Cheap and easy to use camera setup

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 6 of 10

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:04 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Yeah that would be perfect, can I get them at the February track day save posting them?

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:08 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

aye, sure can Smile
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:34 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

I've got 3 of these now, seems like a really good package for the money. Really handy having the LCD screen on the back too, will make set-up a lot easier.

Usual Chinese quality instructions, I take it "Car Mode" is the mode we want for USB switching?

Only other point to make is that the cases will definitely need modified for MSA event use. There is no way of mounting the camera without the case and if you switch to the non-waterproof back, you can get a cable tie through the case for 2nd'ry restraint. Dremel/Drill will sort the hole required for USB connection.

Just waiting for the 12v USB connectors to arrive then will get installed.

Thanks for the heads up Alistair.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 pm PostPost subject:
Merlin
established user

I'm glad to see that it is working out for people now that we are past my muck up with the crappy cheapo camera's. I have two of the crappy ones (as well as my SJ4000) and they are seriously crappy.

Yes car mode is the option to have the camera turn on and off with the power attached. Personally I turn off "cyclic recording" as that allows the camera to record one single long vid, rather than segmetalising the vid into 1/3/5/10 min sections.

HummuH wrote:
I've got 3 of these now, seems like a really good package for the money. Really handy having the LCD screen on the back too, will make set-up a lot easier.

Usual Chinese quality instructions, I take it "Car Mode" is the mode we want for USB switching?

Only other point to make is that the cases will definitely need modified for MSA event use. There is no way of mounting the camera without the case

You should have a holder for the camera that has threaded holes for mounting the camera. Like this:

Internally this will allow you to mount it like this (which I have had no issue with SLS scrutineering):

For external mounting yes you will have to dremmel the side of the waterproof casing. I have done this already and it is fairly simple to do. There is enough space on the case:

I used this clip to externally mount the camera's waterproof case on my front splitter. I used a small bolt to attach the clip to the splitter.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Thanks mate. I'm quite surprised that passed scrutineering tbh, did you have a 2nd'ry restraint (cable tie) on it? There's not much keeping the camera in place in an impact.

Think I'll just keep the cases on the cameras given they'll never leave the car.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:27 pm PostPost subject:
Merlin
established user

I think it passes scrutineering as the camera is clamped into the holder, I can't see the camera ever coming loose from it, and the mount is clamped to my cage.

I did have to use secondary restraints for my old sucker based camera mount and I use a cable tie for my PerformanceBox.

The only problem with using the waterproof case is that the sound quality is reduced. However, I am sure the kit comes with a replacement rear panel for the waterproof case that has a hole for the sound. Obviously with this other panel in place the case is no longer waterproof.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:07 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

HummuH wrote:
Thanks mate. I'm quite surprised that passed scrutineering tbh, did you have a 2nd'ry restraint (cable tie) on it? There's not much keeping the camera in place in an impact.

Think I'll just keep the cases on the cameras given they'll never leave the car.

I'll be having a closer look next time Embarassed Laughing

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:41 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Woops, sorry lads Very Happy

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:56 pm PostPost subject:
Merlin
established user

Laughing it will be easy enough to comply if it is needed.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:54 am PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Its hard enough to get the camera back out of the little holder - no way it would come out in a crash.

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:17 am PostPost subject:
James B
established user

I was concerned about the secondary restraint issue so have two methods of sorting;

1) I bought these wee tethers. http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/camera-mounts/gopro-camera-tethers Expensive but useful.

2) I bought a load of these Velcro cable tidies which were much more versatile http://www.amazon.co.uk/Approx-100pcs-Velcro-Wire-Cable-Straps---Black/dp/B00H93B7YO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452075389&sr=8-3&keywords=velcro+cable+ties
Cheap too!

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 am PostPost subject:
Merlin
established user

Daveb wrote:
Its hard enough to get the camera back out of the little holder - no way it would come out in a crash.

This is my opinion as well. It is difficult enough to get it out by hand. There should be a wire cable in the Sj4000 Kit that can be used as a secondary restraint.

If scrutineering deems the holder to be safe but still needs a a secondary restraint for the way it attaches to the car I think that this may be a valid solution:

Wire:

Wire over threaded post:

Sandwiched between camera holder and "clamp":

The other end available for a cable tie to your cage etc...:

Or bolt the wire to the top threaded hole on the holder (bolt for illustration):

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:03 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

I'd probably be happy with that Smile

I've seen failures at the hinge area on Go-Pro type casings, possibly due to vibration, as well as impact situations which is why the secondary restraint needs to be at the camera body/housing. The other failure is with the attachment to the bodywork failing, especially with suction mounts which have damaged cups, or are on panels which flex breaking the seal.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:55 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

my real SJ (fake GoPro), next to the fake SJ fake GoPro Laughing

500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:10 pm PostPost subject:
Avo
user

Ive got 2 of them fake SJ's lol, i got them for 15 each with 3 extra batterys, aslong as they take video's im not worried lol

I tried them out around the house and they seem fine(ish) not sure how well they will do with speed though lol

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next   Page 6 of 10

View previous topic
View next topic