Dash Systems

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:48 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

the AIM MSG dashboard £200 off at demon tweeks Smile http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/data-logging-dash-loggers-loggers/aim-motorsport-mxg-dash-logger-with-7-inch-colour-tft-display. only £1740 (ulp)..

So with me looking ahead I think I 100% want the capabilities of the vbox lite that I have but would really like HD well... because? So some interesting options...

VBOX hd £1749 and if you want to be able to see anything in cockpit (predictive timing) you need OLED £354 so that's total cost of £2103

AIM MXL2 £1410 - Now this is same but different as it were. You would purchase the dashboard logger (hence replacing dash you have) and that comes with GPS module. No camera with it so you need the smartycam addon which is £696 so total cost £2106

If you were wanting an additional camera then costs start to vary as for VBOX HD you cannot add an additional camera (yet) but you have to go smartycam route again but don't think you can plug two cameras in without further investment

for the crazy sexy option its £1740 for AIM MXG (which includes gps module) plus smartycam at £696.

To sum up for single camera action kits with predictive lap timing option:
£2103 VBOX HD
£2106 AIM MXL2
£2436 AIM MXG

Cant manage to find out what all important sample rate is for the aim though according to docs 10 times a second.

Whats the hack/slash options I guess something like performance box + go pros then combine together after using race render or something like that?

Last edited by andybell on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:06 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

ah noticed there is a similar thread on facebook discussing this.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:37 pm PostPost subject:
Simmie
user

Adam I have an aim dash for sale!

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 pm PostPost subject:
Dave P
Doune's #1 Fan

Buy DTA and use your phone as a dash display. Thumbs Up

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:34 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

so doing more investigation on dashboard stuff and strangely the MXL2 is only slightly less than the MXS. If you look at the screen as it were mxl2 is 149x66 but top is curved whereas MXS is 105x65 *rectangular* so the surface area for displaying things (bar shift light which is outside of screen) is bigger on the MXS (and sexier).

Dashboard and cameras costing more than base car .... so wrong. Anyway for you AIM users couple of questions that isnt clear from online docs:

how do you donwload stuff as look as though the new ones have Wifi but reading on some forums its not implimented yet. With VBOX its just SD card into system but with aim? You can get a memory module so you can punt it to SD so without that... - from manual looks like you actually connect the whole dashboard to a PC via USB?
    anyone got knockhill track information for it as its not in database
    From looks of it with base kit you also have to purchase another thing to hook into ECU at £162 - but if its a custom ECU guess you cant read from it?

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:58 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

So did more looking into it and if you desire an automated 2 camera system (which i do) then the options are:

VBOX standard video can do 2 camera and if you buy the pro system can go camera overload
VBOX HD is not there yet with 2 cameras but allegedly according to them 'at end of year'
Aim wise you need a data hub to link up another smarty cam and they cost £60. The data hub can 'This Data Hub, a CAN connection multiplier works as an interface between the AIM Logger and its peripheral equipment’s (i.e. LCU-One Lambda Controller, GPS05 Module, TC Hub (thermocouples multiplier), eBox, Memory Key and SmartyCam HD cameras).'

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:33 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

Right so just updating this for myself really as getting close to needing to get one (presuming i get a car heh):

With the VBOX HD V2 coming out 'soon' (at unknown price) for my wants (needs?) then there are two systems providing same functionality which is VBOX and AIM system.

For me its a 'known' system (VBOX) versus more of an unknown system in the AIM. At a high level key differences are:

When doing analysis in VBOX you can see the video but in AIM you cannot - the visualisation is great imho
With AIM you get the super sexy dashboard versus just the OLED system in VBOX

and yeh both friggin expensive but meh people have kept original VBOX systems for years and years.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:43 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

anyone used one of the PLEX dash systems?

http://www.plex-tuning.com/products/plex-sdm-300-dash-display-new

they have a 500 and 500 GPS option too.... aswell as a Syvecs version. Waiting to hear a price
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:14 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

I had the Toucan installed last year and it is very good but I got it as I had no guages other than Rev/speedo and temp. It is very small but by touching any of the small guages they instantly fill the screen. No good though when at speed but retains peek to read everything in the pits. Censors can add up and I think only programmed for a few ecu's

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 pm PostPost subject:
arm10
user

I had the Toucan installed last year and it is very good but I got it as I had no guages other than Rev/speedo and temp. It is very small but by touching any of the small guages they instantly fill the screen. No good though when at speed but retains peek to read everything in the pits. Censors can add up and I think only programmed for a few ecu's

Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:53 am PostPost subject:
e21jason
user

I have installed/modifed motec, Aim and Dash 2 recently

Dash 2 needs another 150 quid to interface to the ecu so that puts it in the same price bracket as an AIM

Also not sure if the scooby gauges go the dash or ecu, if they go to the ecu then they should be able to go to the dash over OBD2 or CAN

If they are direct to the dash you will probably have to change to 5V sensors to work with the dash.

For any thing that works on CAN, unless the manufacture has a template you have to programme all the can stuff in hexadecimal, and have to know all the address from the ecu.

for example motec takes rpm in hz, you have to convert it to hexadecimal send it to the dash and then convert it to RPM, and all can bus values are 2 digit so you have to scale it up as well. So make sure you get a dash that has a template for your ecu.

Plex is good but same money if not more than AIM

I just installed a motec c187 and once you add on the extra inputs, and the dash creator for custom screens i think was close to 4K

But a great piece of kit, but if you have to time to use it and play with the functions your not going fast enough.

J
Z3m Coupe for sale
Fezza 348 Challenge

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:25 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Personally (and I don't have a turbo car...) I'd have a nice large rev counter with programmable shift lights and ideally a peak hold like this, but of decent quality:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-REV-TACHOMETER-BLACK-FACE-SILVER-RIM-STEPPER-GAUGE-WITH-SHIFT-LIGHT-/290612405930?hash=item43a9d966aa:g:0q4AAOxyhS9Tfjqm

And then some pressure and temperature switches at appropriate levels connected to some big, bright 'idiot lights'.

After that, data log the few sensors you care about using torque and a cheap android phone hidden out of sight.

Do any of you really ever flick around the screens on these nice LCD dashes to see what the oil temperature is when you're on a flying lap? Or just set the alarm and then ignore it?

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:39 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

No need to flick on a lap....

Fee's for example... has the following all on 1 page in a central easy to see location (and is configurable)

Revs, speed, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure etc - all have their own LED alarms, screen colour changes to red etc... Bright shift lights along the top.

To me at least, its all about doing away with multiple gauges and having 1 dash that does it all.

The more expensive dash systems (Aim MXL) work on condition based setups too, so if its over X revs or temp it will go to the pre-defined dash display and show more relevant readings... where as pootling down the pit lane you could have it displaying something else.

We use our ECU's for logging and looking back at data....

water temp
oil temp
oil pressure
fuel pressure
exhaust temp
Inlet temp
manifold pressure
brake pressure
diff lockup %

Not all of them you'd be that bothered about seeing on a dash unless it was within a problematic situation.

In my car I have an all singing and dancing ECU but no way of interpreting whats going on real time.... I have a normal dash (rpm, speed in KMh, hot/cold water temp and fuel gauge)... and 1 dual SPA oil temp/pressure gauge.

dash system is a much better option. A luxury yes, but a good one to have.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:59 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

another option could be to pick up a cheap windows table and then *potentially* depending on how it hooks into EUC may be able to USB it. On caterham you could plug into EUC and then run a tool that could show anything that was returning from ECU.

Only challenge may be brightness required from a standard windows tablet type device

Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

btw vbox HD 2 now open for pre-orders only https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_61&product_id=115 £1850 ex vat. Hmm link doesn't work so once it loads click video loggers then vbox hd2

Comes with dual camera and you would need to get an OLED predictive lap timer if you wanted that which is £200. That puts entire package at a hefty £2460 erp.

Im having problems with those pesky cameras (sjcom) so tempted to just bite the bullet and sell performance box/cameras. Got zero footage from weekend Sad

However interestingly about this is that you don't have any front facing camera from inside car facing forward other than right at dashboard - I wonder if they didn't solve the balance issues

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 3 of 4

View previous topic
View next topic