J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next   Page 15 of 16

Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:36 pm PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Awesome result, car looks amazing in photos!!!!

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

love the pic of the splitter firmly on the ground LOL
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Thanks Steven,

Haha yeh Adam, that might be slowing me down lol! I’m thinking I might change from a 18mm bit of ply to a 12mm bit, I wasn’t sure about flex but the frame for the splitter is fairly decent so I can’t see it flexing much more if any than the current one

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Oh really whos that?

Anyway, since the last time it was out the focus has gained some weight, about 30kg's not a massive amount but im putting it down to all the aero stuff! Going by current class B regs iv got nearly 100kg to play with if i stay at this power level! So i took one look at the car and decided there is weight inside it that can go!

List so far is:
Sound spray in the passanger side floor and foot well.
Both drivers and pas original seat mounts.
The standard full size dash
Interiors loom needs trimmed again and tidyed up
Dash support bar can be trimmed to loose some beef

So was on ebay and bought a 2nd dash. was quite surprised at the weight of it, so chopped it down to a half dash like so:

But that still weighed in at 5kg due to having the heater vents on the underside moulded into it, now i could of went and trimmed that all away but i decided to give carbon fiber moulding a go!

So a few calls and i was pointing in the right direction.

first block up what you dont need:

then fillet putty the gaps where resin will seep down into

cover in tooling gel coat

chopped strand fiberglass

let it cure and pull out the dash, one rough mold

clean and wax

lay up carbon trying to keep the weve nice! (this part was so hard!)

one carbon dash needing cleaned up

thick gel coat added to wet sand flat to remove the fake leather look that had transfered to the mold and then to the dash

and then a wet sand to make it flat & matt so hopefully it doesnt shine on the window!

No im no pro and this isnt perfect but im more than happy with how this turned out for just wet laying, no vaccum bagging or anything fancy, i think i will make one using a pals vaccum bag to see if i can improve it a bit but if not this one will do! currently needs a final trim but its coming in at 1.7kg but i think that will go down to 1.3kg once iv trimmed it!

hopefully compared to the full size dash that currently in there and the trimmed dash bar i think il loose about 8kg, which given how bare the car currently is thats not a bad weight saving imo!

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:04 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

How many hours in that?

Been watching the videos of CF tutorials and tempted but it’s the hours and expense in buying the vacumn/ resin infused kit which I suspect would sit on the shelf..

I desperately want a CF big diffuser Smile

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:44 am PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

Loving your work! I've messed around with small structural stuff but always chickened out of doing anything that size. Good result Smile
Duratec in Detail

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:34 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Hours is the main thing! It’s crazy how long it all starts to add up, Iv no doubt that is the bulk of the cost in buying carbon parts,

There is currently about £200ish worth of material in what you see there, like you said the vaccum pumps are pricey,

As for hours, I started that dash 2 weeks ago, from trimming the dash, the layup of the mold and clean up, then the lay up for the dash I’v probably spend about 12 hours working on it, with easily 50 hours worth of drying time between various stages, a repair in the tooling gel coat is 8 hours before you can sand it for example and that could just be something tiny.

Like I said it’s far from perfect but it’s hopefully going to save some weight and that was it’s main purpose, in 2/3 weeks time I get to play with a vaccum pump set up and it will be interesting to see how much lighter having full control over the amount of resin makes!

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:05 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So a few weeks since i last updated this, to be honest not alot has been happning.

First things was the car developed a starting issue, was running fine and then i shut it off and it never started again!

Process of elemination checking my wiering and a quick chat to matty at MB garage it was clear i wasnt getting a spark, map checked out to be fine ( i had been playing about with some settings the previous day) so it was put down to not getting a signel from crank/cam - i had a new cam sensor so fired that in and no change. Went downstairs and found the issue, crank sensor was loose and in turn was damaged.

Soild engine mounts for you!

So with that sorted it was time to make the most of the last hot weather we are going to have for a while!

So front arch clean up was due!

I hate removing all the old crud thats built up.

Although being honest the fronts were not as bad as i was expecting!

So were buffed back and, zink primed and new seam sealler applyed

Then bilt hamber 2 pack applyed to the front

Gave the wing top area a spray of blue as its on show and i like the blue bay!

Next up was the shocks

socks had done there job nicely!

Very little needing to be cleaned so it was a wipe down , spray with moly and grease up

Installed back in and looking alot fresher under there now!

Next up is another little side project, i should prob finish the carbon dash first but i fanced trying to make a airbox for my filter to try keep the heat out off the intake!

So wanted it to fit the bay nicely so it was fill a bag up with expandy foam

And cutting to a rough shape is as far as iv got

Will hopefully get the body filler on it next time home and get a mold made!

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So WRC spain last time home eat all my time and mainly energy to spend on the focus, but this time at home iv found a litte motivation to get some work done.

First things first a little pressy to myself!

Its clear after veiwing logs from the ECU, that data really does help you improve, now be that engine side of things or lap timing.

Im hoping with a bit of guidance from adam that i can quickly find missing time, or at least know where the car CAN go faster and aim to get that perfect lap strung together! The car 100% has a 54 second lap in it!

so this near new racelogic was picked up at a good price and came with the GPS aerial, might not need it but i do have a heated screen so it wont do it any harm!

So, back to the focus!

As previous the carbon dash was made, i mock fitted it and noticed right away the gloss finish was a nightmare, reflected right onto the window!

Coming from a full flocked dash that doesnt reflect a bit this wasnt going to work!

Tryed satin clear coat... wasnt much better, so have now went matt clear coat! much better, might still have to spray the first 4-5" matt black as its stil lgot a little reflection thats annoying me but im going to wait untill im in the car and see how it is!

So since the dash was coming out iv cut back the loom again!

honestly this is not fun one bit!

chop chop chop!

and once i tested the car stil started, loom wrapped it all up

Still have to wire in the DBW set up so hence the fuse box and pedals look ing a little messy, thats not finished yet!

Also iv moved my switchs down to beside the seat, since the mounting point for them is no longer there on the standard dash!

Needs a hover and a lick of paint i know!

Have spoke with Calum haynes fab and next time home he is going to make me up some dash supports and mod the intake manifold to fit the mk2 focus throttle body! Oh and on that note im now using a mk1 Audi TT 225 throttle pedal as the focus ones did some weird things with CANBUS that would just be a pain to get the syvecs to work with !
Got the H Bridge driver for the syvecs ordered to power the DBW TB

didnt come with any wiring diagrams so had to open it up and see what colour wires did what!

And last little update is the big wotsit airbox is starting to take shape , only 15kg of filler in it so far ! haha Will hopefully get that finished off next time at home as well and get a mold of it done!

Thanks!

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:38 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

mini update.

Brakes, if you remeber back pre racing i noticed the dust seals on both calipers had seen better days, a few had split , a few wernt far away at all from splitting.
The caliper i have isnt a "racing" caliper, more a fast road caliper, but seeing as i do sprints and hillclimbs with the car its suited fine for my use and hasnt been a issue, so because of this they dont have "high temp" seals in the from factory, so decided to treat the calipers to some new high temp spec seals and dust covers, richard at north east brakes sorted me out with a next day turn around. They were a little faded colour wise as well so gave the yellow a mask up and gave them a quick blast with satan black to freshen them up, baked in the over for 15 mins! (the joys of living on your own! lol)

Next i got my front cross member back from customised coatings, was going to go black, but decided just to let my hair down and go floro yellow! This was much needed as the road salt had started to eat my poor previous rattle can job!

think it looks the part!

Next was to drop the template off to Calum Haynes fab to sort up the dash mounts, and also get him to make my mk2 RS throttle body fit my intake !

Fair size diffrence!

And in preperation for that i made up my "looms" for the DBW set up, will wait untill i have the pedal mounted before wrapping that loom and then finaly pinning it all into the ECU, realisticly not going to be untill jan now!

Thanks!

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:18 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

good stuff and good to see you up in the middle of nowhere on a tuesday morning Laughing

Random!

Reminds me I need to update my threads!

Old throttle - what on earth has happened to the leading edge of the inlet? Looks really pitted/damaged
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

haha yeh wasnt expecting to see you there! haha really is the middle of nowhere! phone me next time! would of saved me the drive haha!

its a welded lip, the standard throttle body has an elbow that slides over it and bolts on, i dont have that anymore so to save boost hoses flying off i got a little bead welded on, does look a tad rough but never had a boost hose fly off

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:58 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

This is just a little update for side project "blob" , aka the carbon airbox, having got this far i know there is an easier way to do this, this has honestly swallowed up a scary amount of hours, im not sure if thats due to the way iv done it or the lack of skill i have haha!

anyway a little lapse of what iv done so far!

i wanted the airbox to make the most of the space, and it will be ducket from the headlight area, hopefully be made from carbon and stop the heat soak from the hot engine bay, i did want to try get a V1 WRC airbox that would use the hood vent on the pas side as its cool air intake but they are fairly rare it would seem! so making my own was the only way i could see forward.

So fill a bag of expandy foam to take a shape of the place it will sit, this was attempt 2 after finding out you cant just fill a bag up and expect it to set! i think it must use air to harden, so yeh the first attempt went in the bin and has probs still not set lol!

chop to a rough shape

slap a bit of filler on it

then it lituraly was hours of sanding to try get this as smooth as possible

and iv just gave it a lick of colour and have now started clear coating it!

il need to build up 4-6 heavy coats , flatten and polish , then it should hopefully be ready to make a mold of it! , but as im sure your all aware the temps have dropped now, and my garage heater went pop yesterday so i have no way to heat the garage up to 15oC to where the resins ect work at!

hopefully this works out as well as i think it should! lol if not il just delete this post haha!!

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:48 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So got the front end suspention back on, New brake lines ect as well just to jazz it all up! will be intresting to see how this lasts compared to the waxoil stone chip stuff!

before:

After:

Also got the DBW throttle peddel mounted up, will now need to wire it in ! Fitted a stop to the peddel as well, dont want to snap this one!

And this next part shows what can go wrong when working with fiberglass/moulds ect

So was ready to apply the gel coat to the plug

That was done drama free -

Layer up the fiberglass

Wait for it to dry and repeat for the bottom half!

One complete split mould!

I go to seperate it and boom! its locked Sad could i get it apart! could i F^$%!

Ended up chopping it in half so had two halfs like this!

After hours of chipping away!

A few holes due to me being a bit heavy with the chizzle !

So dug out all the cracked bits and applyed fiberglass to the back

So il now have to re apply the gel coat and wet sand down

Then it will be wet sand the whole thing, polish it back up and then wax wax and wax!

It was clearly a release issue with the plug, im not sure if the laqure failed or what but that has basicly chewed up 2 whole days just getting to that stage from the point it should of been ready to use as a mould and make the airbox!

Its going to take a good day or 2 to re prep the mould now so i think the airbox will half to wait untill im home before i can try make it now, that said temp needs to be about 15oC and the garage is currently 4oC ! so i might just wait untill spring lol!

Thanks!

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 pm PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

ooof Sad

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next   Page 15 of 16

View previous topic
View next topic