Ugly Duckling

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 am PostPost subject: Ugly Duckling
Wull
user

I wasn't going to bother with making a project thread with this car but seeing as though I'll be doing SLS next year with it I thought it made sense to, especially as I have a bit to do before then. It also means I can get as much help, tips, advice etc from people who know more than me as any pointers are more than welcome.

The car is a 2002 Subaru Impreza sti with a decent spec, I originally took it in part x for my hatch sti and the plan was to sell on. I decided to do a track day in it and the clutch failed, so after replacing the clutch I thought it made no sense at all to sell it on so the idea then was to keep for sti at least a year, enjoy track days and maybe attempt SLS. I'm 99% sure I'm going to do it.

Spec is

2008 ej25 with ej20 heads machined to fit.

Fully built, mahle pistons, Manley rods, acl bearings, arp head studs, Cosworth gaskets, gt30 hybrid turbo, RCM headers, 850cc injectors, live mapped by AF @ 1bar (made 319bhp on Hypertech rollers @ 0.85bar)
Suspension is BC br coilovers and the brakes are standard Brembos with rc5+ pads.

The clutch that was fitted was a Competition twin plate with hydraulic clutch release bearing and that was an absolute nightmare to drive, but after the first outing on a wet Knockhill it started slipping after only 3 laps :Suspiciou

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jsE0O2Bud-4

So that was all swapped out for an Exedy hyper twin plate and what a difference, much better now, easier to drive on the road and a much better feel that I'm happy with. I was out @ Knockhill on the 29/9 and it done the trick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UU5NvStfmU

Both days above were done on Uniroyal Rainsports 3's, my PB was 62.6s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ULUNHyZfjmI

Above was the last trackscotland track day of the year, this time with Michelin Pilot sport 4's fitted. Consistent 62.1s laps towards the end but earlier I managed a 61.6s but the battery had died on the camera.

So the plans for next year are......

Another map by AF to about 1.4bar, I'm estimating that will be roughly 400-420bhp. I was advised by AF to get a 3 bar map sensor, std one currently fitted. I'm not entirely sure if the inlet vvt is working as apparently that couldn't be mapped in at an earlier date due to a sensor issue.

Suspension wise I'm going to keep the BC coilovers fitted but fit Whiteline products, front arb, rear arb, ALK etc etc. At the moment I'm thinking 22mm up front and 24mm rear, the does suffer from understeer and I'm thinking this will help. The current settings on the BC coilovers were 4/30 at the front and 1/30 at the back, I had never checked the settings before and only decided to have a look after the last track day. I can have a play with those settings next season.

Brakes : I'll keep the std Brembos but try uprated discs and stick with rc5+ pads with the view to swap over to XP's or others depending on how it goes.

I have a bucket seat ready to go in, I just need the frame, harness bar and harness and I'll get that fitted.

Track tyres.......I'll probably go with 888's

And that's it, except for race suit etc, race license etc.

I can't wait, I'm looking forward to seeing progress with the car and hopefully improving loads, times should come down. I'm fairly certain I'll do sub minute laps but you never know, at the end of the day I want to do this for the fun and enjoyment of it, I've wanted to do it for so many years but never got round to it.

Last edited by Wull on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:58 pm; edited 5 times in total

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Nice one, and good luck with SLS Thumbs Up
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:23 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Took advantage of Black Friday yesterday and purchased some Whiteline products.....

22mm adjustable front arb
24mm adjustable rear arb
Anti-lift kit Motorsport
Bump/steer correction kit

Still plenty to get and do......

I've also decided to get a trailer, makes perfect sense and removes any stress related to the car breaking down or if I have a mishap on track.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:02 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Thumbs Up
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Not much of an update, Whiteline products arrived.

I've also sourced 2 x new Toyo 888 tyres gg compound, still another 2 to buy. I had contemplated going with a set of sg compounds to use in the final as well but I'll just stick with the gg compounds for now. I'd need to source another set of wheels to do that so trying to keep the costs down.

It looks likely that the car will get mapped in January time by AF, then after that I'll get all the bits fitted and the geometry set up. I've got the trailer now so I don't need to worry about driving the car on the road with the track settings, no worrying about tyre wear.

And that's about it, I'm still undecided on brakes. I've just fitted a new set of rc5+ pads and the brakes feel ok, the judder could have been from extremely low pad material during the last outing or possibly a build up of pad material from the last pads. I had thought that it was rc5+ pads that were fitted but maybe not. I'll see how that goes as I might stick with the current set up. I know the issue is heat but they do feel good when working correctly.

Last edited by Wull on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Any photos? Do you know what class you'll be in for SLS?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Steve H wrote:
Any photos? Do you know what class you'll be in for SLS?

I値l try and get photos up, not so easy now after photobucket started their shenanigans.

After another map I reckon I値l be in Class C, at a rough guess I知 thinking roughly 220-40/ton.

So looks Like I値l be at the lower end of class c but I don稚 mind.

Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:30 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Having problems uploading pics

I値l need to start using other hosts.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:28 am PostPost subject:
Steve H
user

Wull wrote:
After another map I reckon I値l be in Class C, at a rough guess I知 thinking roughly 220-40/ton.

If you can make it to the top of a class it makes a huge difference, better to be at the top of class D than the bottom of class C.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Steve H wrote:
Wull wrote:

If you can make it to the top of a class it makes a huge difference, better to be at the top of class D than the bottom of class C.

Yeah true, i think at the current power I'll be roughly 190/ton so class D. I could try and map it and stay within D but it's a total guessing game, ideally what I need to do is get it checked the now and then make the decision and work out how much more bhp I could try and get but not go over the threshold.

Again though I'm not fussed about being competitive, just doing the best I can with what I've got. I'd like to see the difference in the car from 1 bar > 1.4 bar and how much faster that is on track.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

Not fully tested yet but I suspect HG failure, gutted. This wasn稚 part of the plan. I値l find out for sure first then make up my mind on what to do.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 am PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

what happened?
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user

AK wrote:
what happened?

I think roughly the 6/7th of November the blower started blowing cold air so immediately I expected the worst. Checked coolant level and it was low, there was coolant in the expansion tank but the hose that feeds the overflow bottle was a tad short, opened up the radiator cap and it looked dry, it took roughly 1.7-2ltr of coolant to fill.

I had a look around and noticed water leaking from the oil cooler water pipe, so presumed that over time the coolant level dropped and maybe drew in some air causing an airlock. After topping up the level hasn't budged, it's a very small leak.

Yesterday I decided to check the level and the car hadn't been run for over 3hrs and the water poured out as pressure was released, the coolant was stone cold.

I then decided to start the car to see how long it would take for the pressure to build, within 30 seconds I removed the cap and coolant came out as the pressure was released.

No overheating problems, never once, not even when the blowers went cold.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:22 am PostPost subject:
Wull
user

The hose arrived so I set about replacing that, I want to rule out an external leak first as the header tank is nearly empty after driving the car for a length of time.

A sniffer test has been ordered and I値l also do a compression test, once I know for sure I can set about getting everything else done.

If the HG is away I値l be struggling to get the car ready for the first track day.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm PostPost subject:
Wull
user

I致e replaced the hose ruling out external leaks, I also did the sniffer test and all is ok.

So I値l crack on as planned.

Send away for race license this month
Car mapped @ 1.2 & 1.4 bar
Power and weight @ Ra.

Then I値l get the car mot壇 I知 february and then booked in for all the suspension parts to be fitted and set up.

All in time for the first track day, fingers crossed.

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Projects Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3

View previous topic
View next topic