Project build

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:18 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

great thoughts man and yeh its just like my work and i used to be really bad for putting a tool randomly down then taking 15 minutes to find it. tidy=awesome.

A list is absolutely a fantastic idea too as order will be something I struggle with most as i dont have that experience of doing it. Thumbs Up Being that structured as you say will really help delivery.

The good part is that there is so many build threads of cars of this ilk so even looking at the amazing mini build threads or bmw ones really helps to know ordering.

strip interior, remove deadening, paint inside etc...

I also plan on (ulp) tracking every single cost taken as I need to buy various tools to do it so want to give myself (and others) a real idea of the ker ching to do it.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

It's a stupid little thing, but something I really found helps is a 50p box of chalk. That way I can update my lists, write reminders, and draw little pictures on the back of the garage door as I'm going. Helps keep the "big picture" in the forefront of your mind, and its deeply satisfying to rub things off at the end of a day's work.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:00 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

stupid little things are the things that help most! methinks i need to buy a load of that blackboard paint for one of my walls. I am fortunate that i have an ancient but strangely shaped garage. Its a triple garage thats wider than a standard garage (if car in garage can open both doors at same time) and 3 cars long (rather than the more useful 3 cars wide). So i have the back 2 slots in garage for build and just have to keep my daily drive out in the cold Smile

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:28 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

If you get past the stripping back to bare shell stage then you deserve a medal. Removing sound deadening is up there with the most infuriating and dull jobs on the planet, whatever they are.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:43 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

yeh seems to be the job that time and time again people hate. Thats where i think will lean on this fine forum for advice on the how to do and what tools to purchase Smile And then some advice on painting just get some random paint or get it done proper from someone etc..

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:44 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

andybell wrote:
yeh seems to be the job that time and time again people hate. Thats where i think will lean on this fine forum for advice on the how to do and what tools to purchase Smile And then some advice on painting just get some random paint or get it done proper from someone etc..

My advice is that's the bit that you pay someone else to do. Once you have a nice shiney caged shell, that's where the fun starts.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:57 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

its the type of job I dont mind doing... if the radio is on, i find it quite relaxing Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:59 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

AK wrote:
its the type of job I dont mind doing... if the radio is on, i find it quite relaxing Laughing

You are strange, very strange Very Happy

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:09 pm PostPost subject:
tastyturbo
established user

HummuH wrote:
AK wrote:

You are strange, very strange Very Happy

I have visions of him with glazed swirly eyes, a scraper in one hand a cup of tea in the other, scraping away giving it spooky la la la la's

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:47 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

Its same with me I don't mind doing it with radio on or something. I bet adam you are the type of person that doesn't mind painting the ornate ceiling as you get to see all the nice progress.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:54 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

Doing a "Dry Build" before the final painting lets you check that everything bolts together and such before you need to weld or move any brackets.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:04 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

scottish scrutineer wrote:
Doing a "Dry Build" before the final painting lets you check that everything bolts together and such before you need to weld or move any brackets.

see - this is why this forum is great. this x 100 Smile

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:02 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

scottish scrutineer wrote:

It also give you some practice at manhandling the big stuff, so when you do it "for real" you keep the number of scrapes and gouges in your nice fresh paint to a minimum!

We did a Lotus Elan project summer before last, and the first time the engine came out it took 5-6 hours to wrestle it out of a hole it was never meant to come out of, clattering everything as it came. By the third time it went in, we had the technique down and could do it in about 45 mins, without even touching the sides (much!). I'm still mildly miffed that after all that, we still managed to scrape some of the new engine paint off fitting the (badly designed) aftermarket tubular manifold.

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:54 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

re:sound deadening - anyone tried using dry ice way to cool it so much it seperates?

Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

referring to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FqkxgcjRQQ looks like fun regardless of whether it works Wink and used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QIyXbK9aA too

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic