Mountain Biking

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next   Page 1 of 11

Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 pm PostPost subject: Mountain Biking
AK
Site Admin

I've recently started getting back into biking, mostly off road. I did a fair bit when I was younger but didnt keep it up once I left uni etc etc.

Some general questions...

I'm doing mostly off-road stuff... a bit of everything forest, grass, rock... climbs, downhill... with a mid range hardtail bike. Its got ok front shocks with lockout.

Would it be a much better idea to get a decent full suspension bike? I know what I think.... but I'm trying to talk my self out of buying another bike just after buying this one about 3 months ago Laughing All the full suspension bikes I've tried have been heavy and frankly shite. They were prob low end, and not setup for my weight most likely... far to bouncy and soft.

Shoes - off-road shoes.... whats the craic? Are they really needed.... what do they offer that a decent pair of lightweight but stiff/supportive walking shoes dont Very Happy

Aberdeen Folk - Where's good to ride locally?

I cycled up/around Bennachie when I was 15 or so, and will do that again once the weather is a bit better Very Happy

Kirkhill, Countesswells, Foggieton....
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 pm PostPost subject:
Andy10v

How much do you want to spend? Laughing (new or used?)

Dont get a cheap full sus, (less than 1500ish I would rather have a decent hardtail).

You could try and get to a demo day near you, or organize a demo bike. You can hire bikes at some trail centres to give you an idea of handling.

Suspension setup makes a hug difference, set to static sag of 20-30% as a base point, closer to 30 for downhill, closer to 20 if you like a tighter XC style. Generally you want the suspension to remain active when climbing to keep traction.

You will need to spend a lot more money on a full suspension bike to get it to weigh the same as a hardtail.

Full suspension makes life so much easier on rough stuff, you can carry so much speed/blast stuff. I dont find them as "fun" to mess about on though, hardtail is nicer to "pop" off stuff, lighter, more chuckable.

Is it going to just be general mountain biking everywhere do you want to be able to do downhill, massive drops etc?

Single pivot bikes (eg orange 5) are simple, cheap to maintain but much cruder suspension compared to multi link setups. Single pivot bikes tend to pedal bob, brake jack etc.

Really need to get a shot of one to see if it suits you.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I'm not doing anything too extreme just now.... no massive drops, just banging down paths with tree stumps/roots/rocks....

Noticed a big difference in traction between my friends Orange and mine whilst trying to climb up icy forrest trails Laughing

Just read a couple of reviews/articles and they all suggest the same as you said. Avoid a full susp bike thats cheap!
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:30 pm PostPost subject:
Andy10v

If you are going to do it, I would do it once and right, a real cheap one will be shit, and an entry level one you will just want to upgrade brake, wheels etc.

I used to buy something with a good frame, and then upgrade the components as I broke them, more expensive long term, but the only way on a tight budget.

Something like a Trek Fuel EX8 is about 2000, and is a decent general MTB.

I would get something with a decent backup/warranty, you dont want to wait for 2 months for a warranty swingarm.

If you have a decent local bike shop its worth paying them a visit.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 am PostPost subject:
clarkyboy
established user

Adam,

Its worth nipping out to see Pedal Power at inverurie, tell Lindsy (little chap who owns the place) what you are looking for, he will look after you, he get all the major brands, giant trek etc.

As for Shoes, i use flats not clip ins, but DH/MTB specific are a must, the sole is so much harder, a, you lont lose so much energy in the climbs and B, impacts are far nicer to deal with!

Locally there are so many trails,

as you have mentioned kirkhill etc, I generally do (before my accident) around the bennachie area, so Millstone, pitfichie, Gordon way, Bennachie it self, also there is Hill of fair near echt, Scolty over at banchory and if you want to go further afeild, glenlivet trailcentre at tomintoul, murray monster trail at fochabers, Laggan, golspie.

you will get hooked very quickly!

as for a bike, i would search on pinkbike, gumtree etc, there are alot of deals to be had on sh1t hot used bikes that are only a season old with plenty of upgrades vs waht yiou will get new, and you will find for your budget you cna get a year old bike that would have retailed at near on double and has had a few hundred spent on it.

For me a must is a Rock Shox dropper seat post, a rear shock with pro-pedal (most have this now anyway, fox float RP2 etc.) wire bead tyres, such as maxxis high roller 2's in maxpro 70a compound, i wouldnt bother with XC lightweight tyres up here, the granite will shred them, once you move to tougher ones you wont punture again!

A Giant reign is a good place to start, ideally one that somone has fitted decent brakes too, personally i would stay away from any of the lower level Avid brakes, i think they are crap, but coming from Hope's thats personal preference.

As Andy has said there is alot to be said for a good hardtail, it will also teach to ride a bit better too, they ar not so forgiving!

HTH
2008 E92 M3 Coupe interlagos blau

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:14 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

If you go down to Glentress you can hire bikes - hardtail and full sus.

I only ever had a hardtail and was doing all the trail centers but after I hired a full sus at Glentress I did get a full sus 29er. Between the big wheels and suspension it just goes over everything.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 pm PostPost subject:
clarkyboy
established user

I actually think Glenlivet do hire too now?

trek's i think. probably the best way to figure out what you want without buying a bike.
2008 E92 M3 Coupe interlagos blau

Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:18 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

yup, there are big savings on bikes with pinkbike.

I think the full susp bikes I tried must have been entry level. I cant even remember who's they were but it was most likely ~10years ago
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:44 pm PostPost subject:
Andy10v

I would echo the learn some skills on flats (and personally I always ride flats). Lots of people who cant actually bunnyhop etc without being clipped in.

Second hand bikes are like second hand cars, a fraction of the cost of new, but potential money pits, buyer beware! If you can do your own repairs/maintenance then second hand with a careful inspection will save you loads/get more for your money. Just watch you dont get a "bargain" that costs 1000 to fix.

Body swerve Avid brakes (piston/caliper corrosion issues, different bleed method to normal), or budget to replace, Hope are nice, Shimano XT are really hard to beat for the money, generally hassle free.

Another reason to stick with your bike for a little while is you might change what you want to do, people often buy a bike and then discover they want to do something different with it.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm PostPost subject:
McBride
established user

I have never done any real offroad biking mainly just road cycling & small trails, keep wanting to go somewhere but not sure where to go local? (im usueless with knowing area's etc)

A friend lives next to glentrees hes got into MTB recently ill be heading down when the weather improves a bit.

I have a pretty budget hard tail mountain bike Voodoo Embarassed

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

aye, i'll just keep/use this one till the summer anyway Very Happy
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:17 pm PostPost subject:
gingernuts
user

Ive only really properly got into mountain biking in the last year. I spent ages deciding what I wanted and ended up going for an all mountain enduro type bike. The routes we do are pretty steep and techy but didnt want to go to a full downhiller and lose the ability to the uphill stuff or be struggling on the bits between down hills which most routes in scotland are based around.

Mines got 160mm travel lockable suspension and a dropper post combined with geometry that means it rides really nice on cross country types stuff whilst still being able to smash rough rocky and rooty downhill trails and without the big forks and slack geo that makes it cumbersome on technical downhills. Have ridden most of the trail centres in scotland and a couple of resorts in the alpes and dont regret the choice at all.

I went for an off the shelf complete rather than a second hand bike as I didnt want to spend more time upgrading and tweeking the bike than I did riding it. At my ability level any off the shelf is going to out ride me so was happy with that and a warranty gave it a bit of a no worries feel to the first year.

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Andy10v wrote:
I would echo the learn some skills on flats (and personally I always ride flats). Lots of people who cant actually bunnyhop etc without being clipped in.

I had to check, but yes... i can still bunnyhop Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:13 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

clarkyboy wrote:
Adam,

For me a must is a Rock Shox dropper seat post

I will have a look into one... I had my seat raised for flat/climbs yesterday, and really struggled to get a nice position when going down rocks and stumps Laughing

My post isnt even quick release... so def would benifit
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm PostPost subject:
McBride
established user

AK wrote:
clarkyboy wrote:
Adam,

For me a must is a Rock Shox dropper seat post

I will have a look into one... I had my seat raised for flat/climbs yesterday, and really struggled to get a nice position when going down rocks and stumps Laughing

My post isn't even quick release... so def would benifit

Iv been looking into them swell i can see the benefit, i was always forgetting to adjust my seat

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next   Page 1 of 11

View previous topic
View next topic