J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18   Page 18 of 18

Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Little job updates.

Mounting the ECU has been a meh area for me, ty wraps had done their job well over the years but it was never ideal and it was something i wasn't really happy with.

So armed with more time on my hands a few ideas in my head i decided to give designing a bracket or clamp a go!
AutoCad hadn't been used since i made the coil pack bracket and that was a fairly basic 2D shape. This was going to have to be 3D for it to work.

A few hours (ok closer to 6) later i had a drawing that i was happy would do the job. It was simple, clamp over the ECU, using the Syvecs logo to hold it in position and allow me to bolt the ecu down.

Rev 3 (as rev 1 and 2 didn't even make it to print haha) was printed off by Dave at Track Formula !

I got it home and had stupidly made a mistake! I had forgotten about the lip that ran around the ECU. It would have still worked but i wanted it to snug the ECU a bit better!

So onto Rev 4 and it was sent to Dave again and it fits perfectly!

3D printing is a process that I'm fascinated with and if i was better at AutoCad 100% id be buying one and would be printing everything!

Next on the list was a job i had forgot about!

Dry break fuel sample point. Was something i had bought ages ago and only remember about it when clearing out my spares and coming across the fittings!

Required by Motorsport UK, a dry break fitting and barb to allow for fuel sampling. Simply installed into the return side of the fuel system and allows for quick and easy sampling!

Old trusty fuel requlator still going strong, i think i might change this out at some point as the fuel lines were kinda rushed all them years ago!

Into the return side go's the fittings

Then made up the open-ended fitting, this has to have at least 30cm of hose for the scrutineers to use to sample!

And a little rubber boot fitted once the line was disconnected!

Job done!

Sat May 09, 2020 4:39 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

nice and simple sampling point... we've always had them near pumps/tank and had issues with scrutes

ECU - bracket.... may pester you for a copy once i remember where/how ours is mounted Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:21 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Sooo nothing super exciting going on, iv been thinking of more things id like to do, 3.5" exhaust is the main one. When i get that done i think il change up the rad and intercooler a bit and also get another bonnet and move the air vent to above the manifold as im going to try some ducting of the rads up out the bonnet!

But something iv been working on over the weekend. I had a old Morrette headlight, i used to stick it in for track days but couldn't really use it when racing as it didnt have any lights. It allowed some fresh air into the air filter.

I decided i wanted to try and use it again even if it gives the car a bit of a pop eye look i like it. And enclosed air box is really needed but im not happy with the other version i made so il end up making another one i think!

so first things first onto ebay and got what would normally be a fog light with a halo ring, did a bit of digging and found one with an orange ring, ideal indicator then!

Its bright enough tbh! And the indicator is also fine! Had an old headlight that i had robbed bits off before so managed to save a plug and use it so its direct plug and play which is nice!

But i noticed when fitted there's a massive path for the air just to go into the front wing and not into the engine bay...

So i found a little bit of carbon weave that i had forgotten about so decided to make a deflector for it!
Sadly didnt take any photos, couldn't be bothered with the whole moulding and shaping thing so i just got an old 5l bottle, cut the top off, and just wet layed the carbon on top! wasn't expecting it to turn out perfect but it actually turned out pretty well haha!

So some ti wraps and rivets later it was fitted to the morrette light and will do the job just nicely!

Thanks Smile

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18   Page 18 of 18

View previous topic
View next topic