Ray McGinlay crept past with a high 62s lap which meant I had to go out again. I hate that... and struggle to stay composed 🤣Chasing times leads to me getting a bit more aggressive and scrappy... 2 wheels at duffus, a couple of gravel excursions... but composed it and did enough to get a mid 62 somewhere in there and back up to P1. Job done.

VID - Part 1 - https://youtu.be/8JFsh08svWA
VID - Part 2 (messy) - https://youtu.be/wKU_zzbZwuU

SLS Final - I'm not really sure what to think of the lap. Took it too easy... a bit scrappy. Either way... i scraped P1 with a 63.0, My first hot lap in the 63 all day, but luckily I think everyone was a little slower on the final lap. Phew! Full points and a good start to the SLS season at the lower end of the classes Smile I was a bit apprehensive and wasn't sure how the slower group (lowest classes) would compare (driving standards/folk moving/blocking laps etc) - had zero issues though and a great bunch in F and G (group1) Very Happy

VID - https://youtu.be/n41JwKmPz8Y

Chase Race: Done a few (🥴) race laps in the Mini now so know what to expect.... and had a Mini Cooper Cup alongside me on the grid so was expecting a race long battle. I knew tyres were going to be an issue (over heating) so initially tried to look after them, but that kinda went out the window when Adam was remaining pretty close. Not close enough to expect the dive up the inside at the Hairpin mid race though 🤣Did enough to keep P1 in class. Quite tricky to keep the pace up whilst trying to ease the lapping cars through though. Tyres were like jelly towards the end and it was a relief to see the flag. Clean sweep Very Happy

VID - https://youtu.be/eDpT2_fkpUI

Great day out... brilliant seeing how much fun Jonny was having. He seems to love cars, and loved the trip down in the old 911.

Thanks to Craig Dillon for chasing after me all day (must have been a shity day not to have been out yourself :/ ), Andrew MacDonald for the support, Matthew Lawson for taking my abuse ( Razz ) and having a look at Barbies electrics. Fiona Kindness for all the help and literally chasing Jonny about the paddock all day 🤣😎

Thanks again to the Knockhill Racing Circuit / Super Lap Scotland staff, marshals and medical teams. It was nice weather for once but still a long day in the sun! Cheers.

MyLaps results - https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Events/1647741
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:39 pm PostPost subject:
Andy Sedgley

I was flaggie on post 4 on Sunday, and really enjoyed watching you guys tearing it up all day. Terrific to see your onboard video AK!

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:15 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Andy Sedgley wrote:
I was flaggie on post 4 on Sunday, and really enjoyed watching you guys tearing it up all day. Terrific to see your onboard video AK!

I think I was a bit banzai on some laps Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm PostPost subject:
MHR1294

Adam I particularly enjoyed the part of your post which says your straight line pace is crap. Think I topped 62mph over the start line!

The final was the only time I was able to get a clear run, because in all the practice and qualifying I had to move out of everyone else's way lol.

Gearbox change for me as a minimum for next time, spent most of my lap in 5th gear. Down to 4th for Scotsman, back into 5th at butchers, 3rd for the hairpin and repeat.

I got a black and orange flag too, for having a diesel... Laughing

"your car is burning oil!" Rolling Eyes

It was fine in the afternoon, it did look a bit like it was oily first thing in the morning, but the exhaust was recycled from my dead GTi, so I think it was probably just oil residue burning from the inside.

Brilliant day though

Cool

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

62mph :O

Very Happy

I'm normally about 130mph VMAX at SLS, so in relation to that my 96mph is crap Laughing

Yeah - I saw the flag out for you

It takes a wee bit of time to get a hang of finding/making space. The mini cooper r50 is prob the 4th/5th slowest car in the whole group but I cant say that i was held up at all... nor do I think I held anyone up.
I remember giving you some flashes between chicane to clarks - that wasnt to say 'Move', just that i could see i was going to catch you towards exit of Clarks and to give you a heads up that I was behind. Seemed to work well
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 pm PostPost subject:
MRFULTON

I had a bit of a disaster of a morning, breaking down 3 corners into the warm up and missing all of practice with APEXi ECU issues.

Car was compromised (red line was best time at a track day in March with MaxSport RB5's on, white line was Sunday qualifying, with AR1's).

Scrutineering suggested seeking out Matty Lawson (helpful guy) and he reset the ECU and the car ran a default map, and really didn't feel right and felt noticeably slow on the straight. However it allowed me to take part.

I only attended my first Trackday in February, and that was my first ever event. I really enjoyed Sunday, and everybody was really helpful - I'm not sure I expected that. I learned loads from following better drivers both at the Track night on Saturday and the Qualifying for SLS.

I have noticed that doing this by yourself is quite hard when it isn't going right, I'm a novice and none of my friends or family are "car" people - I am realising that would help a lot, even just on the wallet strings. I went into the weekend with a goal of not finishing last in my class, so really happy with coming in 3rd in class F, it was unexpected.

Really looking forward to Croft, and even decided to go ahead with ARDS and booked that up last night. Hopefully have a fully working car by then too.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I was watching you following Fee (blue Mini Cooper R50) for a while on the Saturday evening and the car looked to be going really well. Nice and stable down duffus Smile

Having folk there to help (even if they are of limited technical ability) does ease the load a bit. Some events are harder than others Laughing I've had events where simply putting fuel in is the biggest job, others where I'm covered in dirt/oil/water and rolling on the floor trying to fix something. Somebody to remind you to eat, run around after you is a big help Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:25 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

interesting plot...

Max speeds down, corner speeds up Very Happy Thats a good way to get quicker when the ECU issues are sorted
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:36 pm PostPost subject:
MRFULTON

AK wrote:
interesting plot...

Max speeds down, corner speeds up Very Happy Thats a good way to get quicker when the ECU issues are sorted

I agree. In some ways it was easier being a little slower, just a little bit more time to think - although I maybe over drove the car trying to compensate. I do feel my qualifying lap is the best lap I've done at knockhill - despite being 1.9 seconds slower than my PB. Even when my power issue is fixed, I don't think I've got the talent or machinery to get close to Paul Bell.

My other error was I filled the car up full - expecting to do practice and warm up, so went into the final with 2/3rds of a tank of fuel - so carrying about 30kg I didn't need.

Following the Blue Track Scotland Mini for half a dozen laps was useful, although the FF drive is dynamically a little different from the MR drive. Interesting to compare braking points and lines.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 pm PostPost subject:
AMD
established user

MHR1294 wrote:
Adam I particularly enjoyed the part of your post which says your straight line pace is crap. Think I topped 62mph over the start line!

The final was the only time I was able to get a clear run, because in all the practice and qualifying I had to move out of everyone else's way lol.

Gearbox change for me as a minimum for next time, spent most of my lap in 5th gear. Down to 4th for Scotsman, back into 5th at butchers, 3rd for the hairpin and repeat.

It was fine in the afternoon, it did look a bit like it was oily first thing in the morning, but the exhaust was recycled from my dead GTi, so I think it was probably just oil residue burning from the inside.

Brilliant day though

Cool

I noticed the flag myself and thought why as it’s just being a normal diesel.

Can’t wait for Renny to take a fit over mine Laughing

https://youtu.be/b0qqbB7JSu8

https://youtu.be/SkURfA7T4tc

Wed May 01, 2019 8:44 pm PostPost subject:
MHR1294

AK wrote:
62mph :O

Very Happy

I'm normally about 130mph VMAX at SLS, so in relation to that my 96mph is crap Laughing

Yeah - I saw the flag out for you

It takes a wee bit of time to get a hang of finding/making space. The mini cooper r50 is prob the 4th/5th slowest car in the whole group but I cant say that i was held up at all... nor do I think I held anyone up.
I remember giving you some flashes between chicane to clarks - that wasnt to say 'Move', just that i could see i was going to catch you towards exit of Clarks and to give you a heads up that I was behind. Seemed to work well

Yeah no worries man, I did see you and I knew you wouldn't be behind me that fast Smile

AMD wrote:
MHR1294 wrote:

Brilliant day though

Cool

I noticed the flag myself and thought why as it’s just being a normal diesel.

Can’t wait for Renny to take a fit over mine Laughing

https://youtu.be/b0qqbB7JSu8

https://youtu.be/SkURfA7T4tc

Tbh your car does look a bit smokey, have you had the AFR checked? Not sure what like on a TDi but with my indirect the best AFR is around the 20-22:1 mark. I do have 30:1 compression ratio though.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic