J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17   Page 17 of 17

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Sooo Winter work is well under way! Long, prob boring read.

For its last MOT i had to do a chunky repair to the Sill, i knew this day would come so after i patched it i decided it was time to put new sills on it.

Sad

Because i have a touch of OCD i couldn't just put new sills on it, i would have to do something with the rear arches, now you can get pattern ford focus rs rear arches as some classic car company bought the stamps from ford, but i decided to go down the route of getting the rear wide arches to match the front. Full carbon kevlar rear 1/4 panels.

Because i was doing the rear arches i decided the underside of the car could do with a bit of TLC so thats where we will start.

So, this is what i was faced with, 17 years old, 80 odd thousand miles of fords finest metal with Scotlands all season roads! Sad

Doesnt look to bad....

Tank dropped.

Small mirical i didnt find any holes

So the long and pain staking process of scraping all the underseal off and buffing all the surface rust off started! it prob took me about 20 hours all in to removed it all, horrible stuff and not fun doing it on your back!

The whole underside was then treated with rust converter.

Dry/Converted

Whole lot was then Zinc sprayed

Then painted with 2 pack expoy

I was going to raptor coat it but i think il just leave it with this, its fairly hard stuff and iv been using it on the wheel wells for the last year and a bit and its still in good nick so i think for the underside it will be fine and saves adding any more weight!

Rear axle dragged out, love how easy it is to drop the whole lot in a 1er!

And although a jet wash would of seen it ok, full strip down was done!

and sent off to Customised Coatings

At the same time the nuts and bolts that didnt round were sent off to get re zinc plated

So due to the wide arches being about 1.5" wider each side, even my plan to run the square 255 set up on the 9J rims all round would leave the rears looking a little lost!

Luckily i can rob bits from the ford racing puma and 20mm axle spacers should work out just fine.
They need a little trim to clear the ABS sensor like so.

I then got the rear axle built back up and mounted on the car.

Which then allowed me to get the rear hub spacers installed and brakes all built back up.

Il need to run new brake lines due to the axle spacers, but il do that when im running new lines underneath.

Can see the beefy spacers here!

IMG_0791 by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

So that's really the last 6 weeks update! Hopefully in my week at home in December i get a good crack at replacing the sills and then its onto the rear arches!

Thanks

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:43 pm PostPost subject:
Matty.H
user

Keeping another blue oval alive!!!

Decent bit of graft there Jack. Thankless task cleaning the underside of the car lying on your back.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:54 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Aww matty, it wasnt fun, it took what felt like hours of scrapping that stuff off! getting the stuff as hot as you can (it starts to smoke/burn) makes the world of diffrence to remove it. My cheap £20 ebay heat gun is still going, gobsmacked as i used it to removed all the coating stuff on the inside of the focus, wrapped the motorbike and car with it, and all of that and its still working!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

HOLY FRANK!!! That's a lot of work, good effort. Can looks amazing.

Is the Focus seeing going to be seeing the track in 2020?

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Steve H wrote:
HOLY FRANK!!! That's a lot of work, good effort. Can looks amazing.

Is the Focus seeing going to be seeing the track in 2020?

Its getting there, hoping to have all the work done by the end of feb, then it really could do with another hour or 2 on the rolling road to just tweek the map and it should be good to go.

I want to do a round of SLS and a round of Time attack (an actual round not just a RWYB) but my im not sure if i will be able to with the way the race licences work, i need to upgrade mine but im not sure how far back i can go with Sigs Sad i think over the last 4 years iv only done 3 events ! the joys of working away

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17   Page 17 of 17

View previous topic
View next topic