SMRC 2020 - Dilemmas

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:39 pm PostPost subject: SMRC 2020 - Dilemmas
Erik
user

Finally looking to dip my toe in to competitive racing in the 2020 season.

However, im somewhat torn in terms of which direction to go in now that its getting in to the actual business of making plans for the year ahead.

Initially it had always really been my inention to get myself involved in the Hot Hatch Championship. In essence, thats kinda my bread and butter and effectively what my background has always been.

But now that i'm coming towards making the jump in - i'm starting to question if thats an entry which is worthwhile.

Have started pondering over the merits of jumping on board with the B3 class in Sports and Saloons. In many ways, that actually seems to make more sense.

- No yokohama tyre restriction in S&S (i've a set of brand new AR1's sitting waiting in the garage anyway which would be no use to me in the Hot Hatch Championship but fine for S&S.
- No Catalytic Converter requirement (car doesnt have one at the moment, and would need one for Hot Hatch but not for S&S)
- Increased numbers with S&S. Granted there arent massive numbers of B3 cars - but in the Hot Hatch Championship theres a chance i could end up running on my own.
- No need for power to weight calcs / power runs etc. The switch to power to weight rather than just engine size probably disadvantaged me, and as such would have to be careful not to exceed even the top bracket of that in the Hot Hatch Championship.

Had initially thought it was a bit of a dilemma - but when you see it written down like that, it kinda makes zero sense to go down the Hot Hatch route - which is a crying shame as really i think thats where my car belongs. I certainly consider it to be more of a Hot hatch Car than a Sports and Saloons one.

So - is it really a no brainer? Or are there factors i've missed above which might be worth considering?

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:12 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I'd opt for S&S for the simple reason that I havent seen much of a grid for Hot Hatch Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:27 am PostPost subject:
crayons
user

FYI there are some changes being proposed for the S&S regulations, but they should be an improvement for folk who were running in B3, things like races will be timed instead of number of laps, i think its will be 12 mins, meaning every class gets a full race and the class structure is getting updated a bit as well. There is a draft copy discussed on the S&S drivers facebook page, or you could give Andy the drivers rep a shout and im sure he will fill you in.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:12 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Cheers. I’m certainly swaying more towards the S&S route at the moment. Which is a shame as I’d love to see the hot hatch thrive - but there just doesn’t seem to be the numbers just now for it Sad

Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm PostPost subject: Re: SMRC 2020 - Dilemmas
scottish scrutineer
established user

Erik wrote:
Finally looking to dip my toe in to competitive racing in the 2020 season.

- No Catalytic Converter requirement (car doesnt have one at the moment, and would need one for Hot Hatch but not for S&S)

The requirement for a Cat is still there in Sports & Saloons. It is a General Regulation that applies to all cars after the cut-off date.

Renny

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:15 am PostPost subject:
Erik
user

Cheers Renny. Did wonder but thought it odd it was mentioned specifically in one set of regs but not the other.

Maybe no bad thing I guess - means the car should at least be eligible for both championships barring a set of tyres.

Sorry - did warn you the schoolboy questions might be numerous haha

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Motorsport    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic