Drifting???

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:50 pm PostPost subject: Drifting???
AK
Site Admin

I thought I understood it..... but lately I have seen a lot of pics on Facebook that portray 'drifting' to be like banger racing? I.e the point seemed to be to wreck the car(s) rather than be good at controlling the car at crazy speeds and angles.

Has it changed, and the well presented cars are replaced with compete sheds?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:54 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:23 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

puzzles me too but at SLS they had the stuff and was impressive car control going on - thinks that's gymkhana?

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:25 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

drift bash form cheap cars that you drift as hard/fast/aggressive/close as you can until nothings left working I think the other way is pro type

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:03 pm PostPost subject:
Craig.H
established user

As chorlton says it's prob from the 'bash'

They take bangers and do all the things they would never do in their pro cars. Silly high speed entries, massive trains etc etc all with no worries about repair bills!

Makes for great viewing!

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 pm PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Really impressive to watch and must admit to watching it on youtube and if it's on at Knockhill it's massively entertaining.

Hats off the to people that do it too, and to the people who had the balls to set up driftland. Hope it works for them, hope it last, and hope they make millions from it!!!!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:36 pm PostPost subject:
CraigyT
user

I think the guys from Driftland must be reading this lol. Just saw this on Driftland's Facebook today.

I have a mate who is right into drifting and I can appreciate a nicely built drifter but lately every pic Ive seen has been a tatty old BMW which is pretty off-puting.

Good on them for taking this step.

In the wake of the Driftland BASH we have noticed that Driftland is gaining a reputation as a place where old, bruised BMWs come to die. The bash encourages super-close driving with maximum commitment - and inevitably leads to car contact which some may think is deliberate crashing or a destruction derby.
This is simply not the case - the UK's first purpose built track was designed and built at great cost to be able to satisfy drivers and cars of every skill and budget.
Everyone involved in Drifting wants it to evolve - venues, cars and driver skill. Whilst the missile will always have its place (and we aim to run missile specific events throughout each year) our collective goal is to improve the image of Drifting throughout the UK and beyond. With that in mind, we hope you will understand the need to make some changes to the criteria cars must satisfy to use our track.
From the 1st of September the following rules will be added to the existing rules for using the track. (website update to follow)
Cars must start the day with both front and rear bumpers fitted
Cars must have headlights and tail lights fitting into the factory positions and in reasonable condition
Cars must have all factory glass or perspex replacement windows (driver and passenger window glass can be replaced by approved netting)
Cars must have all panels present (including bonnet) and in reasonable condition without any sharp edges
Exterior aerosol graffiti is strongly discouraged and will not be deemed acceptable unless part of a full car design or professional paint finish.
Cars may be subject to checks by Driftland Staff at any point during an event and may be prohibited from using the track until any faults are rectified.
The car in the picture is the same car around 3 years apart, it was never intended to be a missile but sometimes its the way she goes. And is a great of example of what we are trying to avoid in the future.
All the rules can be seen here www.driftlanduk.com/info/rulesandsafety/
We wont be able to answer all the reply's to this post but if you have a specific question please drop us an email.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:24 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Whats a missile?

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:55 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

reading between the lines I think its a shed of a car that is used for drifting into walls/other cars?

Think back to KH in the early 2000s when TeamGimp mads those vids / Hot Hatch was its is lowest (prime to others!)... those scrappers were the equivalent of a drift 'missile' i think.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:33 am PostPost subject:
Ecosse
established user

Yeah, a missile is one that you don't mind hitting walls/other cars in.

In drifting competitions points can be had for getting really close to walls/other cars, so having a missile means you can practice this without killing your good car.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic