Harnes shoulder straps - crossed or uncrossed?

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:23 am PostPost subject: Harnes shoulder straps - crossed or uncrossed?
Merlin
established user

Should the shoulder straps of your harness be crossed or uncrossed behind the seat? I originally had them crossed but one of the more junior scrutineers told me to uncross them. Today I have seen documentation that says they should be crossed.

http://www.schroth.com/installation-instructions/en/03_anchorage_locations_and_geometries.htm

Any ideas?

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:33 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

I think crossed with HANS... but ours are uncrossed and never been picked up for it.
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:57 am PostPost subject:
HummuH
SMRC S&S Rep

Think you're only meant to cross them with HANS when the fixing point is further back towards the rear of the car i.e. bar between rear struts on cage. If it's close to the seat i.e. the 8" they recommend then you do not cross them.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:58 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

My reading of it the HANS guidelines was that the angle is the important thing, and as the fixing points move back they may need to cross.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:26 pm PostPost subject: Re: Harnes shoulder straps - crossed or uncrossed?
scottish scrutineer
established user

Merlin wrote:
Should the shoulder straps of your harness be crossed or uncrossed behind the seat? I originally had them crossed but one of the more junior scrutineers told me to uncross them. Today I have seen documentation that says they should be crossed.

Any ideas?

As You'll be running HANS next season, consider these points
    Make sure the straps converge as shown in your diagram. This stops the harness slipping off the yoke of the HANS.

Keep the strap length as short as possible as that reduces the potential stretch distance in an impact.

Follow the guidance that will be provided with the HANS

Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm PostPost subject:
UncleF
user

I know I'm a total Noob, and can't offer anything technically..

But my interpretation of the following statement in the above linked guidance was that the crossing of the harnesses was independant of the restraint devices being used, and only a function of the distance from the seat back to the fixing position. I could well be incorrect, just my interpretation of the following excerpt on the bottom of page 12...I believe it just informs the user that this is even more vital when using a HANS - rather than it only applies when using a HANS - again I could be very well wrong in this.

"For the best restraint of the occupant’s upper torso, ideal anchor points should not be further back than 200 mm [8”] from back of user’s seat.
In the event that the anchor points are further towards the rear of the vehicle [e.g. using a roll cage bar for wrap around attachment] the distance between the strap anchor points will narrow or even cross over as described in following graphs and tables.
· It is especially crucial to follow this strap routing when HANS® is in use."

This is what I ended up doing....

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Technical    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic