Mini Cooper Cup

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9   Page 9 of 9

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:00 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I'd suggest not speaking to teams unless you're going to 'sign up' with them - the advice may not always be good. I.e there would be little point of them existing as a business if they gave out advice that puts them out of business. Sounds niggly, but thats the way of things Laughing

I dont mind helping though - but i'm not in a position to make money from setup/running a team.

Brakes

replace the calipers - cheap, less than £500 all in and saves niggles with old worn seals etc
Pads - mintex f4R up front (£130 or so), Pagid road in the rear from motorfactor (£20)
Discs - Just pagid or Brembo from a motorfactor - nothing fancy - fronts about £30 a disc, rears about £20
Lines - All of our cars run braided flexis throughout - BUT definitely replace the flexis at each corner
Fluid - RBF660 - habit more than anything. Used it for over 10yrs with zero boiling so cant see a reason to change. Cheaper than Castrol's SRF too!!!

Used parts

i'd only use used parts for things like uprights/rear arms/mounts etc - just go new for ball joints/bearings etc - Just replace them at build - £400 to fit new all round - track rods, wheel bearings, inner/outer balljoints. Brand - Tried to stay with MOOG at the advice of previous team we ran with.

Suspension

I've driven both LEDA and AST.... but all 3 of ours run AST.

LEDA just felt a bit soft for my preference, but that's just a feeling. No doubt they are just as good, if a little 'soft' going by the stories you hear.

Had a few issues with snapping the rods on rear AST, BUT this has been designed out and our 2 new sets replaced FOC to correct the fault. Look around 2017-2018 units for rear struts being weak

Wheels and Tyres

Just go to Ronnie at Wheels Around - 1 stop shop, located at Knockhill and cheap.

ECU

Bit of an unknown here - Superchips are no longer I believe. Must be plenty spare ECUs around though - they were free to map (send OE ECU away, they flash it and return to Championship steward.. he seals it. You paid postage of course, so less than £20 all in) if entered into championship. I know were have around 2 spare Laughing

Cage

Safety Devices bolt in

Seems rare to find a good second hand deal BUT keep your eye out on the usual sites. I picked up a full cage (door X) for £450 on ebay. Good condition etc. New they are £800+

Buying parts - for all new safety stuff, Rear ARB, filter, cut offs etc I tend to use Hamish at Panda Racing. Good prices Smile

Engine - Start with whatever is in the car.... get a spare for ~£300. There are small gains from taking an engine to the max of the regs, but I think this would be of more benifit after a while on the car.

My pink car was 127bhp when I got it - £1200 later with new engine its 133bhp. Small gains are worthwhile - but if the budget is constrained I think £1000 on tracktime and tyres will far out weigh the benifits of ~4-5bhp.

As David mentions previously on post - making sure ancilleries/bolt on parts are good is just as important - fresh plugs, decent air filter - sensors working as expected.

Once the car is built / tested and known..... experiment with the setup. I know first hand of folk that run wildly different setups but are typically around same pace. I think the trend tends to be - find a setup you like and fine tune it from there RATHER than go with a setup someone else uses and try and adapt to it.

Case in point

Adam Morrison runs a setup i'd consider understeery
Fee - runs a setup similar to me - but less aggressive at the rear
Rumour has a few of the teams with very loose rear setups

Same goes with tyre pressures - my ideal seems strange top others Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
X5 40d M Sport
Mini Cooper Park Lane
MB Sprinter Camper
Track Scotland

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:22 am PostPost subject:
dake205

Some good advice there cheers, I’ve now got an expensive shopping list, I contacted Superchips and they are still trading but couldn’t advise of what was happening with the Mini Cooper cup, guy will speak to his bosses and get back to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9   Page 9 of 9

View previous topic
View next topic