New member in Edinburgh

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | New Users    Page 1 of 1

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 pm PostPost subject: New member in Edinburgh
DottySkee

Hi All,

Thought I'd stick up a quick introduction since I've just registered. I have lurked for a while mind you looking at the advice.

I've had the itch for trackdays/hillclimbs/sprints for a long time, ever since I got my licence really. Finally got started this year and the bug has been caught, unfortunately for my wallet!

The car is a Rev 2 MR2 Turbo, widely regarded as the least reliable track car in the world Laughing. It's a joint venture between me and my Dad, we both wanted a track car to avoid using our other cars on track and something we could have some fun in.

It does live up to the unreliable reputation but it's also great fun when it does work! Makes the hard work worth it.

I'll hopefully be at KH at the end of this month on the 25th if the car plays ball. If anyone is there, feel free to pop over and say hello WAVE

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm PostPost subject:
chompy
user

Yellow

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 pm PostPost subject:
matmr2
user

Welcome!

I've also got an mr2, just an n/a though but still good fun. Look forward to seeing the tubby!

What's happening on the 25th?

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:50 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Hello and welcome Thumbs Up
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:57 am PostPost subject:
DottySkee

matmr2 wrote:
Welcome!

I've also got an mr2, just an n/a though but still good fun. Look forward to seeing the tubby!

What's happening on the 25th?

There's an open pit lane day up on the KH website. Not booked my place yet but if the few bits and bobs I need to do no the car this weekend go to plan, I'll book it next week.

Well I'll probably inundate you with questions in the winter about wheel and tyre setup for the '2, I'm on standard 15" just now but need to get some track rubber on the car. Hopefully see you on track too.
Unfortunately the tyre choice of the 15" is slim pickings unles you stump for the R888s (600/set). I had looked at Federeal RSRs after going to a trackday with a mate in his supercharged MX5. He ran the Federals and the grip was mind blowing, not quite as good as the Toyos but for 50% of the price, to get 95% of the performance is a good deal.
Just a shame the MR2 runs funny tyres sizes and a stagger, can't get anything in the correct size without stepping up to 17", which I'm not sure about. It may provoke understeer on corner entry and snap over steer on the exit by "over wheeling" the car. That bit of flex in the sidewall on 15" helps the balance I think.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:00 pm PostPost subject:
matmr2
user

To be honest my car is a proper budget build! I'm on stock 15s, after looking into bigger wheels with correct stagger, new nuts, spigot rings, spacers then new rubber I just gave up and kept an eye out for part worns in the right size. Ended up with kumho v700 on rears and r888 on front, worked well for me! Bought new nankang ns2r or whatever they're called for wet days and they held up well, not as good as the toyos in the dry though as I got the harder compound because there was no softs in stock.

Have you done much work to the car yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | New Users    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic