Knockhill passing on the left- seems daft & dangerous to

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   Page 5 of 5

Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 pm PostPost subject:
Haggis
user

AK wrote:
just pull out Smile

its your track as much as theres Smile

This is absolutely the right way to do it. Be very firm, be very decisive and be very very clear. Signal if you feel you need to, but remember this - overtaking is by consent only on track, and whilst you might have indicated consent to the first car that passed you, no single car behind that should assume anything. It's your track and where you choose to get back on line (safely) to assume your corner is exactly where you should get back on line (safely) to assume your corner.

It happens at KH frequently, most often between Chicane and Clark since it is a relatively short overtaking opportunity, and getting hung out on the inside as car after car after car keeps you there is frustrating.

In this situation it helps no-one anyway - you are slow on the inside because of your situation, and those passing you have to slow too since they can't predict with total certainty how the corner will play out as they are forced (by their own actions, it should be said) to run wider.

Everyone on track has responsibilities and whilst there is a kind of informal etiquette associated with track driving, fast or slow, passing or being passed, experienced or new to it all, everyone should remember that everyone is there to have fun, it's not competitive and you should always respect those whom you find on track with you. Without that, it simply doesn't work.

H.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:55 pm PostPost subject:
AllyEP3

Haggis wrote:
AK wrote:
just pull out Smile

its your track as much as theres Smile

This is absolutely the right way to do it. Be very firm, be very decisive and be very very clear. Signal if you feel you need to, but remember this - overtaking is by consent only on track, and whilst you might have indicated consent to the first car that passed you, no single car behind that should assume anything. It's your track and where you choose to get back on line (safely) to assume your corner is exactly where you should get back on line (safely) to assume your corner.

It happens at KH frequently, most often between Chicane and Clark since it is a relatively short overtaking opportunity, and getting hung out on the inside as car after car after car keeps you there is frustrating.

In this situation it helps no-one anyway - you are slow on the inside because of your situation, and those passing you have to slow too since they can't predict with total certainty how the corner will play out as they are forced (by their own actions, it should be said) to run wider.

Everyone on track has responsibilities and whilst there is a kind of informal etiquette associated with track driving, fast or slow, passing or being passed, experienced or new to it all, everyone should remember that everyone is there to have fun, it's not competitive and you should always respect those whom you find on track with you. Without that, it simply doesn't work.

H.

I really appreciate the advice from you guys. At least you can relate to where I'm coming from so I feel a bit better Smile I know what I have to do next time!

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:21 pm PostPost subject:
Gord
established user

Since this thread has been bumped and it's been over a year since I took part in a TS event. Is the 'over take on the 2 straights only ' rule been scrubbed ?

Because when I had the camera at the last event, people were over taking whenever a car was driving slow and on the inside of track.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

depends on the trackday/event, but there are occasions when folk will just pull over where ever and there isnt much you can do but pass them. Not a good situation though, and the slower leading car SHOULD NOT do this
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:07 pm PostPost subject:
Gord
established user

It was the track day on the 1st Nov from guys on here.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:19 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Cool down laps? Issues with cars?

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:11 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

i had this very occasionally and it was either after i went off at duffus (at a previous trackday) where i went really slowly round in case damage, or cars had just came back onto track unexpectedly. i would say its exception rather than rule.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:47 pm PostPost subject:
Gord
established user

There was no issues and no one had gone off. It may have been cool down or warm up laps but there was 1-3 cars passing them before chicane. If those cars hadn't pulled into the inside of track then people wouldn't be put into the situation of do I over take or not.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   Page 5 of 5

View previous topic
View next topic