Garage suggestions

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:57 pm PostPost subject: Garage suggestions
andybell
established user

So I have a rather odd shaped garage - 3 proper cars long and oddly wide (4.2m) and it’s a solid concrete roof mostly(wood for one car length) and walls are either brick or proper old stone wall. As expected it gets super wet in winter caused by condensation forming on roof and drips down. Very wet I should say and the wood roof end of garage (left on picture below where garage door is) also gets condensation in cold

I tried a gamble (knew may not work) at back of garage where I did have caterham (before mini) where I baton’d wood to roof then got vapour barrier sheets/ attaches insulation and the wood underneath that. Can see how bad/damp its got

Gamble failed and the barons on roof are already rotting. Wanting to use part of garage for possibly sim rig so options are I think:

Give in and get something like a structured carcoon and everything inside that is fine - a cheat but would work 100%
Get an uber humidifier mailed a company and they said something like http://www.dry-it-out.com/dd3-classic-dehumidifier
Guess have some form of heat in there
Demolishing start again but stupid amount of cash for minimal gain - damp/wet cars put in garage always going to cause grief

Now the roof is as I said concrete on top and bizarrely thick - replacing roof and beam to support walls option wonder what cost would be?

Is it worth it just talking to someone professisonql about it as no experience in this. Pics to follow (mid clear out)

Last edited by andybell on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

first pic can see inside and mid tidy so its a total mess Smile

this pic shows the craptacular roof

this is length of garage and part of problem is i roof isn't 100% watertight as can see.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:15 pm PostPost subject:
David Long
established user

First thing is to eliminate the source of moisture that is causing the condensation. The first thing I would do is relay the floor with a vapor barrier - ie raise the floor with 2-3 inches of concrete with a proper barrier, perhaps even insulation too.

Next check the walls have a damp course and are properly rendered on the outside (if brickwork) and then build a wall inside to form a cavity wall. Make sure there's plenty of ventilation that flows through the walls and garage.

Finally build a ceiling with insulation and air space above, again with plenty of ventilation running end to end.

Or in might be easier/cheaper to do a new build.
Duratec in Detail

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:37 pm PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

You have some insider knowledge too having been in the dank damp thing. Cheers for thoughts

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:43 pm PostPost subject:
marshal-alan
established user

looks like damp will be getting in through walls and there is probably no damp course in walls or floor so ground moisture will get in. for working on cars as a rule a damp garage isnt the end of the world but tools and any exposed metal will rust. just fit weatherproof electrics

if you have space why not wheel in a old caravan for your man cave, save building a dry room

opinions are my own and not those of any organisation I am involved with

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 am PostPost subject:
andybell
established user

not sure about caravan but same concept as a veloce carcoon only advantage is that would control the air moisture/quality. Rest of garage i can cover most stuff at winter - cheers

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:58 pm PostPost subject:
emicen
established user

I’m with David on this one. My Celica was stored in a notionally dry environment in underground parking but half of it was over a puddle for most of the winter each year due to burst/crap drains. The acceleration of corrosion under the car is disturbing.

In a moist environment, the moist air will get under covers and settle on anything with a temperature delta to the surroundings.
www.performance-spares.com

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | General Chat    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic