Clio 172 Cup - SLS Class F Podium Car - Very High Spec

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Cars For Sale    Page 1 of 1

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:00 am PostPost subject: Clio 172 Cup - SLS Class F Podium Car - Very High Spec
Cliocupracer

After 10 fabulous years of owning my Clio, I've now decided the time is right to move onto something else and let someone else enjoy this fantastic hot hatch.

I will mention from the outset that this won't be the cheapest 'track focused' (and road legal) Clio you will find for sale however I'd like to draw the attention of potential buyers to two relevant points:

- Firstly, the background/history of the vehicle. This car has only had 2 private owners from new and completed only 49,800 miles. This isn't your average Clio track car with typically higher mileage and multiple owners like many others on the market. I've owned the car for 10 years and acquired it in its original factory condition in August 2009. The original owner was a local lady who purchased it brand new from the Renault Aberdeen dealership. It was her 'baby' and came to me with full Renault dealer history. The car has been stored inside from the day I bought it and has wanted for absolutely nothing. As you'll see from the specification below, it has been upgraded over the years by me with top quality parts/brand names considered to be among the best available for the Clio.

- As I've done/overseen all modifications myself from the time I acquired the car in its original condition, the sale will include ALL original parts that have been removed from the car to make it into the more track focused Clio that it is today. This includes everything from the original seats, carpets, trim, wheels, suspension, exhaust, air box/filter, steering rack, brakes, fog lights, etc, etc. This gives the next owner the flexibility to refit some parts if necessary (e.g. to comply with hillclimb/sprint regs) or even consider returning the car to its original factory specification at some point in the future. I was very close to going down this route myself but the car is so good/competitive in its current form, I'm hoping it will find a new owner that can take advantage of the car as it is.

The full specification of the car is as follows:

Background/Description of Vehicle:
- Renault Clio 172 Cup
- First registered: 6th December 2003
- 1 lady owner (local) from new with full Renault dealer history until I acquired it on 11th August 2009 (all servicing thereafter performed by myself)
- HPI clear, no accidents in the car's entire life either on road or on track
- 49,800 miles from new
- Car is Taxed, MOT'd and Insured (clean MOT with no advisories, expires 13th July 2020)
- Includes both original keys and all original factory books (owners manual, service book, stereo, etc) as well as the original Clio 172 Cup sales brochure

Engine, Exhaust & Gearbox
- Original 2.0L 16V engine in standard form other than a BMC carbon airbox (with cold air ducting feed from front bumper) and RSTuner remap
- The sale will also include the RSTuner module allowing further custom maps to be written to the ECU as well as the original factory map restored. The module also allows diagnostic analysis to be performed.
- Rolling road (RA Motorsport in Perth) output of 180BHP/150lbft measured at the engine puts it right at the top of Class F in Super Lap Scotland
- Timing belt, auxillary belt, dephaser and water pump all changed for brand new O.E. Renault items last year (timing belt won't need changing until at least 2023)
- Yozzasport stainless race exhaust system with rear silencer repacked in August 2019. You can't buy these exhausts any longer and they're highly sought after in the marketplace, considered by many to be the best aftermarket system ever made for the Clio 172.
- K-Tec sports cat (brand new in August 2019). A cat is necessary to comply with SLS regs
- Yozzasport decat pipe will also be supplied with the sale
- KTR Group N upper engine mount and upper gearbox mount
- Poly bushed dog bone gearbox mount
- Upgraded centre and rear exhaust hangers
- Quaiffe LSD purchased brand new from Quaiffe in May 2017 and fitted to gearbox by Agency Transmissions (Clio gearbox legends), gearbox was reconditioned at the same time, all changes are buttery smooth! Sump gasket also renewed at same time. Only done 800 miles.
- Motul gearbox oil
- PMS gear shifter/linkage

Suspension & Steering:
- AST 5100 Coilovers, purchased brand new from AST and fitted in May 2017 (only done 800 miles since fitting) includes 12-way adjustable shock absorbers
- Front AST struts are slotted to allow a wide range of camber adjustment
- I also have a set of Bilstein B14 coilovers which I purchased new from KAM Racing and used before the AST’s. I could fit these instead of the AST’s and reduce the price of the car should this be more appealing to a potential buyer (e.g. the Bilstein set uses the original rear spring location with a separate shock absorber to comply with hillclimb regs)
- PMS solid top mounts & strut brace
- Powerflex bushes fitted to front ARB and wishbones
- Northloop Cup roll centre correction kit (extended ball joints and TRE's with spherical bearings) fitted new in 2018 (both front wheel bearings were replaced at the same time). These have been meticulously cleaned/lubricated after each event. These are fitted on separate 172 Cup hubs therefore the sale will also include the vehicle's original hubs with OEM ball joints & TRE's
- Electric steering conversion with Clio dci column, motor and rack (fitted new in 2018 along with new O.E. Renault inner tie-rods at the same time), this conversion saves weight and allows the steering resistance to be adjusted using a rotary dial on the dash (crank it up for manoeuvering the car in the paddock and dial it back for more feel when out on track). I also found the car accelerated slightly quicker after this modification due to there being less drag on the engine with the hydraulic PAS pump being removed
- OMP suede steering wheel (in fantastic condition)
- NRG Quick Release steering boss (new in 2019)

Brakes:
- Brembo solid discs front & rear
- Ferodo DS 1.11 front pads (lots of pad material left)
- Ferodo DS 2500 rear pads (lots of pad material left)
- Motul RBF 660 brake fluid
- Braided lines
- Calipers painted red using high quality BCS Automotive paint (doesn't melt like the cheap stuff)
- Front fog lights, inner wheel arch liners and carbon cannister all removed to improve air flow to the front brakes (all of these original parts will be included in the sale)

Interior:
- Safety Devices 6 point bolt-in roll cage with cross door bars and single rear diagonal (supplied new to me by SD's UK agent Mark Fish Motorsport in bare metal which I then had professionally powder coated in orange to match the wheels). The quality of the powder coating is superb. Note that this cage is commonly referred to as the "dash dodger" model and therefore no cutting/damage to the factory dashboard was necessary. It passes scrutineering for SLS no problem however may not be suitable for some race series, but could be upgraded relatively easily if required.
- Carpets and some trim removed to allow fitting of roll cage (everything removed will be supplied with sale)
- Recaro Profi SPG driver seat (fine for SLS but not in date) on side mounts with Clio specific subframe (note this is a 'snug' fitting seat, suits my 5'5 31" waist frame very well but likely not suitable for a larger driver therefore happy to discount the sale price slightly if buyer wants to arrange their own seat). Alternatively, I can supply a pair of Corbeau Forza bucket seats in excellent condition on Clio specific sliding subframes (base mounted) which I purchased brand new from Demon Tweeks and used initially in the vehicle before moving to the single Recaro seat. These would be ideal if the next owner wants to use the car more frequently on the road due to the sliding subframes
- TRS 3" 4-point harness (fine for SLS but not in date). if the buyer wants to take the Corbeau seats option, I will include 2 sets of OMP 2" 4 point harnesses
- Both front air bags removed but will be supplied with sale
- All electrics and wiring loom left exactly as factory spec and everything works (heater, stereo, electric windows, etc)
- Ballast total of 38kg has been bolted to the passenger side floor in 2 locations to keep the car in Class F however this is easily removed (for reference I weigh 70KG and ran with 1/6th tank of fuel). The location of the ballast has been optimised for the best corner weighting result with various locations tried before settling on the current location.

Wheels & Tyres
- 15" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 alloys, purchased by me directly from the Team Dynamics factory in bare metal which I then had professionally painted in Fusion Orange. These are in fantastic condition (no damage/kerbing) and are the correct bore size for the Clio so no spigot rings to mess about with
- 195/50/R15 Yokohama A052 road legal track tyres, these were fitted new in June 2019 and have had only a small amount of use. They are fantastic tyres and were feeling stronger each time they were used. I set my PB's for both track directions of Knockhill with these tyres at the last two rounds.
- 5mm spacers all round (PMS)
- PMS wheel stud conversion
- The sale will also include the vehicle's original Speedline Turini 16" wheels which are in fantastic condition after being professionally refurbished in gloss anthracite. These are fitted with 195/45R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres. These were intended to be used as my wet track tyres however have only been used once so are basically 'as new'. When they were used, they were superb in proper wet conditions.

As you can see the car has a superb specification and will allow someone to be competitive straight out of the box. I finished 3rd in Class F of Super Lap Scotland in 2019 despite missing out on points during one of the final runs due to a faulty ignition coilpack (replaced and the car has since ran flawlessly). I managed a PB of 61.0 seconds in round 7 (reverse direction) which was the joint fastest time set by any FWD car in Class F during 2019 with the exception of Paul Bell in round 1 before he moved up to Class E. The new Yokohama A052 tyres were getting better with each event and the car is definitely capable of getting into the 60's around Knockhill. The car is consistently in the fastest bunch of Class F amongst speed trap recordings.

Asking for £6,750 (the 2nd hand value of all uprated parts plus the base vehicle are worth considerably more than this).

Please feel free to message me with any questions about the vehicle, I can also provide detailed photographs. The car is also advertised on cliosport.net with photos included.

Thanks

Kevin

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Cars For Sale    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic