Oulton Park

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:25 am PostPost subject: Oulton Park
Struan Robertson
established user

First visit to Oulton park next week for a trackday and I'm really looking forward to it as it looks a fantastic circuit.

The worry i've got is it's going to be on a hired GSXR600 motrorcycle!Shocked

I've never been on track on a bike and actually just passed my bike test only 3 weeks ago so this should be interesting.

Looking at videos it looks quite a bumpy surface?

Who thinks I'll wreck? Very Happy

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:29 pm PostPost subject:
clarkyboy
established user

Who did you hire the bike through matey?

cannot wait to get back on track in a bike Smile
2008 E92 M3 Coupe interlagos blau

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:39 pm PostPost subject:
Struan Robertson
established user

There's a few rental companies on Outon's website mate. I went for 'Smallboys' as they were recommended.

Arrive and ride and comes with full support, fueling as needed, they will fit wets if needed, suspension adjusted for weight etc. Seems a hassle free way of doing a trackday and no need to take my shiny new road bike down there.

500 maximum indemnity if I wreck it. not bad really considering a new OEM fairing for my own bike would likely cost that.

I've booked up the Niall Mackenzie Superbike school at Knockhill in April, will take my own bike to that though.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:10 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

I got mail to say its been resurfaced and they did other work http://news.motorsportvision.co.uk/6229.aspx

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:48 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

couple of bumpy bits but nothing too bad

bumps on outside of start/finish straight in braking zone
hump over druids
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:40 am PostPost subject:
Struan Robertson
established user

Was a fun day but a bit scary in the damp! Stayed upright all day - bonus!

Don't think I'll be racing these any time soon!

Hired bike was great, immaculate and well prepared, even had a quickshifter.

Would love to try Oulton Park in a car sometime, that extra layer of armour and roll cage makes me feel more secure than on a two wheeled pocket rocket!

Best adrenaline rush so far though on any vehicle Smile

Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:19 am PostPost subject:
Struan Robertson
established user

Still lurking on the forum and am likely to be back in cars shortly, determined to do a season in the mini's at some point. I enjoyed the shot I had of Bruce Taxi mini a year or so ago.....Anyone fancy a 2010 VFR1200FA immaculate road bike as a trade in for mini?....hehe thought not.

But in the meantime I'm finding two wheels is bringing a grin to my face and I have now achieved my goal of racing motorbikes before I hit 50.

Done one track days at Oulton and an instruction day at Cadwell and a failed trackday at Knockhill (lost my bottle and packed in).

Then bug hits so bought an VFR400 for 850 and went straight racing at East Fortune in September in the Junior post classics. Adrenaline rush was immense.

I did the SACU test in the morning then straight out racing in the rain. Fecking nervous wreck. lol. Sunday was dry so managed to get some consistency going. I only passed my test in January and have been riding two wheels less than a year. Was 3 seconds a lap worse than the next guy during the race, but he had a 600.

I finished last of the finishers in each race, although in the wet race 7 people DNF's due to crashing out so I actually finished 15th out of 22.

I had never been on the bike (VFR400) and never been round the circuit so was quite happy being 3 seconds a lap of the slower pace by the end....and I'm racing against FZ600's and the like.

Price for the weekend racing was 190, some fuel a couple of scrubs and some tyre warmers, paddock stands etc and good to go. This compared to my last outing in the Radical SR3 which cost me 2k to get fixed after it. (I like to learn the hard way).

TL;DR Bike racing makes adrenaline flow, adrenaline flowing right down and out of my pants in a brown colour at times I may add. It's cheaper than car racing. Still the urge to race a mini though. This will happen when I wreck my bike

Proverbial pics of me on bikes

Hired CBR600RR at Cadwell

VFR400 racing at East Fortune

And just getting her home after purchase.

Josh Brooks asking me for some tips at Cadwell test day. He was lapping Cadwell 32 seconds a lap faster. Tip was to stop doing burnouts Smile. Actually really nice fellow and took time out for me without me even asking.
Cadwell instructed trackday.

Blagged a passenger ride in this the day before bike day. Cadwell is a great circuit.

Missus on the VFR1200

I've got too many bikes....must stay of ebay. :-/

Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:05 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Laughing

Some boy Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:01 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Bigger balls than me, I got my bike license in August and bought a Street Triple and I've only really recently started pushing on on the road a little and gaining faith in the grip that's there. Sod jumping on track 3 weeks after passing!

New bike looks good! I didnt realise you could pick up 400s for so little!

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 am PostPost subject:
Langy

alistairolsen wrote:
New bike looks good! I didnt realise you could pick up 400s for so little!

There's a race prepped vfr400 on ebay at the moment for 600, i've been tempted a few times now but i've already got 5 bikes i barely use! Embarassed

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic