Sim racing

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Gaming    Page 1 of 1

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:50 pm PostPost subject: Sim racing
cherry
user

Was looking to buy a sim set up but have not the slightest clue as to what is best for using and also what set ups to go for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:58 pm PostPost subject:
Ecosse
established user

Few things to let people know to be able to give you a better answer:

Do you already have a PS4 or PC? If PS4, do you want to stick with that or change to PC?
How much space do you have?
What's your budget?

Personally, I've got a lower-mid spec PC which was about £1000 including mouse/keyboard/monitor and that's good enough to do a single screen at 1080p graphics at 60fps. It would probably struggle with doing a VR headset or triple screens.

I've got a Logitech G29 wheel/pedals/gearstick setup (£200ish new), I originally just had it on my desk and used my desk chair which was fine but with a lot of noise being transferred through the desk.

I've went to a Playseat Challenge (about £160 now) as I wanted something that I could fold up and move out the way.

If you've got loads of dedicated space, you could get a triple screen and fixed back seat, a full cockpit style setup. And if you want to go daft you could get something like the Fanatec Elite (£1500).

Like everything, it's all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:32 am PostPost subject:
cherry
user

I dont have a ps4 or a pc, only a couple laptops just now. Thats why was unsure if a pc is the best option or a ps4?

Will probably be best pricing up options and going from there.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 pm PostPost subject:
Daveb
established user

Have a look at the different sims as well and see what you want to do.

Project Cars 2 is on both and one of the best for VR on the PC.

IRacing is only on PC.

PS4 has Gran Turismo Sport, Project Cars 2 etc...

PC has much more options Automobilista, Race Room, iRacing, PC2, rfactor etc...

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:11 pm PostPost subject:
Ecosse
established user

PC will give you a much bigger option of sims and can do a triple screen/VR, but has a much higher initial cost.

PC also means you've got a vast library of other games you can play and also have a desktop computer for doing general stuff too.

Can you/would you be ok building a pc yourself, or would you want to buy a pre built?

Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 pm PostPost subject: Re: Sim racing
W2Racing

cherry wrote:
Was looking to buy a sim set up but have not the slightest clue as to what is best for using and also what set ups to go for.

Any help would be appreciated.

I actually created an account to respond to this thread, maybe you have already taken the plunge but if not I have some advice. I've been sim racing for quite some time on PC and have tried pretty much every sim, several wheel combos, single, curved, triple monitor combinations and VRs over the past years.

I would definitely recommend getting a PC over a gaming system. Even a mid range PC will run any of the popular racing sims at settings that will look better than a gaming system. Plus the variety of sims, along with the mods that some offer make it a much better value.

For a wheel, I have a G29 and really like it, however I'm soon looking to upgrade to a Fanatec setup (not direct drive). The G29 is more than sufficient to get by, but the Fanatec looks, and feels much higher quality. This is a matter of what type of budget you are working with.

As far as sims go, for Offline racing I think the best option is Raceroom Racing Experience. I love touring car racing and this is the sim for that (officially licensed by both WTCR and DTM) as well as GT style racing - and the AI in Raceroom is second to none. If you prefer Open Wheelers I think Assetto Corsa or rFactor is the way to go (mods) or the F1 series if you prefer F1. For online racing the only choice is iRacing unless you are league racing in other sims. Pickup racing is a mess anywhere but on iR. I keep iRacing, Raceroom, rFactor 2 and Project Cars 2 permanently installed on my PC (PC2 is only because I have a bunch of friends who run on there for fun, definitely the least intimidating "sim" for non sim friends to race on).

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend getting a VR. I actually use a Lenovo Explorer (here in the states it regularly goes on sale for under $100, and I'm sure prices are comparable in the UK as well). If you can't get a VR I would get a wide curved monitor. I didn't like my triples and sold them after just a few months, although some prefer that method. Single monitor isn't the end of the world but I think it definitely puts you at a disadvantage, especially for online racing.

I hope this wasn't too long winded, I've been lurking here for awhile. Let me know if you have any questions and if its too late and you've already got your sim setup then congrats its a lot of fun. I know I ran thousands of laps on iR before ever making the jump to real racing and I was/am miles ahead of the people who jumped in with no sim experience.

Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Great post...

I'm needing to get myself a proper setup as the wife just moans when I set the wheel and screen up in the dining room Laughing
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed May 08, 2019 4:54 pm PostPost subject:
AK
Site Admin

Frames -

GT Omega or RSeat?

I want the option of 3 screens and VR so prob makes sense to go for a setup that has the mounts in place
500 - 1969 Fiat 500 L
Toureg 262 RLine
Track Scotland

Wed May 08, 2019 7:57 pm PostPost subject:
W2Racing

AK wrote:
Frames -

GT Omega or RSeat?

I want the option of 3 screens and VR so prob makes sense to go for a setup that has the mounts in place

I definitely want the GT Omega, I have an older Playseat Evolution which has been great for what it is, but I work remotely quite a bit and I have to maintain a separate desk to use my PC for anything other than turning virtual laps. The GT Omega looks like it would be comfortable to use for work, playing non racing sims, and of course for racing. It's on my list right after my Fanatec stuff. The RSeats look nice although maybe a bit cost prohibitive Laughing .

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm PostPost subject:
W2Racing

AK wrote:
Frames -

GT Omega or RSeat?

Just to follow up, I answered this question recently. I've had some set backs as far as real life racing goes so I'm taking a break and in the meantime I pulled the trigger on a GT Omega Pro, along with the Fanatec Wheel and Pedals.

I definitely like the GT Omega Pro, it's very, very solid (more solid than it looks even to be honest) and it is comfortable, and fairly easy to assemble (usable instructions would have been nice in some parts though). My only gripe is all of the modular attachments. I had planned to use the shifter mount for my handbrake for RX racing, and there is no way it is strong enough to stand up to a week of use, let alone any time beyond that. Also, with a normal sized keyboard and mouse the articulating keyboard tray definitely struggles. They are coming out with a new keyboard tray and I'll be buying that as soon as its available as I do a lot of gaming outside of sim racing and definitely need to be able to use it.

Also, for anyone considering Fanatec, I was blown away with the wheel. It is so much nicer build quality than the G29 I had, and the force feedback is much better as well. I'm still getting used to the load cell brake pedal, but everyone says it helps in the long run as well.

Here is the GT Omega (with my G29 attached as I couldn't wait an extra day until the Fanatec arrived)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PECQKAs1G4tRj2MPhTpkVsF1ohTkPXEZ/view?usp=sharing

Here is my Fanatec Formula wheel rim
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b7gOBQV4ovvEGNDV5m8dz4IsGDc0ylwi/view?usp=sharing

Here is my sad race car sitting in the shop waiting to hopefully race this year
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HOp5SlXpWHNHghPwzS4CWvin9RsC4ICj/view?usp=sharing

Post new topic Reply to topic trackscotland.co.uk Forum Index | Gaming    Page 1 of 1

View previous topic
View next topic