Speeding fine help

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 pm PostPost subject: Speeding fine help
gingernuts
user

Received notice of a speeding fine a few months ago, went straight to procurator fiscal. I was away at the time and my old man sent off the form saying the vehicle was mine. It was 71 in a 50 at the laurencekirk junction (I know I know, daft, and I know all the cameras on the A90, but it was a mobile unit that got me as you enter the 50, so where I would usually start slowing down).

They gave a court date and asked for a plea, but I was going to be away, so notified them of this, I was told to make a plea before the date, but I advised I would like to see the evidence before I make a plea. Ive now received the photos, and am trying to figure out the best course of action. Choices are, get a decent lawyer whos used to these things, although Im not sure what they will be able to do. Or wait and see what the court have to say back and plan from there.

Anyone any ideas or experience with this sort of thing?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:07 pm PostPost subject:
gingernuts
user

Just to add. The photo only shows me speeding as I enter the 50, but didnt get done by the static unit, so could I not argue that I noticed the sign late and managed to slow down? Long shot I know.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:31 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

IMHO if it was you driving & speeding dont make it worse by lying or paying someone else to manipulate the truth.
It's only 3-6pt, 80-200 & wiped off after 4yr so not worth it mate

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

I would just put it down to experience.

You know to slow down FOR the 50 next time.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:09 pm PostPost subject:
gingernuts
user

Chris I know Im not going to get away without some for of penalty I just want to make sure its the minimum possible, I dont have any points just now and would like to keep it that way, or even make sure its the minimum number of points. Whether that means some sort of trade off for an increased fine I dont know. like I said, Im looking for someone in the know about this sort of thing, not someone to lie for me.

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

Just tell the truth/plead as early as possible & you minimise the outcome in my experience is all I'm saying. It's easy to try to tweak the facts a bit Wink

Best of luck as I know it can be a lottery between courts & sheriffs regards continuity of outcome regardless. 71 in a 50 can't be more than 6pt can it?

Very Happy

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 am PostPost subject:
Steviej
user

I got caught out by the same 50mph limit last year, Laurencekirk going north, 61mph 100 fine and 3 points Sad

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 am PostPost subject:
Oggy
established user

It must of just been over there tolerance for not just giving you points & fine.
I got caught by the police around 8 years ago outside Inverness doing 94mph in a 70 zone. I thought that would of been court but it was 3 points & 60 fine.......to be fair the police were really good about it as the road was dead so not a huge danger Rolling Eyes

Its a tricky 1 as I would be in the same boat with trying to reduce the point collection and just pay bigger fine, however you might always run the risk of upsetting the court especially if you get a judge who doesn't tolerate speeding regardless of how little you were over the limit

Hope it works out alright for you Smile

Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:42 pm PostPost subject:
Ibiza125
established user

You've been summoned to the courts for doing 71 in a 50?

That unlucky... There are untold limits of when they send you to court for a speed, as a rough guideline you can see them here: http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_guidance_on_fixed_penalty_notices/

As for your situation, were you clearly in the 50mph zone when they caught you? If so there isn't really much you can do about it. All I would suggest is don't fight it if it's clear you're in the wrong as it will only make matters worse. Unless the paperwork has any obvious mistakes...

Megane 225 Cup
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:39 pm PostPost subject:
Sandy
user

Plead guilty, apologise, cite your clean license for x years, put down it was a temporary lack of concentration due to other traffic around you or something like that, state you have learned from it and will be more vigilant and watch your speed in future. May also be worth mentioning its a reduction section of only a few 100m long on a 60 odd mile stretch of 70mph limit dual carriage way - which they will note by your recorded speed you were travelling at (71mph in the 70) - you had just failed to slow down early enough for.

Thats what I did and by doing so it was seen as not wasting court time and showing remorse, got an acceptable outcome and in these situations they will always give a lower punishment than if you go to court and lose.

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:35 pm PostPost subject:
gingernuts
user

Ok some good info.

Sandy did you do that before it went to court? Unfortunately I have missed the proposed initial court date which I gave them warning of as I was offshore.

I dont know what happens now as they havent made it clear what the next step are. But as you say, if I mail them again with a guilty plea and and explanation and see where it goes from there.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic