Track Impreza STi V4 Type R

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 93, 94, 95  Next   Page 94 of 95

Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

The supercopa's are nice but there is more "interesting" options out there.

He says having never been out with one....

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

foz01 wrote:
The supercopa's are nice but there is more "interesting" options out there.

He says having never been out with one....

Wash yer mouth out.....

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:27 am PostPost subject:
foz01
WankR
WankR

I did consider one myself but the red lotus seduced me..

How is your one?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

foz01 wrote:
I did consider one myself but the red lotus seduced me..

How is your one?

Sick but getting healthier....lol

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:38 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

alistairolsen wrote:
It's always seemed odd to me that knockhill has wound up with multiple one make series which are all kind of 'the same'.

I'm aware of the differences, but there are three series all running the same tyre sizes, power to weight, approximate prep costs etc and on the other side, people racing SLS etc complaining they dont want to join any of these series due to lack of pace.

Now sure, a race series for 450bhp imprezas quickly gets out of hand, but the prep cost for a proper E36 with a 6 cylinder engine isnt far different from a 4 cyl compact.

The BMW 330 Cup potentially was interesting and being touted by the same group as established the Compact Cup. However, the cars failed to materialise for reasons unknown. Confused

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:54 pm PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

It was yet another series, and not different enough to the compacts to run alongside. Most of the folk who would have been interested will already be racing compacts and it's a leap of faith into a new class with no grids yet.

We've been through the same with sailing. You cant create diversity with infinite choice, or you wind up back at everyone driving different cars (30 classes of one Razz) so you have to mandate classes with a wide enough spread that there is something for everyone and from the comments I've heard that's not the case at the moment.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:04 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

alistairolsen wrote:

I just dont get why people looked at the STs and saw the need for a nat asp mini class, or why with all of that going on, the BMWs centred around the compact with a small engine and E30 rear suspension instead of the 325/8.

I dont dislike any of the classes, I just dont get how they are different enough to warrant having all of them!

A number of different things have been tried over the years by SMRC. There was a popular Caterham class, but it never attracted enough numbers as stand alone. Relatively "low-cost" cars has always been the mainstay of most regional club motorsport. 750MC have various "Hot Hatch" options, MGs have a Championship for ZRs (others have faded away).

The MINIS have been on the go for over 10 years, and started off as a multi-discipline championship, not a race championship. They were far cheaper than the STs.

STs started as a local class for National Championship cars, and at that time were on slicks, so more cost. There used to be around 6-8 or so which started at the back of a very health XR2 grid. The idea was the ST would be a progression option from XR2s, but this never really proved popular as XR2s were relatively cheap. Another prohibitive cost which persisted until 2017 was the Championship used AST suspension at around 3000. For 2017 a cheaper option will be available.

The BMW Compact Cup was promoted by BMWRacedays and negotiated space on the SMRC race programme. The specification was, and largely remains, the same as the English Championship. It has proved attractive to those who prefer RWD alternative to the FWD hatchbacks. The base cost of the cars is also very cheap at <1000 Until recently, you'd stuggle to find a complete and working MINI, nor ST for that money and decent XR2 shells and many parts are like hens teeth.

The MINI Cooper S should provide a relatively affordable performance upgrade path for the future, using either existing or new-build cars.

Legends are recovering and Andrew Donald is working hard to entice newcomers and returnees as well as visitors fro Ireland. Engine costs will be cut for next year as well. I expect we'll see some good grids of them next year.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:00 pm PostPost subject:
Team Cowie
user

scottish scrutineer wrote:
alistairolsen wrote:

I just dont get why people looked at the STs and saw the need for a nat asp mini class, or why with all of that going on, the BMWs centred around the compact with a small engine and E30 rear suspension instead of the 325/8.

I dont dislike any of the classes, I just dont get how they are different enough to warrant having all of them!

A number of different things have been tried over the years by SMRC. There was a popular Caterham class, but it never attracted enough numbers as stand alone. Relatively "low-cost" cars has always been the mainstay of most regional club motorsport. 750MC have various "Hot Hatch" options, MGs have a Championship for ZRs (others have faded away).

The MINIS have been on the go for over 10 years, and started off as a multi-discipline championship, not a race championship. They were far cheaper than the STs.

STs started as a local class for National Championship cars, and at that time were on slicks, so more cost. There used to be around 6-8 or so which started at the back of a very health XR2 grid. The idea was the ST would be a progression option from XR2s, but this never really proved popular as XR2s were relatively cheap. Another prohibitive cost which persisted until 2017 was the Championship used AST suspension at around 3000. For 2017 a cheaper option will be available.

The BMW Compact Cup was promoted by BMWRacedays and negotiated space on the SMRC race programme. The specification was, and largely remains, the same as the English Championship. It has proved attractive to those who prefer RWD alternative to the FWD hatchbacks. The base cost of the cars is also very cheap at <1000 Until recently, you'd stuggle to find a complete and working MINI, nor ST for that money and decent XR2 shells and many parts are like hens teeth.

The MINI Cooper S should provide a relatively affordable performance upgrade path for the future, using either existing or new-build cars.

Legends are recovering and Andrew Donald is working hard to entice newcomers and returnees as well as visitors fro Ireland. Engine costs will be cut for next year as well. I expect we'll see some good grids of them next year.

Hi Renny

Any word from SMRC about any changes to the S&S championship to try and get the numbers up ?

Keith

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:03 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

Team Cowie wrote:

Hi Renny

Any word from SMRC about any changes to the S&S championship to try and get the numbers up ?

Keith

Yep, a hopefully you'll be joined by a few MINI Cooper S cars. There may be some BMW 330s if anyone has finished building them.

I don't know of anything being suggested to the Club to address any particular problems.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:27 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Nearly ready to part company with it.

Its in at WP getting some of the gucci bits removed to swap onto the blue car.

Its replacement is very manly Not With Yours broom broom Embarassed

Good job its coming under the term 'Fee's car'
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:11 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Is it the bright pink one that was doing the rounds?

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:12 am PostPost subject:
Fee
Site Admin

It will be going lucky blue...don't worry
Sell your turbo so I can get a respray Razz

R32 GTR: TimeAttack - Track Scotland

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

this one, aye

Build thread is on here too
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:12 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

very pretty really sets off your eyes adam. i do like how all the bits are pink Smile

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:13 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

The thread lives on..... Laughing

So..... the car (rolling shell, drive train, electrics and safety stuff) has gone.... along with 3 sets of wheels, slicks/wets, spare body panels etc etc

Sad to see it go.... but as you can prob see from the pic I have had zero time since I used that car at Last SLS double header (still wearing John Stevenson's race nos).... and manky as hell.

Initial strip down of engine....

Shim out from valve/lifter - valve snapped - piston & valve mate = mess. Mess has crossed to other bores resulting in light scoring

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 93, 94, 95  Next   Page 94 of 95

View previous topic
View next topic