Do I sell?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 am PostPost subject: Do I sell?
easty-5
established user

Ladies and Gents,

I am after some opinions of like-minded petrolheads. I have recently had a good offer of 5000 for my Starlet. I bought the car last september for 4400. I have just this past week forked out 1100 on having the engine rebuilt, new clutch, new flywheel, new driveshaft, yellow stuff pads and disks etc etc.

So in total the car has cost me around 5500 since september, excluding running costs. I love the straightline speed of the car but I can't help but feel its a bit "soft" when it comes to chucking it round corners but I have never actually driven it "hard" so I am unsure what exactly it is capable of.

I intend to do as much trackdays as I can as I really enjoy them so I'd need a car which can be used as my everyday car and track car.

Here is my shortlist;

VX220 - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/896118.htm

MR2 - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/939951.htm (Obviously change the wheels and some other bits and bobs Laughing)

Audi TT - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/938959.htm

MX5 Turbo - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/924806.htm

Golf Gti G60 - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/808871.htm (Although feel its a bit too retro)

OR do I just stick with the Starlet after spending all that money on it, track it and see how I like it. I doubt it will depreciate much more so I could sell in 6 months for a similar price. I will have just forked out more money maintaining it.

All thoughts, suggestions, opinions, idea's etc are greatly welcomed.

Cheers
Jamie

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

i think you need to give it a go on track before selling.... you have to Smile

Then sell it on if the offer is still there and you have your eye on something.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:24 pm PostPost subject:
chopper

Alright pal

have to agree, track it first then see what you think after, tracked mine for the first time on the 7th and it really opens your eyes to what your motors capable of Shocked

I'v always said that it doesnt matter what you've spent on your car, new parts, tunning, running costs etc, your never gona make that money back i just look on it as part of owning the car so 600 isnt a bad profit from what you paid Very Happy

You could always get an evo Wink

I'd keep the track bit quiet too if selling after

Good luck mate

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:19 pm PostPost subject:
haggishunter
established user

Do what you think is right mate, nothin worse than having niggling thoughts about your motor floating about your head.

Could sort ye out with a lovley diesel ibiza, never raced or rallied Laughing

al

Welcome....to the derv side!

Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:25 pm PostPost subject:
asbo

Hi Easty.

Think I might have seen you on the North Deeside Road today about 13.00.

I agree with the guys above. Get it on track and then decide.

Personally, I favour RWD or 4WD for the track, but having said that there are some unfeasibly quick front-drivers out there.

Make your next session the decider, or if you can't wait that long, try out your candidates on the road.

Perhaps add the s14 200SX to your list too non?

996 GT3 CS

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 pm PostPost subject:
easty-5
established user

Thanks for the input guys, its proved very useful to me.

I have decided to, as said in above post, use the SIDC day as a decider. Fingers crossed its dry. I gave it a good run today and as said before, the straightline speed is fantastic but I just don't have the confidence/balls to see how good it is on the corners. I'm a bit of a straightline hero on the roads. Laughing

At the top of my list for next car candidates is that VX220. Only offput being that its a cat D due to the front and rear clams having a minor crack. I will probably be going to see it the same weekend as the trackday. Will keep you guys updated to what I'll be driving on the 1st of May Smile

Asbo - I was on North Deeside road at around that time, was visting my brother in Culter. Wave next time Smile

Thanks
Jamie

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 pm PostPost subject:
dunc
established user

I see where the others are coming from and agree that you should give it a go on track but you could look at it this way. If it has not won you over yet and you have had it for a while then htere are plenty of cars that wcould win you over straight away.

Agree with the vx220 out of the list you have posted, it's definately the most track worthy out of the lot IMO. Once you've gone RWD on track you'll never go back tbh. Stretch to a cheaper elise as another option?

Dunc.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:01 pm PostPost subject:
Gus
user

If I'm honest, non of those cars float my boat, especially the TT! Get your Starlet on track, and start enjoying all the time and money you have put into it Smile

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic