Left Foot Braking

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 pm PostPost subject: Left Foot Braking
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

So, been using my left foot to brake when warming up the tyres and brakes, seems to work well, and sometimes during a race (Chicane & Clarks)

Only issue is, my left foot has the touch of an elephant. First application of the pedal is usually far too heavy and don't have the "feel" that I have in the right boot.

So, anyone got any tips or exercises I can put into practice to make my left foot more like my right foot? Very Happy

Thanks.

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:05 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

interesting point i know i never do it - how many people that race/track here actually do it and does it help. I tried on caterham and the pedals with my left foot become either on or off Smile

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:33 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

I do it, suits how I like the car set up and helps with certain aspects of race pace. Generally only 2 corners for us that need a downshift at KH so that makes life simpler.

Feels like having an on/off switch on most modern VAGs or anything else with a hyperactive servo right enough!
www.performance-spares.com

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:48 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I think its just down to practice, and potentially having a sequential car/paddle shift car would help I'd think.

I use it only on out lap, and normally takes me a couple of corners to get the feeling... I think I will endeavor to use left foot braking for duffus (i dont downshift) and clarks...

McIntyres I trail brake just now, so may help here
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

I only ever did it on the warm up lap or into Clarks & Chicane too.

Bit easier with the obp pedal box, no servo & my smaller discs etc as you need to hit it the pedal really hard to get any real braking.

Exercise/training wise I practice(d) in my road car (auto) & work van (manual) & whilst it still felt wrong on track it did seem easier with practice...until another vw was behind me then everything went pete tong Laughing

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

It's one of my goals once I get the paddle shift and clutch-less down changes. I have tried it, and as Adam says, you quickly develop a feel for it. I think the heavy left foot (initially) is a lot to do with the clutch conditioning your leg, rather than any less co-ordination with it.
Duratec in Detail

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:21 am PostPost subject:
alistairolsen
established user

emicen wrote:
I do it, suits how I like the car set up and helps with certain aspects of race pace. Generally only 2 corners for us that need a downshift at KH so that makes life simpler.

Feels like having an on/off switch on most modern VAGs or anything else with a hyperactive servo right enough!

Duffus and the hairpin? Sounded odd when I read it, but I've never really stopped to think about it before Embarassed

Haha agreed, same with heel toe, or anything else whish needs steady braking, sadly all modern cars are going the same way.

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:41 am PostPost subject:
James B
established user

I'm wanting to learn how to Heel and Toe in the Alfa. It'll save me some gearboxes over the years I'm sure and should give a little more stability under braking in the wet and avoid 'under rotation' of the rear axle. My problem is that I have big feet and the space in the Alfa is tight. I may just end up mashing a few pedals all at once with no control!! haha

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:43 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

.... Malc

Assuming Hairpin to give the front some more bite on turn in?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 am PostPost subject:
chorlton
established user

AK wrote:
.... Malc

Assuming Hairpin to give the front some more bite on turn in?

I read him the other way round i.e didn't at hairpin & duffus as downshifting Question

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

ahh, ok... yeah I mistook Alistairs comments for Malcoms Laughing He didnt say which corners he left braked at!

Hairpin would be quite hard in a normal gearbox.

Duffus, Chicane, Clarks are all candidates for me
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:30 am PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

Yeah, don't/can't at hairpin and Duffus cause we're downshifting at those corners. MacIntyres and Clarks are where it's useful, occasionally it allows you to sort out something squirrelly before Leslie's where lifting or normal braking would spin you in to the gravel.
www.performance-spares.com

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:34 pm PostPost subject:
scottish scrutineer
established user

chorlton wrote:
<snip>
Exercise/training wise I practice(d) in my road car (auto) & work van (manual) & whilst it still felt wrong on track it did seem easier with practice...until another vw was behind me then everything went pete tong Laughing

Issue with many modern road cars is that the ECUs are programmed that if the brakes are applied whilst the throttle is also pressed, it kills the engine power. Thus denying the full left foot braking experience. I found this out when I had my Fabia VRS and tried to kill wheelspin/understeer by LFB Embarassed

Using an automatic to LFB is a good way to practice and unlearn the muscle-memory of just pushing a clutch pedal all the way down. It should develop the sensitivity required.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:16 pm PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

scottish scrutineer wrote:
chorlton wrote:
<snip>

Issue with many modern road cars is that the ECUs are programmed that if the brakes are applied whilst the throttle is also pressed, it kills the engine power. Thus denying the full left foot braking experience. I found this out when I had my Fabia VRS and tried to kill wheelspin/understeer by LFB Embarassed

Using an automatic to LFB is a good way to practice and unlearn the muscle-memory of just pushing a clutch pedal all the way down. It should develop the sensitivity required.

I've been trying it in the X5 but the pedals are so offset to the right I think I've dislocated my left hip.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic