Knockhill passing on the left- seems daft & dangerous to

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:22 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

yesterday a clio wouldnt move over for a few laps but did eventually
back in the pits driver comes up saying that was a great race we had
i was 7s a lap slower whilst behind him
race , right oh!
Rolling Eyes

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 pm PostPost subject:
jockthedog
established user

chorlton wrote:
race , right oh!
Rolling Eyes

To him it certainly was, although he could have at least pulled across and kept the foot in, to see if you had him on the straights. Otherwise you might just have come out the pits right behind him and be exactly as fast as him, in his head at least.
I am guilty on occasion of not jumping out of the way of someone that I know is faster. Faster, but not by too much. It's fun playing keep-away, even if you're crap at it Smile
Just for a few corners mind, not lap after lap Smile

I had to pass someone at the bottom of duffus at the last trackday. If I had braked to stay behind him I'd have lost the back end, so I had to swish past as he was hung out on the right.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:54 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

It was good watching their lines, a couple of mino lock ups, taking too much kerb & power over steering trying to go faster rather than pull aside.

Exactly what I did in front of you in the Clio last year Laughing

I didn't have a vast amount more on the straights on Sunday in David's Cayman but my God it made up for it everywhere else Shocked

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:26 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

jockthedog wrote:
chorlton wrote:
race , right oh!
Rolling Eyes

To him it certainly was, although he could have at least pulled across and kept the foot in, to see if you had him on the straights. Otherwise you might just have come out the pits right behind him and be exactly as fast as him, in his head at least.
I am guilty on occasion of not jumping out of the way of someone that I know is faster. Faster, but not by too much. It's fun playing keep-away, even if you're crap at it Smile
Just for a few corners mind, not lap after lap Smile

I had to pass someone at the bottom of duffus at the last trackday. If I had braked to stay behind him I'd have lost the back end, so I had to swish past as he was hung out on the right.

No one catches up to you on a track day by driving more slowly, if there is a car filling your mirrors, it's faster - no escaping that.

The only thing more annoying than someone not pulling over is someone pulling over and keeping it pinned, lap times aren't directly proportional to straight line speed sadly.

If anyone wants a 'race' then pull in, lift slightly and get straight back out on the line into the braking zone and then see if you can keep up, much better for all involved and one learns far more by watching someone else's lines than making a hash of staying ahead of them

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

^^ Smile but yeh failing all of that as others have said back off and relax for a lap Smile

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:44 pm PostPost subject:
jockthedog
established user

alistairolsen wrote:

No one catches up to you on a track day by driving more slowly, if there is a car filling your mirrors, it's faster - no escaping that.

Not quite. If you are flat out, then yes, someone catching you is def faster.
But traffic can hold you up and others can catch up, even if they are slower than you.

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 pm PostPost subject:
Tedswagon
user

jockthedog wrote:
alistairolsen wrote:

Not quite. If you are flat out, then yes, someone catching you is def faster.
But traffic can hold you up and others can catch up, even if they are slower than you.

Totally agree - folk complain a lot on here about other people not moving over cause they are faster in corners and slower on the straights, but as its be said before - its not a race its a track day. If you are frustrated behind the wheel you are not safe on the track - get off cool down and stay safe.

In traffic I am constantly harassed by the person behind me - think its the 318i badge That said it is obviously better on here than any HH day. Its the same when I am behind / trying to pass people with more expensive cars, it can be frustrating always give it a couple of laps - still behind them - take it for a cool down lap or two.

I have had so many people say after some laps - "whats in that, I couldn't shake you off" yeah we've all been there.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:36 pm PostPost subject:
AllyEP3

Maybe you guys can give me some advice on something, thought i may as well put it in here as its overtaking related. Something I have a bit of trouble with at times when letting the bigger guys past on the straights is that if it's a busy session i feel as though i dont have enough room to get back across onto the racing line before the corner as there is so much stuff coming past and I'm worried about just completely cutting someone up when I'm pulling back accross.

I know it's my fault and i should probably give myself more time to get back into the correct line earlier but i just wondered you guys would do if you find yourself in a similar situation?

Apart this I'm really enjoying the trackdays, I've only done 3 so still getting a hang of things but this just sat in my mind and I always though i must be doing something wrong here.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:44 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

just pull out Smile

its your track as much as theres Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:22 pm PostPost subject:
AllyEP3

Thanks Adam! Yeah I guess I probably just need to pull out with more conviction, I'd found myself in a slightly tricky spot a couple of times.I'll get the hang of this eventually! Smile

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:45 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

to be honest you will always get into tricky spots at times as you try to be polite and if they are polite ends up with indecision Smile For me its not about fault its just two people trying to predict what each other are going to do and both guessing wrong.

I think of it as walking down a street you try and avoid someone and they do too and you do that 'sorry' dance as you shift left to right.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 am PostPost subject:
AllyEP3

You're absolutely right Andy, I'm sure once I get a bit more experience too I'll improve. Hopefully.... Wink

Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:50 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

AllyEP3 wrote:
You're absolutely right Andy, I'm sure once I get a bit more experience too I'll improve. Hopefully.... Wink

That's the whole point of a track day - to get the experience.

Just enjoy yourself and build up your confidence.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:14 pm PostPost subject:
-Jamie-
user

if I'm letting a few cars past while on a cooldown etc and need to move back across i always tend to indicate so people know, Maybe not needed but at least i have shown what i intend to do, Not everyone pays as much attention as they should on TD's

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Track Days Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5

View previous topic
View next topic