Project build

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:33 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

thanks all - some great insights from I guess all skills in the mechanical spectrum Smile

Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:04 pm PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

Ecosse wrote:
Vroomtshh wrote:
Having been in the same position, I'd tell you to avoid it. You'll get fed up after a year of not driving the car and get to the stage where you hate working on it

This, so very much this.

If you want a project car, go ahead and do it.

BUT, try to keep something that you can just go out and enjoy at the same time.

Nothing more infuriating than just throwing money & time at something and missing track day after track day and nice weekends.

Getting a wee running project car that you can tinker with will let you start getting confidence using the tools and working on something.

ALWAYS keep all projects running, unless for very well defined periods.

Having a track car, doing some mods, doing another trackday etc is enjoyable and rewarding, spending 12 months building something and not driving in the hope it will be awesome proves difficult for both motivation, expense and schedule slip and before you know it, its two winters and a season or two.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

100% - if you dont keep it running you will soon lose interest in it.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:57 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

yah definitely which I imagine would be tough if you for example went the emicen strip route - unlike him I aint no superman so no stupidly fast turn around Smile Had a good look at both BMW & Mini at weekend and was weighing up all the pros/cons of me. interesting options indeed though a few more thugs in the mini's :p

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:02 pm PostPost subject:
ciaranrb5

Sounds like fun.
I'm fairly handy on the tools and started converting my RB5 for track use.
Got fed up after 18 months and gave up and sold the lot.
Bought a V2 sti and did similar,
Bought a P1 to build a track car,
Spent 2 years going through various levels of being excited to get it finished then to wanting to sell up the lot.
I ended up paying a mate to do it and then drove 800 miles a fecking expensive dog box broke so I sold the whole shebang.
It can be very frustrating and seriously expensive.

I will be back but with a kit car of sorts Laughing

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:25 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

If anyone that enjoys the building side wants to build a BMW 330 for the new compact supercup that would be great Wink

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:28 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

So decided deffo going to build and to hell with it! Need to learn and get rather alot of tools Wink

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Good man!!!

BMW 330? For the race series? Or something else?

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

thats deffo an option but waiting to see what, if any, the mini option is. Was talking with g/f's dad who has done stuff and was talking and well worst case can put it all in a trailer and give it to someone else to finish Wink

But realistically alot i can do. But some stuff i wouldnt and couldnt do - putting cage in etc..

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:48 am PostPost subject:
tastyturbo
established user

Fair play to you fella Thumbs Up

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:51 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Rome wasn't built in a day. But, at least it was built!!!

Don't try and do everything at once or you will just end up losing interest, with a box of bits and a shell to sell. If you do one mod/upgrade at a time you can evaluate the effectiveness of each upgrade and it will help you understand how each item effects the car.

A lot of people build two cars - the first one how you think it should be done, and the second how it should be done.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:24 am PostPost subject:
tastyturbo
established user

Steve H wrote:
Rome wasn't built in a day. But, at least it was built!!!

Don't try and do everything at once or you will just end up losing interest, with a box of bits and a shell to sell. If you do one mod/upgrade at a time you can evaluate the effectiveness of each upgrade and it will help you understand how each item effects the car.

A lot of people build two cars - the first one how you think it should be done, and the second how it should be done.

Sounds like very good advice

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:26 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

to be honest i kinda worry as i am a perfectionist so i imagine will piss about more than is required Smile oh you can do braided brake hoses, oh you can redo all the switches to a fancy panel, oh you can blah blah.

need something to occupy the cold winter nights Smile or cold winter spring, or cold winter summer

Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:35 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

This was my Fiesta build from a bare shell - http://trackscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1222

I had a clio at the same time so it was a second car and was good fun rather than annoying. It was like a big jigsaw puzzle but having to buy the pieces.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:59 am PostPost subject:
nefarious
user

Having done a few, my advise is this:
Keep your eye on the big picture, and have a plan

In project management terms they refer to it as the "critical path" - the set of dependent relationships involved in turning your box of bits into a working racecar. e.g. if you're repainting the shell, you need to do that first before fitting the engine etc... This will be particularly important on a first build if you're having to rely on other people to do jobs you can't (e.g. welding, painting, engine rebuilding)
There's nothing more frustrating that having to do jobs twice because you didn't plan properly from the beginning. It's often very tempting to race forward with "milestone" jobs (or just wanting to immediately fit the box of shiny stuff that just arrived in the post!), only to then realise you don't have easy access to get more mundane stuff sorted (e.g. bolting on all the engine ancilliaries before you've figured the exhaust/gear linkage paths etc).
I like lists - they make sure things don't get forgotten and help keep motivation up as you knock things off them. They also mean you immediately know what's on the agenda when you arrive at the garage, and don't spend half a day pissing about with something not terribly high up the priority list simply because it was the first thing you saw lying on the bench.
Oh, and work tidy. I used to be completely shambolic in both my working practices and my garage organisation, but now I've had an almost military level of disapline drilled into me by having to share a garage space with somebody else, I find that a) I get a lot more done b) I get a lot less frustrated and c) I make fewer mistakes (tidy garage, tidy mind etc etc).
Good luck, it's an adventure!

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   Page 2 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic