NA or FI?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1
NA or FI?

NA
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
FI
72%
 72%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 11

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:06 pm PostPost subject: NA or FI?
asbo

Hi Folks,

First of all, what a cracking site! Think I must have been living under a rock the past few months.

Anyway (apologies if this has been done before), I think it's fair to say that we love our rally reps up here and I continue to be blown away (fnar fnar) by the performance these things deliver.

However, for me, a high revving NA 'six has always prickled my prickly bits and that's why I sit firmly in the Bavarian camp when it comes to forward propulsion, although I'm partial to some blown hog too.

But for track application, what do you all favour and why? Is FI and 4WD better for somewhere like KH, or is there merit in a compact 2wd NA screamer for example?

Cheers,

Simon

996 GT3 CS

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I like both....

Love high reving hard work engines like honda's.... but also like the very linear power all the way through with the likes of an M3. My 911 (not fast compared to modern day cars, still quicker than a CTR for example though) is like a train in its power delivery. 5th gear low revs.... floot it and it'll take off at a brisk pace all the way to red line. No real high/lows of a peaky powerband.

I also love the power you can get from turbo cars.... so easily. I MUCH prefer the more NA like delivery of the skyline over the impreza. Both are high reving engines (8500rpm) but the skyline is just a lot smother compared to the frenetic Impreza TypeR Laughing 6cly and 2 turbo's prob help out there.

I'll vote turbo Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:13 pm PostPost subject:
haggishunter
established user

I prefer the na noise, especially of a m3! Although as a route to get power fi is much better!

al

Welcome....to the derv side!

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 pm PostPost subject:
The Admiral
user

Turbo, and a big one Twisted Evil

Rog Laughing

p.s. Hi ASBO!

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:19 am PostPost subject:
davetrac-prep
established user

n/a for me, you cant make the car 'dance' with 4wd and turbos its all waiting for power then too much too late, depends if you want to go fast on corners or straights! supercharging is the best compromise. you cant beat the sound of big carbs or bodies tho Very Happy

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

just dont slow down as much then :O
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Ignoring oe cars, if you spec a turbo engine properly it will feel a lot like an n/a. Id vote turbo everytime because for me it not a choice, its powerful/not powerful for a given weight Razz

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:46 pm PostPost subject:
dunc
established user

Turbo everytime for me, more power less weight. Turbo lag's not a problem when you're on track because you're never out of the rev range of full boost anyway Smile

Dunc.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm PostPost subject:
SCZ4
user

This is a tricky one for me. My last car was a supercharged BMW Z4 3.0 with between 360-370bhp. It was the latest generation of supercharger, twin screw and made peak boost (8psi) at just 1950rpm all the up up to red-line. It had so much low down grunt, way quicker than my 3.2 M3, although very smooth in it's delivery, perhaps too smooth on reflection.

However, there is just something about the S50 3.2 M3 engine, it just entertains in a way no turbo or supercharged engine can, with the exception of a V8 or V10 of course, sounds awesome and the power kick is quite vicious.

I do miss the grunt sometimes and frequently jealous of people being able to make big power with just a remap and bigger intercooler. It's a shame turbo cars are so often 4x4 Razz Razz I find at Knockhill I end up with a turbo car right up your a$$ pulling out of the corner and it's only towards the end of the straight once the revs build right up you can start to pull away again.

Basically, I can't vote. A superchared M3 however would be stunning. Which I guess is FI, but built on something special.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 pm PostPost subject:
DavieR
established user

Turbo, all the way.

Keep it above 4000 revs, as you do on a track anyway, and it's power all the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic