J5 WTF - Focus focus Focus

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16   Page 16 of 16

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:43 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Ooof indeed Sad

its all repaired now, its not going to be super pretty due to this now but its going to be a function over form part i think!

Will polish it up and get the wax built up on it next time home!

Throttle body next!

going from the standard 55mm body to a 68mm body should be a nice gain in its self!

Back to calum haynes and he chopped the old TB plate off and welded on a nice new one for me! ( i make it sound so much easier that it is haha!)

And on the back of that i got the Throttle pedal wired up and working fine! so just the throttle body to do now! Need to wire in the Syvecs H Bridge as well so will need to have a little look at how that plugs into the ECU and talks!

Thanks Smile

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:26 pm PostPost subject:
James B
established user

Awesome work as always. The quality of that welding is superb!!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:08 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Thanks, Yeh have you ever tried welding alloy? Its an art in its self!

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:33 am PostPost subject:
James B
established user

Jackstrath wrote:
Thanks, Yeh have you ever tried welding alloy? Its an art in its self!

I have decided that I won't even try welding. I can hardly draw a straight line with a pencil so an arc welder will not result in any better an outcome! Laughing

However i know who i'll be tapping up if I ever find myself in need of a nice line of alloy weld for something that will be visible! Wink

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:27 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Well another 2 weeks at home has flown by! and tbh, i thought id have more to update!
I have mainly been spending time cleaning the bmw, getting it tidy'd up for selling so thats swallowed most of my time!

Have been doing bits and bobs on the focus, first was to get the injectors cleaned, no issues just i had them out and thought it was worth while doing! £90 later all cleaned and tip top!

Installed the intake manifold and new throttle body, also gave the intake a little polish up as it was looking kinda grim!

wired up the pedal and tb and gave caibrating it a shot in syvecs, iv got them talking to the ecu but i cant get it to work, its over my head so il be getting matty at MB to have a look for me!
Also Tidyed up the wiering in the engine bay, it looks slighty better but i really want to do the whole lot again !

But i cant do that as im currnetly waiting on my new rad coming, standard one wasnt any issues but it was 15 years old so prob only a matter of time before it went pop!

current engine bay photo!

Thanks!

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So with the lack off updates yesterday afternoon i decided to see if the mould was going to work or not for the airbox!

Iv came to the conclusion that iv made the mold in such a way that it locks, its a bit of a bummer but as i knew thats what was happning i went thin on the layers, 2 CF for the top half and 2 Fiberglass for the bottom half (really didnt think the bottom half was going to release so didnt see the point in wasting carbon here)

Didnt take any photos of it in the mould but it did lock in as i thought it would! royal pain to come out but i got both bits out and trimmed up

Im happy enought with the results, needs some final trimming and some fit and finish (some dry patches , think i really need a pump tbh) But its a airbox, should protect the filter from heat soak. I will probably give it a go end of summer again with lessons learnt and see if i can improve!

PS - thats my mock filter before anyone gets upset lol

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:29 pm PostPost subject:
Dunbar Tune
established user

AWSOME car mate.... excellent workmanship

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:53 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Thanks Smile i try! haha

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:44 am PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So, as im sure everyone knows this car has been around a good while now, it actually just passed 10 years in my ownership back on the 13th of march there. Alot has changed since then haha!

but 1 thing that hadnt changed was the coolant rad, belive it or not it was still leak tight and doing its job! I think it and the starter motor are the only 2 things i havnt replaced in the engine bay haha!

So for the cars 10 year in my ownership birthday i treated it to a new custom made rad, specs are nearly physically the same size bar its a bit thicker, up from 25mm to 40mm, nothing huge but then i hadnt been suffering coolant issues as of yet so with space at a premium it made sence to keep it sensible. still = about 50% larger by volume, and a propper motorsport core so it should out perform the standard rad.

Untitled by Jack Strathdee, on Flickr

I have some ducting to do to both intercooler and rad to try help push the air though both the rad's.
I was chasing my tail for a few days, changing over from a blow to a suck Spal fan now, i must of shorted something out as i couldnt get the fan to work, good few hours later and working logically through it all and i had it up and running again but it was a bit of a head fry!

Hopefully get the DBW mapped in next time home and might mange to make cadwell park yet for time attack! although as per im fast running out of time! Sad

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Right update!

Been trying my hardest to get the car up to speed and ready for this Cadwell Time attack date that i had planned in May!

101 things to do and what feels like only a few days to get them done!

First things first was the DBW set up, i had attempted to map it in but i couldnt for the life of me get it working. I was a bitty annoyed but its not a simple process, but the fact that i was running out of days and i still didnt know if my wiering and componants were working was stressing me out!
I got alot of other jobs finished off, the dash put in place for example, wired all the digi gauges back up ect ect.
One night with matty at MB he spent about a hour fiddling through more settings than i remember changing on the syvecs and boom! I had a working throttle! Massive pressure release! with that sorted it was back offshore for another trip and another 2 weeks where i couldnt touch the car!

But got home this month and got the car out to the rolling road in the hunt for some low down torque!

Good few hours later i had picked up 30ftlbs down low, not a massive amount but hopefully enough to help me get going just a bit sharper! The new throttle body (13mm bigger) has certianlly helped the engine, im not going to lie i didnt really expect it to make much odds but it clearly has!

One thing that was noted (the syvecs doing its job here!) was the fuel pressure target was just ever so slightly under tolarance, nothing massive or dangerous but enough for the syvecs to flag it, matty changed the tolarances ever so slightly and it was never a issue again but it made me raise an eyebrow and then i remembered i hadnt fitted the new 2nd fuel filter Sad

P'ed off tbh as i had just got my injectors cleaned, bit backwards changing the filter after running the cleaned injectors on the old filter!

New one installed, tables adjusted back... lession learned!

After the dyno day i did a full nut and bolt check on the car, and noticed a bit of CV grease on the subframe.... boot looked ok, so shaft removed for a closer look, no pin holes but it does look like its been leaking out of the CV boot between the two faces!

Cleaned up, re packed and reinstalled!

That was pretty much my 2 weeks at home up and i had now started to repack for going away racing (entry was officially in) i get home only a few days before i leave to drive down south so had to look out all my gear for packing right into the hire van!

I actually went away with work again and got home for a few days between trips, took this time to make up a bit of an air dam, last years racing seen some very high intakes and im 99% sure it was because the air was going over the intercooler and not thought it! so just a quick half hour in the garrage i had this knocked up, not pretty, and i still want to get the ducts welded onto the intercooler but this will hopefully force a bit more air thought the intercooler! (iv ordered a trim edge to close up the gap)

So with that done thats us up todate currently!

If your near cadwell park and have no plans for monday the 6th of may, id say come down and have a watch! il be in the focus pretending i know what im doing! and i dont bite Smile

Thanks!

Tue May 07, 2019 12:16 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Cadwell! Aye- ticked that off the list !

So entered in the RWYB class for Time attack! big day of learning the track, few local guys there as well which is what i was scared off at first tbh, there is so much unsighted corners that track knowlage is key, youll see that from my vids that i really didnt know where to break, turn in ect ect , looks like a total newbe out on track haha!

So…. Time Attack – Cadwell Park,
Looking really forward to doing this track for a long time, got up Sunday, sun was out, I though awesome, question was how long would it last!
Line up for warm up – this was to see if the 100 laps of Cadwell on project cars were worth anything! They kinda were but one thing with Cadwell is the elevation change that you just can simulate! Its nuts!
In hold, and first things first – Oil, oil had been spilled, but it was dry. No maximum attack from me, just wanted to potter around and see where the track went (few unsighted corners to get used to!) All was going well until I decided to pick up the pace 4th lap in…. and boom famous 3rd gear combined with a miss shift, got away with it this time, think the clutch took the brunt of the incident. Session was then cut short to try make up time, Scary times as per the clip below! Time: 2:00.3 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZytJAjNSYg
Confidence knocked and tbh at his point not entirely sure what I had done to the car, few checks, logs on ECU confirmed I never went over 8150rpm, I was relived and set my sights on a better practice run, and tbh it was a flop, more oil down and just as we waited to go on the heavens opened up! Oil, rain, slicks and a car set up really stiff for the aero, and 3rd gear being temperamental on the up change (damaged dog ring) I was doomed from the start, wasn’t really going to post this clip but it gives you an idea of how much work I had to put in! Also cut short again, time improved to put me P3 Time: 1:56.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEnykSY6GK0
So happy that the times had dropped, disappointed in the red flags and session cut short, but everyone else was in the same boat. On to Qualifying and a new tactic was born, just send it haha! Not wanting to risk not getting a lap in I just decide id go out and get a bit of space and just go for it! All was going well set a decent time considering it was still raining and still oil on the track, after a flyer I did a cool down lap and then decided to go for it again, made a bit of a mess coming though the trees and due to how slippy it was I missed a gear and then stalled the car, bumped it but as you’ll see in the clip the car wasn’t happy, I think the syvecs got a little confused when bump started it and long story short I had to retire (see clip below) Luckily I had set a P1 time of 1:52.7 but it was now obvious it was going to be between myself, Eric & Steven in there Evo’s and Kevin in a R35 GTR (tall order for the focus!)
https://youtu.be/1zXkYACjkao
Final Report to follow!

Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

You could use slicks in the RWYB class?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

no road tyres only! - by slicks i mean r888's and not the rainsports lol! poor word choice!

Wed May 08, 2019 7:12 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

So Final! As you can figure, the day wasn’t exactly going to plan (bar the P1 in Qualifying and the car still being in 1 bit!)
I was disappointed tbh with my performance, the car was ok, but not perfect, few things needing tweeked but il get there, and myself, I was shocked looking back at these videos tbh! Not sure what I was thinking!
So game plan was to be clean, I had been rushing everything all day, and it just wasn’t working, I had to calm down, take my time and just try be nice and smooth and hope I pick the right breaking points and lines and sting something good together! It was still wet, starting to dry up although no dry line and still oil on the racing line. Went with the same tactic as before, get the car out, scrub the tyres and do a fast lap, sadly I took a bit of time to find some track space (as I had now learnt this was a massive part of getting a good quick lap in) Eric holms was on top, I was over 5 seconds behind with 4 laps to go (didn’t know this while out!)
I set my self-up for a fast lap but had to abort it mid run due to Eric spinning off on the slippy surface, still kept the flow going as I had the track to my self and knocked a second off Eric, cool down lap, then 2 laps to go…. Composed I went for it again, but sadly caught a Clio right at the last 3 corners of the track, lap was much better, 1.3 seconds now behind Eric, I had nothing to loose and knew time wouldn’t be on my side so I just went for it again, Clean track, grip! (sort off!) (fastest lap included a wee slide though corner 2!) everything was working! Had clocked a civic a head, but thought id not have another chance so had to keep going, got to the same place as I caught the Clio the lap before but had no option but just to keep my cool and see what happened, struggled with traction out the corner in my haste and then mis-shifted into 5th… **** my life, then i seen the checked flag was out! That was it!
Looked at the lap timer, I thought it said 1:59.something , round the first corner and some guy in a black bmw was jumping up and down pointing at me ( I just gave him a thumbs up ! haha!) but then it clicked! It was a 1.49.4 and the fastest lap in the final! Delighted!
Confirmed when I seen my dad and he and jon were giving it the big thumbs up! Over the moon I was able to pick away at the grip, with a damaged box, and with just 17 laps of Cadwell under my belt!
2 flying laps on board!

https://youtu.be/_J8yiMcTRwQ

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:03 pm PostPost subject:
Jackstrath
user

Last 6 weeks update, Nothing super exciting just expensive !

Clutch - the miss shift from 2nd back to 1st had nearly finished the clutch, it was due a replacement anyway so it prob saved the engine tbh!

I wasn't overly concerned about it or the condition tbh. It had been in the car since the engine build back in 2013 and considering what its dealing with i was more than happy with how it was.

New material measured in at 7.9mm this was down to 7.25mm, not a massive drop but i measured about .6mm before it was flush with the rivets. What was interesting to see was some of the pad had broke away from the surface. Not sure what causes that. Any ideas?

If i was to hazard a guess on mileage id say around 3500 miles.

Next - Gearbox, Well this was overdue, i knew it was coming.

So the gearbox, it was needing some much-needed TLC , 4 years since the last time 3rd gear exploded. About 2500 miles of mainly track and dyno time, several oil changes and lots of swearing and mishitting for good measure.

So without naming names, i was reluctant to sending the gearbox back to the original place that built it for me new, i always thought the box just wasn't quite right, i mean it wasn't bad just wasn't what you'd expect a £6500 box to shift like. So though talking to various people and the man himself i decided to take the box down to Andrew and his team at Automek.

Explained the things that was going wrong, why i wasn't happy and what i thought was wrong with it. It was decided that the whole box be stripped and fully inspected to see what was wrong and going on, lots of detailed messages and photos of what Andrew had found when opening up the box (it wasn't good!) Loads of damage to the drive plates, few chipped/destroyed dog gears and drive plate dogs it wasn't a pretty picture.

Box was fully shimmed before and after and there was a good bit of shimming needed to bring the box into spec, result of bearings settling or shimmed wrong first time around i dont want to say.

Anyway, all back together and full bill of health with everything replaced that was needed.

Some solid advice and a switch of oil is also happening so i really can't wait to get the box back in and try it out!

All that was replaced.

Chewed

Chewed

Fresh!

Cooling. So, the focus has never really had much of a temp issue, or at least one that Iv noticed.

The car is mainly used in sprints, no lap after lap racing, but more recently formats have changed and Iv also had a dabble into the time attack series.

Both changes seen the car doing more than a few laps “on it” and although I’ve never had a issue, the temps are all logged on syvecs and when looking back through the data you can’t help but think’

Change to a 15 min session where your picking between traffic and track space, having to cool the car is a bit of a pain!
This became apparent at Cadwell Park, and I was never off low boost 😳.

So first alarm bell was intake temp, the intake temp started to get silly, and it was put down to the new front end having to much routed for the air to travel - air always travels the easiest route and if that’s over and around a rad, rather than through it, that’s exactly what it will do! Off course no air flow though a rad - no cooling effect 🤦‍♂️.

So to combat that a blank was fitted to force air though the intercooler - that seemed to work! Happy days.

But with the longer track time, the water and oil temps were not only getting hotter, they would take ages to recover and that’s a tell tail that the rads arnt working!

Looking at the front set up it’s clear with little to no shrouding of the rads the air just went over rather than through.

So this is all testing phase (hope to have data to back up my trials) basically shrouding off as much as I can forcing the air through rads and as you can see air coming in the top grill would just go over the top of them. Hopefully my home made grill/shroud combo would force air through the rads.

I have a little bit to box in the bottom of the intercooler as well but I’m feeling positive

All the rads!

Path over the top

And boxed in

Thanks !

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16   Page 16 of 16

View previous topic
View next topic